Author Topic: The end is in sight!  (Read 734 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: The end is in sight!
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 04:24:33 pm »
Usual high standard David and thanks.

For me, one of the K's greatest strengths is that it is ballistic if you want it to be but when you turn your brain down a degree or 40 and just want to bimble along admiring the scenery it will easily pull 25-30 in 6th and pull away strongly. For most of the riding, most of the year, 1st and 6th would do nicely.

You didn't use the 'involving' in your description but it sounds like it is in terms of the use of the gears.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: HID headlights and a hugger.
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 06:57:17 pm »
I agree completely Brian, but both the XR and the 1290 could do "relaxed bimble" very well. The difference with the 1290 is that you'd be in 3rd or 4th rather than 6th. It is a slightly different way of skinning the same cat but either would work just as well.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:23:12 pm by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Show you know what you're doing and use your rear brake!

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, System 5 intercom helmets. MRA tinted screen. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector, 6 lit tail bag. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors, paralever arm. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. T Bag tail 15-25lit bag, 5 lit tank bag. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2018, 02:15:26 pm »
Excellent review am concurring it 100%. One remark only . At high corners on very high speed and very low angles the front of the 1290 it gets very light and frustreded me .
Embrace the wind.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2018, 06:30:25 pm »
I've owned an old 750 Super Tenere and a 1000 Vstrom and have ridden a Honda VTR SP1.. Give me a 1300cc 4 pot any day..
Hows that for a comprehensive review

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 07:16:34 pm »
Surprising that no-one is considering ugliness. I am really the only one here ? None of all these bikes pass the "ugliness"- criterion, except (IMO) the VFR800F.

Not ballistic ? Not enough raw power ? Not a good enough power-to-weight ratio ? On the VFR800F, I compensate this with : not too expensive, no stepladder needed to get on it, at least a sporty seat position (the exception in the mentioned list of "sports"-tourers !),  and good looks.

Maybe it's good to consider not only the raw power figures, but also ugliness. And to not rule out either that it's also, some/most of the times, the man on top of the bike who can make some difference ? Just coming home from a mountain holiday, I wouldn't know really if I'd be noticeably quicker had I been on the K1300S...

Oh, and by the way : I like shifting through the gears - maybe I'm not old enough yet ?   8)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2018, 07:18:03 am »
If looks were THAT important then most of us would likely be riding Italian bikes designed by Massimo Tamburini. The reason that everyone didn't ride a Tamburini bike is that what the bike does and how it does it is way more important. In that way, while it's a great bike, the VFR800 just doesn't cut it!

The looks and the seating position of the VFR800 would put it top of my list and if, when Honda had the chance, if they'd made the VFR1200 simply a larger capacity version of the 800 then things would be very different.

Compared to a VFR800 I don't use the extra power or the extra torque of the K1300S very often. From A to B over a distance, unless it's the German Autobahns, then the VFR800 will likely be just as quick as any of these bikes as most of us restrict the performance of our riding based on a combination life, license and wallet preservation, not bike capability.

All that said, knowing the extra "space warping" performance is available should I want it, and for those few occasions when I do actually use it, there is nothing to match it, is something that, for me (and many other K1300S riders) is VERY important. And that is something the VFR800 simply can't deliver.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2018, 01:06:43 pm »
Wow! This is such a personal issue...

Take the looks of the bike.

These days I can't see it for most of the hours in a day cos it is in the garage and I'm not and when I'm riding it I can't see most of it.
I think the K is a good looking bike, not fabulous, but good.
I owned an R1150GS and loved it to bits. I left the cover off it most of the time just so I could look at it through the sitting room window staring menacing back at me from the drive. This was the only bike I have ever ridden where truck drivers literally inched over as you filtered through, it had that much road presence!
If I won the lottery I would buy a Ducati Diablo and put it on a plinth in a heated, air-conditioned, illuminated glass box in my courtyard just so I could ogle the pillion footrests; that's Italian styling for you.

I think the worst description of a bike (or car or vacuum cleaner or other half) is 'bland'. A mate (who appreciated style and performance because he drove an original Audi RS4 Avant [daft name as they only came in Avant bodystyle]) used to rave about the usabilty of his Honda Deauville that everybody else called a Dullsville, but he loved it to bits...

Another mate rode a Yamaha TDM, Tedium to you and I.

I think 'character' has to feature somewhere high on the list of replacements for me.

Offline Andym535

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2018, 11:27:55 pm »
I'll have one of these with a dual seat and some sport cases please...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2018, 06:48:49 am »
That looks very nice but the weight (assumed as being substantial) and the massive wheelbase it won't be doing much in the way of the sport part of sport touring.