Author Topic: new member - looking to buy a k1200s - advice sought  (Read 988 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: new member - looking to buy a k1200s - advice sought
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 09:19:35 pm »
Kim (I think) asked, if the badges were removed would K13 owners be able to tell the difference.

The answer is a definite yes from every person who has owned both.

The horror stories with my 12 have nothing to do with my recommendation and as for price, early 13’s are as cheap as later 12's. For those who can't tell the difference, buy an FJR  :D :D :D

If you want the definitive answer, read the recently linked report by thelate, exceedingly great, Kevin Ash. Ash On Bikes.whatever

His original report on the 12 was why they withdrew them and delayed the launch. His appraisal of the 13 says it all.

Do NOT pay £250 for an after market warranty, most are not worth the paper they are not written on these days.

DO pay £300 for a genuine BMW Extended Warranty. If you are going touring, pay £360'ish and get free Euro breakdown cover thrown in. A pound a day for a rock solid product with a few limitations? No brainer.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 09:30:20 pm »
FJR's a nice bike, we use some for the Blood Bikes. You seem to misinterpret the point. If you have a budget and it doesn't run to a newer K13 then there's nothing wrong with a K12.

The FJR isn't quite as sporty in the styling as the K (performance is moot, any big bike is quicker than any of us will ever need) so if Mark's coming from a gixxer then I can see the appeal of a K.

Appreciate you had issues, but that doesn't mean they're all terrible. I've owned two Hondas a Blackbird and a VFR 'with their legendary reliability' and both were a nightmare. The K12 hasn't been.

Like I said, used bikes are a lottery, do your due diligence and go with what tickles your fancy. The K12's not a bad choice.
I think you missed my point, you said that people only talk about the negatives and I was saying I talked about the positives and nobody was interested.  ;)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: mutley-coloured K1300S
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 10:39:31 pm »
1. Superbike Factory will charge you £99 for paperwork. They don't mention it in the price on eBay so legally you can argue the case for not paying it (like I did) and get additional £99 removed. But it's easier to discuss that upfront. Just so you know  >:(
See the subtle asterisk here:
https://www.superbikefactory.co.uk/search_page.php?make=8&model=2203&price=0&body=&ccfrom=0&ccto=9999&mileage=

2. At £250 I would get the BMW warranty instead. Its only about £50-80 more, and will be better than dealing with a non-BMW place I think

And the bike:
- there's marking on the rear disc
- a little rust on the front disc bolts
- tax disc left on. Not been used lately?

In terms of previous owners, try and find out how many miles the last one or two did. Low mileage is always a bit suspect.
And was that servicing by BMW, or someone else?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:42:13 pm by richtea »

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 08:42:52 am »
I understand your point Brian however there would seem to be a huge difference between the "issues" on the first generation K12S up to 06 and the later 07/08s. Perhaps the differences between the last K12s and the K13s are not as great? My bike has absolutely beautiful fuelling and throttle response and believe you me I know what bad fuelling on an injection system can be like :-\  :(
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 10:03:27 am »
I think you missed my point, you said that people only talk about the negatives and I was saying I talked about the positives and nobody was interested.  ;)
[/quote]

Nope I think you absolutely proved my original point about people loving scare stories on forums. The two people who actually own and run K12s of a similar age and who don't need to justify spending more cash on something else to themselves both love their bikes.

Maybe we were lucky or maybe you were unlucky. They made it for what 5 or 6 years before the tweak to the 13 and carrying on with essentially the same bike, so I don't think every single one can be all terrible.

Anyway it's the age old thing, ask a group of people if they like chocolate cake and some will say yes and some will swear it's the devil's work.

Go have a play, if you like it, buy it, if you don't, don't.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:16:07 am by MadMountainbike »
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 10:19:04 am »
We will all keep our fingers crossed for you. Ride it, enjoy it.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 10:24:10 am »
Take a look at Steve Parry's threads about his 1200GT, it's like Triggs broom.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: mutley-coloured K1300S
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 05:41:21 pm »

... so I don't think every single one can be all terrible.

Quite true. 990 registered for the road - they can't all be broken:
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/bmw_k_1200_s

Although it has to be said the 'summer' SORN numbers are rising, i.e. bikes that aren't just being put away for winter, they're just not being ridden at all.
But then again I'm sure any 10+ year old bike would have a similar graph.

And just for fun, the K1300S graph:
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/bmw_k_1300_s

The 'summer' SORNS are just kicking for 1300s.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 06:57:49 pm »
I understand your point Brian however there would seem to be a huge difference between the "issues" on the first generation K12S up to 06 and the later 07/08s. Perhaps the differences between the last K12s and the K13s are not as great? My bike has absolutely beautiful fuelling and throttle response and believe you me I know what bad fuelling on an injection system can be like :-\  :(

Good point. But the bike they are looking at is 2006...

Offline mark_w2018

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 09:47:00 pm »
to be honest, partly due to what i have read here, i'm not going to buy it, instead i bought an FZ1 today. so there you go. thanks for taking the time to reply. ttfn.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2018, 10:11:53 pm »
You don't have to own a BMW to hang around.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE!
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 05:25:05 am »
to be honest, partly due to what i have read here, i'm not going to buy it, instead i bought an FZ1 today. so there you go. thanks for taking the time to reply. ttfn.

Having owned a K1200S and two K1300Ss, and putting some reasonable mileages on all of them,  my position would be; I enjoyed all three bikes. All were fast, comfortable, relatively good on fuel and had lots of useful toys and accessories.  The K1300S is slightly but noticeably better than the K1200S at everything.

If I were spending my own money on a second hand bike I'd have a K1300S in an instant.  If I couldn't afford a K1300S I'd have a Blackbird, or a ZZR/ZXR, or an FJR, or a FZ1 ... or anything but a K1200S!

Good luck with your new bike.  The FZ1s are fine machines but, when your curiosity gets the better of you, and you try a K1300S,  don't be surprised if you become a convert. :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Show you know what you're doing and use your rear brake!

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 10:58:33 pm »
Just like I said, ask for an opinion... 😊

Just to follow up on K1s point I've owned a ZZR and Blackbird and prefer the K12 to both... and the Honda (bought from a main dealer) had loads of reliability problems including really crappy fuel injection and awful brakes 😜
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline capnvini

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Full Remus titanium exhuast
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 05:33:12 pm »
Hi there.
I just sold my 2005 1200s after a year. Various issues. Servo brakes were either going to save your ass or kill you.
I just picked up a 2009 1300s. Rode over 1600km in two days bringing it home. Now home and on roads I am familiar with the differences in handling are very noticeable.
Way lighter feel, more agile. Better in tighter turns and at low speeds.
I would keep looking for a 1300s if you can because you will end up getting one if you buy the 1200 and then want all the good stuff and not much of the bad.
Good luck

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 05:42:42 pm »
The OP has given up and moved on.