Author Topic: R18  (Read 184 times)

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
R18
« on: September 15, 2020, 05:39:14 pm »
Just got an invite to the R18 launch day in Cork BMW

I have to go and see this beast. I'm a dedicated K fan, and have only ever owned one R (and old R80 GS - the waterbuffalo). 

But I really like the aesthetics of this thing.

Luckily there isn't a hope of me affording one.  So I'll take a test drive and hand back the keys.  ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
Re: R18
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 05:47:43 pm »
Ah when is it?

Looks like a hard tail from my casual internetting, would be nice to see what that feels like to ride in any case. 345kg! 91hp but 116 imperial torques I suppose is nice when leaving the Ace Cafe.

No forward pegs because of the engine they say. I have ridden my GS with feet on the engine bars on those long boring American roads several times!
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2017 R 1200 GS Rallye
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards, LED Spots, Crash Bars, and Bling.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 06:14:41 pm »
When you go on the test ride try altering the power setting, instead of road rain and sport, it displays Road, Rock, and Roll.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:23:20 pm »
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/models/heritage/r18.html

What is the point of it - to ride it, or to be seen riding it?

Oh, hang on - ape hangers. Now we're talking.  :D
Forget about all that Helibar shit. That's what I call risers.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 09:05:13 pm »
Ah when is it?

Looks like a hard tail from my casual internetting, would be nice to see what that feels like to ride in any case. 345kg! 91hp but 116 imperial torques I suppose is nice when leaving the Ace Cafe.

No forward pegs because of the engine they say. I have ridden my GS with feet on the engine bars on those long boring American roads several times!

Ah it isn't a hard tail, they just hid the springy but right inside and almost horizontal. Unless I am actually blind. Saw it parked up on Thursday when getting tyres sorted and had a close up inspection.
Brian c. 2019

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 09:25:05 am »
I got to the launch/unveiling in Kearys BMW  in Cork on Saturday. We were scheduled for an individual look at it, at 1/2 hour intervals. Unfortunately no spins.

It was in a small room, on a podium, with strategically placed lighting. and Retro BMW style gear strategically placed around. Think leather jackets, retro boots and gloves and open face helmet.

It is a very good looking machine, and I think BMW have got a lot of the design right. It is very much a bobber look. I don't like the exhausts, but if you go onto the website, it is very customisable, including cone shaped exhausts, and a much nicer (to me) sprung-type saddle.

I got to sit on it and start it. It is pretty imposing, with two 900cc pots sitting out there (Air and oil cooled).

If you set it on "Roll" of the three settings (Rain, Rock, and Roll) , they appear to have adjusted/retarded the timing so that it slightly misses and chuffs from side to side. It really gives it an old boxer feel. High on the grin factor.

Apparently they have sold one on pre-order, in Dublin, other than that, it doesn't even have a VRT code it's so new.

All up - I thought it was a very attractive machine. It fits a niche. I said to the sales guy, my current machine, a K1200GT can take me and my wife around Europe for a couple of weeks no bother. This would take me down to Kinsale (think Brighton) for a Skinny Latte. So, not my cup of tea (to mix metaphors).

I also said that I'd be back if I won the lotto that night, as with a cost of just south of €30,000 with all the bells and whistles (reverse gear, keyless ignition, heated handlebars, etc. and the sexy seat and pipes) it was a bit rich for me.

Still, got a goodie bag, which contained very expensive glossy brochures of their casual and bike gear, but oddly, no bike brochures.
 Also a pen with a tread pattern down the body, which, nerd that I am, I knew was a metzeler lasertec (rear) - again odd as it's an old cross-ply tyre (I know, my long suffering wife  )

Oh, and the price list for the R18.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 12:03:17 pm by corkboy »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 09:41:19 am »
Ah! I like that the engine modes aren't just renames of existing ones! Although in Dynamic throttle response on the GS i'm sure I notice more rolling when stationary blipping... damn i've ruined my own thought!
Brian c. 2019

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 08:25:42 pm »
345Kg. Just let that sink in.

But not on hot tarmac.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K16GT + S1000XR Triple Black
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 11:52:32 am »
... 345Kg. Just let that sink in ...

Ha ha - I can join in taking the piss out of its weight as well (my K16GT is only 320Kg  ;D)

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 01:53:55 pm »
It has a few nifty little tricks.
As Matt said, it looks like a hardtail, but the shock is hidden up under the seat.

The side stand comes out, and when the bike leans onto it, it levers up slightly to lock into position between two bosses.  Neat trick to stop your 30k €  motorcycle rolling forwards.

And with that weight, the electric reverse is an optional extra.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 02:15:50 pm »
Ah that sidestand trick sounds great! Simple but adds a few valuable degrees to the immediate £5k fall damage angle.
Brian c. 2019

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 06:56:55 pm »
I saw the R18 today whilst the K1300 GT was in for service.

The finish looked exceptional, although the bike was definitely not to my taste. On the other hand, a new R1250RT LE that was parked awaiting delivery did get my attention!