Author Topic: K1200 GT K44 2007  (Read 290 times)

Offline samsonfm1

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT MY07
K1200 GT K44 2007
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:49:57 pm »
Stopped for fuel, filled up, ride about 2 miles and it coughed, spluttered and then stopped.

Correct fuel was filled as receipt indicated and pump was verified, changed fuel out anyway with no changes.

Obviously no wiring schematics available to purchase on these K44 models, so did standard diagnostic testing as I would do to any vehicle, I’m fully aware and completely understand CAN systems K- LINe systems, I am an automotive engineer/diagnostics by trade...

Swapped out CKP I have a CPS if required to change out, fuel pump was tested, drew 2amps in open, I know specs are 11amp draw under load, replaced with new one anyway as these parts are available to me.
FPC tested both ways, used injection noid lites for pulse generation, indicating feed from FPC is valid, did direct wire test to FPC and noid lite pulsing, that’s Ok.
With or with out the FPC connected inline system is working, but there’s no priming of the pump when ignition is turned on.
Ground from plug (3 wire) into FPC is good as I’ve gone direct to battery test.

Fuel pressure is 4.4bar (3.8b -/+ factory spec) battery is on tender and backed up by high power boosting system when cranked.

Bike cranks, all lights illuminate, fuel strip may be an issue now as I regulated 8 litres but displaying 1/8, minor issues maybe..
All sensors working, BMSK talking, ZFE talking, GS-911WIFI confirmed everything.

Interlock working, clutch, side stand centre stand, gear selector, kill switch all working as physical tests and OBD confirmation.
Functionality tests on all injectors, valves, fuel pump ran via OBD, pressure sensor on injector rail working.
When cranking it’s fast, compression is good, nothing is a miss...

Fired up when adding Brake cleaner (not happy with that stuff for igniting engines) and silicone lube as it’s heavier and will hold combustion better, fired ran 2 seconds.

Fuel is the issue but WHY...??

But yet no priming or firing...

This Single Wire CAN system isn’t giving me definitive answers, it’s variables are great and when you’ve got no schematics it’s makes thing difficult, even finding Pin Outs schematics on the BMSK or ZFE to relevant sensors is impossible..!!

Anyone come across or seen this this before..???

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1200 GT K44 2007
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:02:16 pm »
Yes! But not with such a thorough diagnostic routine having been run on the bike...

There are sort of schematics here...

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=83.0

...which might not be perfick, but they should get someone as tech savvy as you off the start line.

Oh, and a quick intro in Who's Who wouldn't go amiss  8)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:25:24 pm »
I like getting straight to the point but it doesn't hurt to say hello first. It helps to endear yourself to the people that might have an answer for you.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:27:16 pm by raesewell »

Offline samsonfm1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:04:06 pm »
Hi,

My apologies here, I wrote it out twice and it scrubbed it, so thought I would write it via Pages then copied and paste it, unfortunately my intro was scrubbed when that happened, as I posted it I didn’t read it again to check thus the intro was missing completely..
It could sound a little arrogant or brash how it was set out in its format, but that was my fault..

My apologies again to the readers...

Just a little didi, I’m Rabb, been riding these BMWs for 25 years, and every single Japanese’s machine in between, besides blowing up my drag bikes this is the first bike I’ve ever had to fail me..!!!
Being BMW CAN is the most technical as well doesn’t help either which is expected due to the systems they run.

I’ve had RTs GSs and Ks through the years, travelled far and wide over the continents but only having this for 11 months and broke down in August last year (no time to fix and only had little time to when tried) it’s been a huge disappointment considering the others I’ve owned from this brand..

I’m just in limbo now, and I’m pi*sed with myself as I’ve damaged one of the side panels that dropped off the rafters (supposedly safe place) due to vibrations..!!

Just a noted update;
I’ve removed the BMSK again, cleaned all the terminals again with Deoxit D5 stuff (miracle stuff I’ve been using for few years) and fuel pump engaged on prime up, ran during cranking time, but not starting still.!! Now that’s weird.!

The GS-911 reports fuel pump failure now.!! Go figure.!!

