Author Topic: Pensions  (Read 667 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
Pensions
« on: January 11, 2021, 06:42:44 pm »
I've apparently got more invested in America than the footsie, investments are made proportional to the size of the market says the bloke I pay to know about this, so Trump leaving has put a turbo into the start of this year and we have now reclaimed the cost of the high speed highside that was Covid.

Yup that's a common approach unless one has a desire to invest 'locally'. However the FTSE100 is pretty much all multinationals with revenue sources and spending locations to match, so you have to get down to the FTSE250 before you are really investing in the UK.
But the UK is only about 5% of the global market! Popular sausages such as Vanguard over-index on the UK in their stuff though. I think I'm about 10% UK, though might change that a bit depending on what the next few months go like, I.e buy cheap.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:25:18 pm by richtea »
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: Pensions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 06:57:20 pm »
How much is in the pot isn’t half the game..., when you are going to take it, do you take the tax free lump sum, what other deals are they going to offer you and their are... I thought it was good fun wadding through it all but sum might not, and they problem being it’s your decision and no bugger else’s, because Mr Advisor isn’t the person who has to live with the decision.

The good news.... the money rolls up in the bank every month...so just after you have had a major spend up more rolls in ... and not had to do a dam thing for it WoooHooo  ;D

I opted out of SERPS for 3 years which by one of those quirks never got paid into my pension and went into another account  :) and that really is another story...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:27:32 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 08:23:10 pm »
There are some of us in here who are amazed that...

a) so many of you seem to understand pensions
b) are taking it very seriously at what in some cases seems to be a very young age and
c) seem to know (and even care) where your pot is being invested

But those of us who are amazed are those who, like me, have a cast iron, copper bottomed, gold plated final salary pension or two as well as the breadline-avoiding old-age wotsit.

When I escaped corporate life under a voluntary redundancy scheme in the early '90's from a US computer company that was committing corporate suicide, they provided independant pensions advice which for some dumb reason I listened to and acted on, dumping £30K odd of my reduncy pay-out into Additional Voluntary Contributions. Thank you to my boss at the time for threatening to kick my nuts off if I didn't go along to the extremely boring presentations. I really missed the Audi RS4 and the follow-up RS6 I was planning...

My ex-US employer's scheme, now owned by Hewlett Packard, has never, and will never pay an increase in my pension, but thankfully I have few needs and no dependants.

Comfort and security in one's old age is something no one under the age of 30 can possibly understand or appreciate.

Well done to you all.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:27:38 pm by richtea »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 09:12:01 pm »
The fact that the government is not going to pay up till one is 67  :o is as much incentive I can think of to come up with an alternative, and the other unknown that is always in the back ground ‘How much in your pot do you actually need’ whilst mine is just a laymen’s opinion £250,000.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:27:45 pm by richtea »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 10:13:49 pm »
Depends entirely on your lifestyle, location, age, savings, debts, mortgages, dependents, etc.
A hermit on a smallholding - £25k.
A banker in London - £2.5m.

Hang on a minute - how did we get here?

Someone drag it back to something interesting - quickly!

[DONE!]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:27:59 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:11:41 am »
The fact that the government is not going to pay up till one is 67  :o is as much incentive I can think of to come up with an alternative, and the other unknown that is always in the back ground ‘How much in your pot do you actually need’ whilst mine is just a laymen’s opinion £250,000.

Yeah and that's only going higher each time we bugger up the economy! I do also enjoy all the fun details of this planning. I enjoy planning :). And a good spreadsheet!

The ideal is get to age n and have mortgage done, which makes it a lot easier. I would also like the hermit plan :).

In topic: is anyone's rear light cluster on the K fogging up? It seems BMW can't make water tight lights. My brother's e36 headlight fogged, one of my K rear did, and my E46 headlight nearside too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:27:51 pm by richtea »
Brian c. 2019

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 11:36:30 am »
Perhaps the admin take these posts and start another thread..

Have to say never enjoyed dealing with a pension, just decided i’d Take my head out of the sand and sort it at an early age rather than having to deal with it when I was too old to do anything about it.

The reality...after 37 years in the print trade I was made redundant, the pension thing was already established, I get a phone call ‘Buy a LWB sprinter and come moving bikes with me’ I could write a book from travelling Europe to the phone ringing.. bring your kit MCN is a man short on a test...and we all got more than we bargained  for  :o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:25:50 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 04:41:37 pm »
Ah printing! Know any bloke called Langford? My uncle, was in that world for all his career around the Midlands.

Career changes I hope are a good thing :)
Brian c. 2019

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 05:33:23 pm »
A career change would be an understatement I went from working in a factory 12 hours a day to being paid to ride a bike.

While everything else was going on also drove the truck for Ducati to track days, get a phone call the comic want a 1098 can you ride it over...get there.. you might as well ride it during the test..fine by me... we head off following the photographer till he finds a nice piece of Road, then wants us to ride in staggered formation with a Rizla paper between us, ok back down the road and come back one at a time yea right... one of the others who name will remain anonymous says ‘I’ll swap the Blade for your 1098’ fair enough and off he goes, for want of a better discribtion I see a multicoloured plume in the distance and trundle (sort of) back on the Blade with no sign of the lad or the 1098.

Pull up realising the Scht has hit the fan, Where is he I ask... photographer is still taking photos and points in the ditch, having been through a hedge first, as luck would have it, he had both Barbour jacket and trousers over a one piece leather suit, the jack and trousers where completely shredded, WTF is the bike I ask with no sign of it.....

The ignition key was 15ft up in the hedge the engine and swing arm were 75 yards into a field, I phone the office up and suggestion they knock a new demo out of a crate  ;D

I had several years of the above and loved every second.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 06:32:39 pm »
More fun than printing!
Brian c. 2019

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 12:24:15 pm »
He was lucky you guys were around.

NOG sent a guy out on a S1000RR demo bike one morning. 'Take your time, it's yours for the day!'

Come closing time, someone asked where the demo was...

The police eventually found it through a hedge and well into a field on one of the 90's somewhere north of aforementioned Avebury.

He had apparently sent his brother a piccie of himself at Avebury with 'this fantastic bike' otherwise they would have had no idea where to look.

Both bike and rider were total write-offs (writes-off?).

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Crud catcher
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 08:26:19 pm »
Write-offs . It's hyphenated

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 08:36:06 pm »
I once got syphonated  ;D ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 08:49:14 pm »
Thankfully not bifurcated.

Edit: pensions. Are people living on annuity bought at retirement time or drawdown?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:50:52 pm by Matt »
Brian c. 2019

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 08:56:18 pm »
Oh and if you do have queries about your pension your provider will no deal with you direct, but they will if you prove you can prove you have had contact with ‘Pension Wise’