Author Topic: Hello from East Yorkshire  (Read 109 times)

Offline mcchoc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Vario screen & mainstand
Hello from East Yorkshire
« on: September 12, 2020, 09:58:26 am »
I've skimmed the topics here many times and thought it was about time I joined officially. 

I'm a very old chap who still thinks he's 18, and have owned a 1997 K1200RS ('Taxi') since December 2004.  It is now semi-retired and is sulking at the back of the garage.  I ran a 2005 K1200S from 2011-2016, when I part exchanged it for a 2014 K1300S Motorsport. This bike was supposed to be part-exchanged last winter when I bought my very first and last new bike, a Triumph Tiger 1200 XRx.  (Need a bike that really does it all, with special consideration for the appalling and deteriorating state of the world's roads which I can't see ever getting fixed - 190+ mm suspension travel was a major factor for picking the Tiger, and I don't get on with Boxers . . ). 

But one 'final' ride on the K made me realise I wasn't yet ready to let go of the best thing ever to come out of Berlin. 

I had some trouble in the early days with clutch judder and the notorious hot-start issue, but both were eventually solved under warranty by Bowker Motorrad of Preston.  The bike has since been looked after by my superb tech (PM me if you'd like his name, near York), and has never run so well as it is running now, just hitting 14,000 miles.  I retire next March so sadly the 'Starship' will have to go sometime next year, maybe after one final summer's riding. If anyone is interested, PM me - the bike is in showroom condition, has rarely been past 6k rpm, and still has that new feeling of tightness.  The only extras are the MRA Vario tinted screen - which keeps the flies off when you hit Warp Factor Three - and a main-stand.

I used to spend a lot of time on the now defunct i-BMW forum, and am hoping that the information and help here will be just as good. I'm in East Yorkshire so say hello if you know Fimber tea cabin and I'll buy you a scone.  David McMillan

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:46:05 am by mcchoc »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Hello from East Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 07:31:57 pm »
Hello David and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

I'm not sure what retirement and a parting of the ways have to do with each other, I bought my K13S after I retired. I thought I deserved it...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! 220bhp at the wheel! :D
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 08:31:31 am »
Hello and welcome from another David! :D

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline mcchoc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Vario screen & mainstand
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 10:40:51 am »
Thanks both. The K will have to go sometime as sadly I can’t run it alongside the Tiger on a meagre pension.  And fabulous as the K is, I doubt it could cope with the remote roads I’m intending to ride . . .