Author Topic: Oil pressure low indicator  (Read 309 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Oil pressure low indicator
« on: October 11, 2020, 05:13:46 pm »
I got an 'oil pressure low' indicator today - the little oil can sign. Never seen that before! Ooooo.
However, the red warning triangle didn't appear (the manual says that will light up too) and you should pull over. No yellow/orange warning light either - just the small oil can indicator on it's own, quietly admonishing me.

I pulled over and ran the the oil check (as in the 'run for 1 minute whilst engine is warm' one) said the oil level was 'OK', but admittedly the actual sight tube showed it was quite low.

Since it wasn't showing a red triangle, and the indicator went off on the next start, I carried on (I was training, which isn't exactly strenuous on the engine). The indicator didn't come on again for the rest of the journey - another 20-30 miles or so.

All that was slightly confusing and contradictory. My guess is that the oil was genuinely low, but right on the cusp - hence the contradictory info.
Thoughts? Anyone else seen the oil pressue indicator without a red triangle?

(I have since topped it up, so I will take it out tomorrow/Tue, and re-check)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
Re: Oil pressure low indicator
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 07:59:51 pm »
What was the level after you got home, let it idle, shut it down and balanced... I mean put it on the centre stand?

I remember the last good service manager at Maidenhead saying how terrible the K is for ever being able to know confidently how much oil was in it :/.

I vaguely remember mine doing something similar once and as I was literally 1 mile from above garage I went there and... I forget the outcome, other than possibly that statement by that guy.
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 08:02:00 pm »
Do you want to borrow the sight glass from my GS?
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 09:19:19 pm »
With 3 Beemers i’ve Found the oil level check too be an art form,the level is normally based on the cooler holding a certain amount of oil but as the return valve wears it ain’t that straight forward, my preference is to leave the bike over night, it’s the only time you get the facts so to speak.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 09:49:11 pm »
When I was out, I did the normal hot engine oil check (as per owners manual), and it give me the usual 'good' result, i.e. :
    OK

When I got home and repeated (still hot engine), and bizarrely it just sat on:
    -------

I'm pretty sure I didn't have the sidestand down, but the time has now passed, and I can't be sure. Hey ho.

I did a visual check too, and was defo lower than I'd normally run it, so I guess the indicator was correctly indicating the level was a bit iffy, but in a slightly confusing way.
It's topped up now, and I'll just keep a close eye on it next time out.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 12:11:36 pm »
took me ages finding out how to check the thing for oil....had to go to the manual, bit of a fail for me, then again at m.o.t i was searching under the seat insisting the chassis number would be there, the examiner searching the front frame sure he was right... we didn't find it. (admited defeat and back to the manual for that one as well)
it's an awful type of oil check to my mind, as chris earlier said i also like to check for oil on a cold engine but the manual states the engine has to be warm, and not just a bit warm but up to operating temperature warm which seems very technical to then just look at a plastic tube.....
anyways i fancy you have used a bit of oil and indeed are at the minimumish mark and the top up would have cured it, if it comes on again soon my 2nd suspect would be an oil switch. as long as it's not flickering on at low revs and going out on acceleration ala old fords, i think its something simple like that.
keep an eye on that tube....i've heard that a few times i can tell you