Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 103 times)

Offline martinswad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200gt
« on: October 17, 2020, 07:02:53 pm »
Hi, just got a 1200 GT, lots of fettling to do, should keep me happy during the next lockdown :D Sounds like a bag of spanners in a cement mixer on start up so looks like cam chain investigation first :(

Offline revd

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Delkevic Exhaust, BoosterPlug, Hand Guards, R&G Case crash bungs. Swingarm Crash blob. BMW Tank Bag, Fender Extender, Optimate USB DIN Plug
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 07:48:58 pm »
Welcome!  I've found the gentlemen here to be helpful, informative and direct! 

There are a couple of videos on Camchain tensioner replacements on YouTube that are straight forward. Things like jump guards and so on are also recommended if not already done in recalls.

If you are not too far from Tonbridge, there is a very good independent BMW mechanic there for more in-depth work to engines. Scratch that, seen your location!
2 Kings 9:20
"and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he drives furiously!”

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 10:02:32 am »
Hi Martin amd welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

The first thing to ensure is that the 'recall, for the jump guard (plastic thing inside clutch cover to stop chain from jumping teeth when the tensioner loses its oil supply) and the taller tensioner (which has a larger oil reservoir so doesn't lose its oil supply so easily) have been fitted.

If the bike has a full dealer service history then this 'will' have been done...

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Brian

Online armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 06:57:47 pm »
They all do that sir!... ;). Try changing the oil first, mine sounded a lot healthier after I did a service (previous owner said he's just been back from Poland via the Nurburgring, which was a bit of a clue).

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! 220bhp at the wheel! :D
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 07:13:19 pm »
Hello and welcome.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org