But, we continue and so will I.. any pointers will be appreciated, any ideas are welcomed and even going back to the beginning..!!

Thank you guys, and once again my apologies for the mess up with Copy & Paste.!!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 05:23:21 pm »
Hi Rabb, you should have a PM from me. A location in your profile will greatly increase you chances of getting a helpful reply.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 12:18:43 am »
Have you carried out a compression check? Does it keep running for a long as you feed it brake cleaner?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline samsonfm1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 11:29:21 am »
Hi..

Compression isn’t the issue here.! it’s an electrical fault as low compression on one cylinder (Or two) wouldn’t stop the fuel or cut the machine out from running entirely.

Adding combustible substances as BC or Propane which I’ve finally got some more in yesterday (courtesy of the BBQ) let the bike run, but obviously being excessively volatile and not wanting to melt sensors or destroy them, running the fluid for 2 seconds in which the engine will run the same amount of time Point to one area only...

If it was a carburetor system then I’d dump the valve and spray Petrol directly as the only issue would be blow back without sensor damage..

Appreciate the input though...👍🏼

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 11:44:04 am »
You say the fuel pressure is 4.4 bar but the pump isn't priming.

If you are using a spray starter, I assume you have the airbox off. If so, have you pulled the fuel rail and injectors to make sure that fuel is being injected.

If it isn't, then the fuel pressure regulator in the injector head rail manifold may well have got stuck/collapsed/whatever. This would give a high fuel pressure reading and stop fuel getting to the injectors.

Just an idea...

Offline samsonfm1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 12:49:42 pm »
That’s correct, it’s not priming on ignition, but pressurizes on cranking giving the PSi results..
But the readings are not always coming through as on occasion the pump won’t pressurize up when cranked, and even after few more tests yesterday the fuel pump stopped working altogether when cranked, The GS911 stayed pump failure.!!

The intervals of the regulator can’t be checked, it would be easier just to throw away and install a new one if that were the case.

It’s come back to the priming issue, I have been given some schematics, unfortunately when trying to zoom in to the ECU output pins the pictures distorts/blurs out, I’ve found some GS1200 schematics of similar year which are totally legible but not entirely sure if the pin outs are the same, this is some thing I’ve got to investigate a little more..

only thing I can come up with is the BMSK ECU has internal failures with certain drivers, but I’ll need to send this BBA or Accu..

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1300R Yoke & Bars, Centre Stand
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 11:54:55 am »
I think the fuel pump controller can be temporarily by-passed.

If you remove the electronic controller there are 2 wires from the rear of it to the fuel pump.

You can jump straight from these to the battery, obviously check polarity is correct first.

There obviously will be no pressure regulation doing this, but would run the fuel pump continuously & allow the engine to run, if the electronic controller is the problem.

Here is a link to the GS one where someone has done this.
https://motorcycleinfo.co.uk/bmw-r1200-r1200gs-fuel-pump-controller-bypass-index074c/

I'm pretty sure the K one is similar.

Offline samsonfm1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 07:00:49 pm »
Hey..

Thank you for that..

I located some schematics for the GS CAN so I’ll be trying a few things (had to leave it for couple days as tools started to fly) out over the weekend, I’ve noticed a few other variations.

I’ll keep you updated...

Offline Andym535

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 10:14:35 pm »
I've got a Texa TxB and IDC5 that's got quite a few wiring diagrams, including a few for the K44... I've PM'd you the fuel injection diagram.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:37:14 pm by Andym535 »
If it matters what gear you’re in, the engine’s too small.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, System 5 intercom helmets. MRA tinted screen. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector, 6 lit tail bag. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors, paralever arm. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. T Bag tail 15-25lit bag, 5 lit tank bag. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 11:50:56 am »
You need a new pump.
Embrace the wind.

Offline samsonfm1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 08:05:07 pm »
Needs a new pump...????

That’s funny, but thank you for your input...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 08:22:18 pm »
Costas has more experience of Ks than most of us.
He may not always be right, but do consider his, admittedly rather short, advice.

Ask nicely, and he may tell us the reasoning!