Author Topic: Stupid and potentially fatal clothing/motorcycle interface failure...  (Read 530 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
So, out for a gentle bimble yesterday and remember taking a good-angle right turn at some speed rather than stopping to give way to the speeding transit coming t'other way. Nae problem.

On the return, I remembered the turning as I approached and figured it would be a full-stop with a lingering look over the right shoulder. It was and also slightly uphill for me. There was nothing coming and so I pulled out, cranked over to the left slightly and that's when all hell broke loose.

I was close to home and getting tired on the first K run since lockdown and was a little tardy at getting my left boot up on the peg. Suddenly the bike was bolt upright and crossing the white line and my left leg was trapped somewhere.

I managed to stop, straddling the line, to find my left (folding) peg had caught on top of my boot, despite having trousers over boots. The more I had tried to crank left, the harder the peg dug in and pushed me upright, the grippy sole of my boot sticking fast to the tarmac and rapidly taking my heel back toward the tyre.

It took a second or two to untangle myself and luckily the now approaching car driver figured I was some sort of imbecile and stopped well short of me. That shook me up! Not the car stopping, I would have been really shaken up if he hadn't...

I've had the opposite problem on the off-road spec Honda where my trouser cuff has got hooked on the spikes on the peg and stopped me getting my boot down at a badly cambered T-junction and now I mostly tuck my trousers in my boots off-road, but that can be messy and wet...

Had it been a busy road the outcome could and very well would, have been very different and hopefully that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
In a similar vein Brian I had a pair of boots that had the flap and zip on the inside which occasionally got caught on the peg when putting your foot down. The Altbergs have the fastenings on the outside. I always look now before considering a pair of boots to make sure the closures are not going to interfere with the pegs.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:18:12 pm by raesewell »

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K16GT + S1000XR Triple Black
 :o - glad you're OK.

I remember many years ago pulling up to the traffic lights on my GT250 only to gracefully fall on my side due to the kickstart going up the inside of my trouser leg and not letting me put my foot down.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That sounds very familiar Simon  ;D Suzuki T350 in my case  :-[

Offline Coully

• Jumped off Hondas to Beemers and back to hondas
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2006 K1200s - now sold
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic endcan, hugger, fenda extenda, double bubble screen ..
Pair of trainers with long laces for me , on my mates gpz500 at the time. Went to put left foot down and laces looped on gear lever ....managed to untangle in due course thankfully
If it has two wheels i'll ride it, if its egg shaped I'll catch it and run with it!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Who knew PPE clothing could be so bloody dangerous.

My road TCX have the closure on the inside, the theory is that the zip etc doesn't gat worn through in a slide.

My of-road TCX have the clips and closure on the outside.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
Who knew PPE clothing could be so bloody dangerous.

My road TCX have the closure on the inside, the theory is that the zip etc doesn't gat worn through in a slide.

My of-road TCX have the clips and closure on the outside.

Crikey Bri, glad you're ok! And far lower down the glad scale, i'm glad you can share this with everyone. Now I have folding pegs again too!

My road Alpinestar boots have the closure inside, my 'adventure' (big, too big, no feel) Alpinestars have it on the outside. I'd never thought about why before!
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! :D BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
I used to occasionally get a similar thing when the rigid pegs on my MotorSport would catch on the top of my boot. (Leathers inside boot.) Mild panic the first time it happened but I quickly got the hang of unhooking the boot while on the move.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
We are what we were in the moto, i bet all had similar mishaps on trainers with long laces or similar shoes.
Glad you're ok.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
I'm getting worried I'll catch my hair in the wheel spokes soon.
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid and potentially fatal clothing/motorcycle interface failure...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 05:10:34 pm »
I did mention the hair Matt  ;D