Author Topic: thoughts on servicing  (Read 341 times)

Online farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
thoughts on servicing
« on: September 12, 2020, 10:23:55 am »
hi all, just want to gauge general opinion. i am due a service now and am wondering my best course of action. i have full dealer history from battersea (i think) bmw, but thats a long way away from me. my nearest...and only dealer does not have the greatest name for their work.
bike has approx 9000 miles and is not getting the use i intended.
do i service myself, random bike shop(with good name) or keep up the dealer service history.
what do you think?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: thoughts on servicing
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 10:55:25 am »
When you come to sell the bike the full dealer service history will count for a lot. This maybe a false perception on the part of the buyer but it counts.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 12:28:38 pm »
Also, and I may be lying, if there's good will involved when something big and not consumable breaks, I like to think there's a better chance of a deal if it's always been to BMW. Though actually, who has received good will repair when just turning up at a BMW garage after never going there before?

I think I think they value loyalty more than they actually do. Carry on!
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Online farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 01:43:39 pm »
rae, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head there, that is my train of thought.
matt, when my switchgear went there was no hint of goodwill, just a decent size bill, also when my mate's went..(other side) same again although slightly less poundsy...  that said all was done over the phone ,perhaps if i was there in person with a big sad face it may help...but thats a big may.
on the other hand they were going to sort out my hot start problem as a recall( something like that, free was the important bit) but i was too impatient and a new battery sorted it out... still going well touch wood.
so rae is on the dealer history end of things, matt too...i think

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 03:18:14 pm »
My local dealer closed down a few years ago which was a real shame, they knew I wasn’t full dealer service merchant and a bucket of soapy water on a Sunday ..and we got on fine, it wasn’t ‘I want bike serviced’ i’d Tell them exactly what I wanted and they did it too the letter.

With them going kaput for various reasons I’m not keen on any of the options and currently I look after bikes (X/R 1000 K1200) myself, I had hoped by now that UK would have forced a BM car dealer to take the bikes on and for what ever reason that hasn’t happened, which leaves me with a situation of having to use a dealer I don’t know (in one case) and another I wouldn’t let them blow my tyres up in another.

When it comes to selling a bike when you are talking 6k plus you get a different kind of buyer who is normally well savvy, I’m just as inclined too look at the house they live in...if the driveway or house needs TLC what chance has the bike got.

The last bike I sold hadn’t seen a dealer in years apart from the FJ owners club set up, and when I sold it nearly ended in a fight as two guys turned up at the same time and i’m OCD when comes to cleaning bikes....so after all that I don’t think it’s cut and dried either way because their are so many variables.

Offline revd

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Delkevic Exhaust, BoosterPlug, Hand Guards, R&G Case crash bungs. Swingarm Crash blob. BMW Tank Bag, Fender Extender, Optimate USB DIN Plug
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 06:31:52 pm »
There may be a BMW independent near you. I have one 34.6 miles away from me in Tunbridge Wells area.  Cheaper, only uses OEM parts and can do all recalls etc also does diagnostics etc... 
2 Kings 9:20
"and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he drives furiously!”

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 06:54:57 pm »
My thoughts are usually to go the main dealer route for the first five years of the car/bike's life and then either independent or main dealer dependent upon the complexity of the task. After five years, goodwill is usually in short supply.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 07:20:45 pm »
I have never and never will, buy a bike costing more than a few grand without a full dealer service history. End of.

Said owner may have had it religiously serviced but pissed in the tank between every fill up, put sand in the oil filler and buggered around with the valve shims to boot and I would be none the wiser until it all went tuts ip, but by and large, those who spend their own money on having the bike serviced at a main dealer tend not to arse around with it beyond tyres and accessories etc.

As Chris says, look at the house (if they are daft enough to let you go to their home address to view the bike and I never do) and if the bike has been a dog and treated like one then it is pretty hard to get it looking like it was loved, cherished and cared for.

Things like annual services don't bother me if it has low mileage as I don't do an annual on my bike every year but were I selling it (and I may be) then fresh engine oil and filter, brake fluids and rear drive oil all show you care about the new owner and mine was done a month ago...

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 07:31:17 pm »
My thoughts are usually to go the main dealer route for the first five years of the car/bike's life and then either independent or main dealer dependent upon the complexity of the task. After five years, goodwill is usually in short supply.

And that is it in a nutshell.....

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! 220bhp at the wheel! :D
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 08:27:06 am »
I say it depends on what you plan to do with the bike. If you expect to sell it in the next 3 years, go main dealer. If you expect to keep it beyond that, then a good independent would by my suggestion. Yes. there will be a price difference when selling the bike but as the bike ages that difference shrinks, and will be less than the savings made using the indy.

Unlike Brian, for me, a full service history (including annuals on low miles bikes) is more important than a dealer history. Some things need servicing due to miles but others are due to time. I like to know both have been checked.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 01:22:22 pm »
I would never buy a bike without a proper documented service book. Never.
For a K bike its essential.
Embrace the wind.

Online farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 01:55:23 pm »
some good arguments both ways guys, probably why i'm wondering myself. that said if i was picking between two bikes one having a dealer history would swing it. i'm not sure how long i'll keep the bike but usually with any vehicle i will be fussy buying it and then keep it for years....and years. i had my last bike for nigh on 20 years and couldn't bring myself to part with it(it's still here) i've an audi with almost 250k miles on it, both look in excellent shape but they aren't worth a lot of money to a prospective buyer, if i keep the k13 as long i would just do the work myself, but if i think of changing it would be better with that stamp... guess it's up to me then.
interesting point i noticed from brian, it's one of those things to watch for over here when buying privately that if the seller wants to meet away from his/her house alarm bells would be ringing as to why. that would be the general consensus in this part of the world and would end my interest in said vehicle. perhaps this is different in various areas....also just thinking now wouldn't you be safer "on home ground anyway" ?
piss in the fuel tank.....how could you even think that!!!

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 02:05:15 pm »
I’d Still put good money their are dealers out that do not have a mechanic who knows how to work on a K, I have had that with older bikes that I still have.

Perish the thought of me ever selling my K, but anyone walking into my garage and going through what has been done to it a FSH would be the last thing on their mind...jeez i’ve Dropped oil out of my K that from 12 months previous I bet I hasn’t done 250 miles if i’ve been riding other bikes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:40:16 pm by chriscanning »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 03:38:08 pm »

... I’m just as inclined too look at the house they live in...if the driveway or house needs TLC what chance has the bike got.

Yep, like buying an old Jag or something, gravel driveway please! :)
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K100rs & K13s Motorsport
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 08:53:08 pm »
I'm going to use dealer servicing until the big 18K service ( valves get done, etc. circa £600 !! ), thereafter I'll be doing it myself. I think the valve check is a very important service for bike / engine longevity. 
K100rs : R1100s : R1150rs : R1200st : K1300s m/s