Author Topic: Tentative steps onto the world of BMW  (Read 263 times)

Offline 21ST_CENTURY_MAN

• View Profile
Tentative steps onto the world of BMW
« on: February 01, 2020, 09:15:20 pm »
Good evening to all I'm Ven new to the forum, I joined as i'm looking at buying a R1100s or a K1200s so any expert knowledge/advice would be appreciated. Been biking since i was a kid live in North Leeds had lots of different bikes but always steered away from BM mainly because they have always looked ugly to me but in the last few yrs found myself looking so here i am.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Tentative steps onto the world of BMW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 11:06:41 pm »
Hi Ven. Welcome to the forum.

You will find that a K1200S is in a different league to the R1100S. I suggest that you get a ride on each bike and you will know which bike you want to own.

Best of luck.

Tom.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 08:03:31 am »
I’ve had my 1100s 20 years and my K1200 11 years the reality is they are both old bikes and very niche so not only very different but how they have been looked after over the years will have a large input on their condition.

If you go the K route ask on here if it’s the 1100s you need to look on the like of the Boxertrix site.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! 220bhp at the wheel! :D
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 10:21:43 am »
Hello and welcome.  As has been said the K1200S and the R1100S are very different bikes and you really need to ride them both.  The K1200S has performance the R1100S can only dream of. But the R1100S has real character.

Personally,  I wouldn't touch a K1200S with a barge poll.  They are great,  if a little "wooden", bikes to ride but the potential for lots of huge repair bills is just too great.  If you can afford the repair bills on a K1200S and want performance,  then I'd say spend the money up front on a K1300S and get a better bike into the bargain.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 12:45:48 pm »
Hi Ven and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

If you decide on a K, then please heed the advice of all of us who have owned, ridden and repaired both.

The K12 has stunning performance, as good as the K13 and if high-speed touring is your thing then it is a fine bike.

However, if you intend to explore the 'sport' side of its character then the K13 becomes a much better experience. A well-ridden 12 will stay with a well-ridden 13 in almost all circumstances and will rarely, if ever, be embarrassed.

Next 'however'. As David said, the 12 is akin to riding a plank compared to the 13.

For my write up of an afternoon spent riding David's K13S while David rode my K12S and my comparison of the bikes, see this post...

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=578.msg8006#msg8006

...and for David's summary see this one...

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=578.msg8045#msg8045

The whole of that thread makes good reading and I recommend it to anyone thinking of starting out life with a K.

Next you need to spend your money and take your choice, or vice versa. I would never buy a K12 knowing what I now know and everyone who has owned or ridden both would say the same.

Apart from the performance, the repair bills on the 12 can be horrendous although some have been very lucky. The 13 has its foubles too but nowhere near as expensive as a 12.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 02:08:11 pm »
Welllllll we are getting into the realms of where this board hasn’t never been all that selective... I test rode a brand new 2006 K1200s at a franchised BM dealer with 1500 miles on the clock and thought it was nothing short of a disgrace reliability didn’t even come into it.

Fast forward too 2007/8 which was a completely difference animal to the heap of junk produced from September 04/06 there is/was a monumental difference between the two,perfect the later model wasn’t but light years away from the previous model it most certainly was.

With out doubt the 1300 was a further evolution certainly with a more sophisticated feel but a quantum leap over my 2007 k1200 it certainly wasn’t i’ve Ridden one,and certainly no hotstart or electrical issues.

Re the 1100s if the OP does their homework also comes with a gearbox main shaft/clutch issue depending how much the offended owner is shouting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 02:59:18 pm by chriscanning »