Author Topic: K1600(?) Active Cruise Control  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
Re: K1600(?) Active Cruise Control
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 05:46:24 pm »
I drive a lot of hire cars with work and hate the ones with ACC.  The trouble is everyone else on the road seems unable to keep a steady speed, so they overtake you, then slow down and you slow down with them.  This is annoying to the point of mostly just not bothering.  Standard Cruise, on a motorway, I love.  Set it where you want it and then overtake the traffic as you need to.  I can see ACC might be a small benefit on a single carriageway in a car, but even in a car I'm looking to make progress, and on a bike, I will be.  For me ACC would be an active turn off on a bike, and if fitted and not possible to return it to a standard cruise, I wouldn't buy the bike.

As for G clamps on your forehead.  Well it's no wonder you've got a headache, have you tried a crash helmet like the rest of us?
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 07:27:08 pm »
 :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

He asked for that...

I thought I was the only person on God's little green earth who got overtaken by the only other car on the road at the dead of midnight that I just blasted past, only to lose sight of it.

And then, from nowhere, there is a set of rapidly approaching lights. Lift off, maybe a sneaky downshift but definitely no brakes. And it comes wazzing past and disappears in the middle distance.

And then another then, there is a fastish car in the distance so I moderate my speed and close up on it, just in case it is (and twice in the last 12 months at almost midnight on the A417 north of Cirencester, it was indeed) an unmarked police car...but of course, it isn't. It's that twit you've overtaken once. Twice? I lose count.

There are two courses of action at this point...
1 Stop and pick your nose for 10 minutes or
2 Slow down till it is out of sight up ahead and then do 150 until you either come across that unmarked police car or pass it and manage to break the tow thrice and for all  >:(

Offline Lembu

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30 Jahre
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 09:28:22 am »
I've used also ACC in a hire car in traffic in 50kmh zones - seemed to work quite well there, even for stop/start. 

I'd like any sort of CC on my bike - I miss the very good tempomat on my old GS - as I do long stretches of 100 or 120 kmh four lane with hidden cameras and punitive fines.  Not easy in a country where fines start at 40 CHF for 1 kmh extra and a moment of inattention on the K sees you at warp speed (that's why I like it btw -  especially on the unlimited A81 heading home on the weekend  8) )

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 10:40:14 am »
You really should try a throttle lock. They are NOT a cruise control but they do take out the small variations in speed, especially upward speed. Any uphill stretch sees the spped dropping off but I have found that downhill stretches do not increase the speed significantly.

On the other hand, it does tend to take your mind off the throttle...which might be very expensive ::)

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! :D BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 01:36:29 pm »
But no one wants to risk their "spped" dropping off!!! That sounds way too painful! ;)

I've never liked any type of throttle lock but find the cruise control on the Kawasaki to be like the quick shifter was on the K1300S and heated grips were on my first BMW, appears to be a toy/gimmick when you've not had a bike with it fitted but once you have owned a bike with it fitted it gets pretty close to being an essential.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 01:40:08 pm »
I do enjoy it on the GS when i'm on boring bits or trying to see how many miles I can get to a tank (hint: 240 with 1L left). On the S1000RR for the 2 minutes I owned it, it was useful to help not break my back/wrist/everything.

Interestingly/not interestingly at all, the GS keeps cruise enabled when changing up gears, whereas i'm almost certain the S1000RR didn't. Or maybe that was going down the box. I should probably ride it to remind myself.
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 05:47:08 pm »
There are two types in the car world, the typr that disengages when you change gear and the type that doesn't. My old car was the former and my new one nearly had me in the back of something or other because it is the latter... ::)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 10:59:12 pm »
I use a Kaoko throttle lock on the K1300S. Useful for relieving the weight on my right wrist on a long trip.

The R1250GS has cruise control which I haven't properly got to play with yet.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 11:12:06 am »
And for a much less 'agressive' wheel on the control, try Wunderlich. Mine is perfect for what I want.