Author Topic: bike lift  (Read 373 times)

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
bike lift
« on: October 30, 2020, 11:42:52 am »
hi all, i thinking of getting a bike lift, just thinking mind but can't be arsed with getting up and down and rolling on the ground much more.
i looked at a few .. not many locally to look at mind but any i have seen or even studied in pictures simply don't fill me with confidence,
the abba stand looks ok...the fact some guys are sitting on the bike on the stand is good, and it can be raised front and rear to a good height is what i'm after, however the middle of the bike seems pretty low for oil changes etc.
i'm tempted to buy an old two poster car lift and convert it, it would have good height, be strong and if i engineered a folding platform would have a fairly small footprint. money wise i think it would be similar to most benches.
any thoughts ? what have you guys got?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: bike lift
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 12:59:46 pm »
I've got an EazyRizer Big Blue bike lift which works well and tucks out of the way when not in use.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 02:16:29 pm »
i did like the look of those tom but seem to be a bit awkward to put on and off, i also like the ability to move the bike out of the way when mounted, that said the eazyrizer does go to a good height.
does it infringe much on the mounting side? and can you do an oil change etc?
thanks for the pics by the way, service van is always useful!!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 05:00:13 pm »
Plenty of room on the pillar side. The pillar is angled away from the bike which helps. The first time I used it was a bit fiddly but I marked the position of the standard footpeg brackets which came with the lift and it's now a doddle to get the bike up in the air.

My mate used to park his Goldwing on an EazyRizer Blue and raise it up in the air so that his wife could get her MX5 into their garage with the front wing tucked under the bike on the stand.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 06:25:10 pm »
Blimey what a question....bought a full length hydraulic ramp must 5/6 years ago for the same reasons as the OP said, but in reality hardly ever used it, ended up putting garage foam tiles down and was just as happy working off a warm floor and sold the ramp to a mate earlier this year.

What makes the difference for me, is being able to walk out of my living room straight into the garage they are both at the same temperature
Re what I use, day to day, a Ducat single sider with a correct size peg to go in the rear drive, and a universal stand for the front, on the rare occasion when working on dog bones or rear shock ,then I have a BM ABBA stand.

The blip I have always had is if I need to take the front shock out and on the odd occasion got a dealer to do it.