Author Topic: Loose gear lever on K1300GT  (Read 471 times)

Online alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Crud catcher
Loose gear lever on K1300GT
« on: December 30, 2018, 08:53:30 pm »
When I took my K1300GT for its MOT earlier in the month the technician passed it with no advisories apart from stating that the gear lever was loose. He told me that he had tightened it for me but that resulted in a stiffened action so he slackened the bolt off again.

When
I got the bike home I took the lever off the bike and it is as described in the repROM which is a bolt, washer and bush. i reassembled it and the lever was tight however after a couple of rides it is loose again. I have discussed it with my dealer he says that there is nothing missing and no locking nut. In fairness I have had the bike from new and the lever has always been slack.

What do other GT owners make of this? Are their gearshift levers loose? Is there any sort of locking nut on the end of the bolt and if not are the threads at the end of the bolt still visible? More importantly has anyone had the bolt fall out?

I should have said earlier that the bolt passes through the washer, bush and lever and is screwed into the frame with the last few threads visible the other side of the frame bracket.

Your thoughts, gentlemen please! Do I need to worry or are my neuroses getting the better of me?!

May I be the first to wish you all a happy New Year,
Tony

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Loose gear lever on K1300GT
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 09:05:58 pm »
The K1200 was notorious for a sloppy gear lever but the K13s were a different design and should be better, maybe some thread lock might be in order.

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1300R Yoke & Bars, Remus Exhaust, Centre Stand
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 12:27:27 pm »
The bush should be slightly longer than the bearing in the lever, & the hole in the 2 washers should be just bigger than the bolt.

So when the bolt is tight the washers press against the bush & there should be just perceptable side play in the gear lever.

I wonder if your helpfull MOT guy has overtightened the bolt & crushed the washers in some way so they now impinge on the gear lever causing it to bind.

If you now have to leave the bolt loose, it will eventually work it way out.

Online alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 08:11:24 pm »
Thank you Rae and Philip for taking the time to respond. According to the repROM both the K12 and K13 have much the same gear lever set up - both have a screw and one collared washer. It is the K16 that has the more robust linkage. Also, according to the repROM it is the S model that has two collared washers. However, as Philip has suggested I think that a second collared washer should solve my problem so intend ordering one next Saturday.

Meanwhile, do any current GT riders have any thoughts on this matter? Are their gear levers sloppy, does anyone have a lock nut fitted and has anyone ever lost their bolt?

Cheers for now,
Tony

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:03:46 pm »
No no no the 12 and 13 are definitely different

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 11:28:17 pm »
The K12 has two plastic, top-hat thingies that combine the role of bush and washer in one piece. It was crap from day kne and is crap to this day. The plastic has a half-life of about two months and after that it is shot.

The 13 by comparison has proper bushes and thrust washers.

If your lever is loose when the bolt is tight then it must be the play between the lever and bush or bush to bolt. I would measure the relevant diameters and some clever engineer in 'ere will be along to tell us what the clearance should be.

...and a happy new year to you to.

Online alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 05:02:34 pm »
I took it all apart again this morning then searched my garage for suitable thrust washers to enable me to properly tighten the inner part of the bushing to the frame but enable the lever to rotate on the outer bushing (have I described this correctly?). It is now better than before but not completely rectified.

Per my earlier post I wonder whether there should be 2 collared washers, one at each end of the bushings rather than just the one which goes in after the screw head. Having said this I have owned the bike from new and there has never been an occasion to remove the gearshift lever. The repROM states that there is just the one collared washer and I am pretty sure my MOT man merely tightened the bolt and did not remove the entire unit. All of this begs the question why it has taken nearly 8 years and over 82,000 miles for the problem to manifest?

Are there any other GT riders out there and if so is the gearshift lever sloppy and loose? Is there a lock-nut on the locating bolt or anything else to prevent the bolt from working itself out?

I will see my dealer on Saturday to order another collared washer and also find out what their technicians have to say about this problem. There are only a few threads visible and I am concerned that a lock nut may prevent the removal of the oil filter, which is very close to the end of the bolt where it pokes out of the frame.

Am I right in thinking that thread-lock will only work if the nut and bolt are tight and both surfaces free from oil and grease?

Cheers all,
Tony 

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic Exhaust, Oberon Slave, Z technics Screen, SW Motech tank mount
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:13:37 am »
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester Motorrad
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '07 K1200GT SE .... '14 R12RT LC LE :D

Online alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 09:28:11 pm »
Many thanks Steve. Mine is the 1300GT so not the same as the 1200S. However your YouTube tutorial makes me think that my idea of a second collared washer will do the job. I will order one on Saturday and let you know how I get on. If that doesn't work I will try to put a locking nut on the end of the locating bolt.

I still cannot understand why it has suddenly gone wrong after all these years and miles!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 10:31:08 pm »
Have you checked the wear on the bush and lever? If the bush or lever is worn then no amount of collared washers or locking nuts will cure the play.

Online alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 11:23:12 pm »
It's not the play that bothers me but the fact that if I tighten the bolt that holds the lever in place the lever becomes stiff and will not reposition itself after use. The repROM says a that it should be torqued to 19Nm. The only way to loosen the lever so that it repositions itself after a gear change is to slacken the bolt resulting in the possibility that the bolt eventually works itself out and the lever comes away from the bike. Last week, after a couple of hundred miles' use, I could easily turn the bolt with my fingers. Not the ideal state of affairs!

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1300R Yoke & Bars, Remus Exhaust, Centre Stand
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 12:50:45 pm »
You said that the MOT guy messed with it.
Since then it either binds when the bolt is tightened or you have to have the bolt loose, which will eventually fall out.
So i'm guessing he has damaged something or lost something during his fiddling.

I can't see he would have damaged the bush, so he might have damaged or lost one of the spacer washers at a guess.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 01:25:57 pm »
Here is a link to an exploded diagram to see if all of the parts are present.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0539-USA-04-2009-K44-BMW-K_1300_GT_0538,0539_&diagId=23_1080

Online alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 07:16:46 pm »
That is very useful thank you Rae. It looks as though there is a stop disc missing. According to both the repROM and my dealer there is only 1 stop disc or collared washer as I have been calling it. Your attachment suggests that there should be 2 stop discs or collared washers, one at either end of the bushings, which was what I suspected. I will order another one tomorrow and try to ascertain whether the bike came with 2 washers or just the one which is what I suspect. As the bolt is close to the engine spoiler and difficult to remove with the spoiler in place I am pretty sure he just tightened it then slackened it off when he found that the gear lever had gone stiff. I will let you all know how I get on.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 09:12:57 am »
Looking at the diagram, either bearings are worn-out or the circlips are missing