Author Topic: Today's steed (S1000XR)  (Read 18200 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Today's steed (S1000XR)
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2021, 12:41:20 pm »
Interesting all this chatter about engines and revs completely side stepping the brick shit house proportions of the K...come up against a modern day bike on anything but a motorway..you’ll have your light bulb moment very quickly.

Of course that’s assuming age or inclination doesn’t get in the way, but neither has anything to do the K being bloody hard work ridden up against modern stuff.
It may depend on what you're trying to acheive. A trackday, not a hope on a K. A wriggly Welsh trip - no problem on either bike. Dull motorway - A K every time.

Re: brick toilets, it weighs 228kg dry (even with a lightweight battery, note!), and I'm pretty sure the XR has a higher centre of gravity than a K.
A K1300S also weighs 228kg dry.

Progress? Not much on the weight front.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2021, 01:03:19 pm »
I think our definition of hard work may differ significantly. I agree that the the K is slower into corners, is heavier overall and takes more wrestling to flick (haul?) from bend to bend but, for me, that's only one aspect of the overall road riding process. The ability to use the torque and avoid gear changes, the ability to ride for a full day then get up the next morning ready to do the same again, the ability to filter down through lines of traffic in town, the ability to see what's happening behind by just looking in the mirrors, the ability run at autobahn speeds for long periods of time and the ability to confidently put a foot on the ground when arriving at a junction with a wicked camber all make for a bike that isn't hard work.

I've not owned a XR and I've only had a couple of test rides on them so my experience is limited but, while it is a great bike with many "plus points", for me it most definitely was not "less work" than the K. In fact, the K, despite it's age, was, I felt, definitely an easier bike to live with. But, each to their own.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2021, 03:12:46 pm »
I agree that the the K is slower into corners, is heavier overall ...
They're identical weights - 228Kg. See above.

And for good measure, throw in XR's 165 bhp versus K's 173 bhp.
But realistically they're about equal once shaft drive loss has been taken into account.

The K is defo slower into corners though, granted.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2021, 04:30:16 pm »
In view of today’s conversation dusted the old K off, checked tyres put 6 months tax on it and been out and ridden...having been quite a few miles recently on the KTM and X/R....I take back not a word I said about the K,now tomorrow I/we have been roped..sorry invited to Shobdon airfield for lunch and as things could be a touch on the slow side the K will be pressed into service again....

As for performance in the zilch to 120 the other two would eat the K alive, and yet I have to say the old tank is running well.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2021, 06:11:25 pm »
Real world, and I mean on increasingly sh*te Irish roads, I find there's very few bikes quicker A to B than a K1300. The stability is awesome and I can forgive slow turn in for security and the ability to just press-on regardless.  It's superb on high speed corners but I admit to being cautious on tight roundabouts, feels like it wants to plough straight on.  Then again, I moved away from roundabout central (close to MK) 18 years ago. I'm with K1 on it's everyday rideability, once moving I can filter & flick it around traffic as easy as my old SM, that canted forward engine helps, as do helibars. Mirrors get in way a bit but they are a license saver other times.  Suspension is a bit harsh (Wilbers are on speed dial in case a windfall comes my way) but I love the wishbone front end, from racing I've more trust in the front than the average road rider and tend to brake deep into corners. The K13 laps this up and the small dive you get helps it steer in quicker. The annoying thing is how much better BMW could have made that bike with little effort, as Chris says you have to spend money yourself to get it right.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:13:36 pm by armstrongracer »

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2021, 07:28:42 pm »

The XRs 228KG is a kerb weight, the K13S kerb weight is around 255KG  ::)

I suppose it depends on your riding, but on the Essex lanes the XR defiantly feels more nimble. I could never keep up with the GS brigade on my K12/13s until the roads widen up, on the XR it’s pretty easy.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2021, 08:01:07 pm »

I suppose it depends on your riding, but on the Essex lanes the XR defiantly feels more nimble. I could never keep up with the GS brigade on my K12/13s until the roads widen up, on the XR it’s pretty easy.

Oh how I wish the K1300S had been 228kg!  :D While it has a low C of G I always knew it was a big lump when pushing on. However, as Armstrongracer said, it's stability means it can be pushed on "less than perfect" ;) roads harder than many lighter bikes.

Either way,  both are great bikes. The real disappointment is that for those of us who prefer the larger engined, "lazy" bikes with "road suspension" and a road bike rather than adventure bike look, there simply isn't a new option on the market. :(
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2021, 08:39:00 pm »
BMW website says:

DIN empty weight in kg incl. M lightweight battery, Touring & Dynamic package

Maybe 'empty' and 'dry' are two different definitions?
If so, my mistake.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2021, 08:44:36 pm »
Yep just read same. And that's with the M battery. The non M weighs some number of lbs which equals 812Kg I think we worked out in the other thread :p.

But then another website says wet 228Kg so maybe nobody really knows! It's one thing building an engine and a bike and stuff but quite another using scales!

Edit: yeah DIN empty means without payload. So without fat arses or drones in top boxes. Blehh. But also maybe not fuel either. Harrumph.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:47:22 pm by Matt »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2021, 08:49:08 pm »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2021, 09:55:01 pm »
I couldn't see any definition either, so I've asked BMW.  8)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2021, 07:28:21 am »

Just about sums the job up, stuff that gets forgotten ....piggyback fuelling all those years ago was considered old hat and it was all about flashing the ECU and I went Rexxer on the K..and not a bad job at all,but all that went bytheby and the world went back to piggyback hence why I have PC’s on both the X/R and GT and have to say a better feel and the X/R will pick the front wheel up off the throttle in second, I’m not expecting that anytime soon on the K.

As part of the R&D on the K to get the bike to turn...have to carry a plastic side stand puck with a 2” piece of shaped wood screwed too it because the rear is raised that much the side stand just isn’t long enough, but at least with a little effort(a lot more than the others) it’s joined the modern world when it comes to changing direction, aided and abetted with carbon BST’s and Wilbers which really are quality.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2021, 03:49:00 pm »
For some bizarre reason...despite knowing today’s trip to Shobdon was going to be country lanes took the K and certainly got more than I/we bargained for...

Linky link: https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=4620.0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:55:53 pm by richtea »