Author Topic: Overfilled oil on my bike  (Read 122 times)

Offline Xirtam2

• View Profile
Overfilled oil on my bike
« on: April 27, 2018, 01:35:20 pm »
Good morning/afternoon/evening all,
I read a story about one of the members checking oil level on his K 1300 and and how he ran it till running temp. Then decided to take it for a run, after the run the oil level sort of settled.
Question I have is one completely opposite. 2 weeks ago I check my oil level before going on a run. I ran my bike as per user manual and then checked oil level. It was way below the low level.
So I decided to top it up. All good. Made the run and was fine for the last 2 weeks. Today I decided to go to the local flea market to buy a biking jacket and then to one of the bike shops.
When I came out the shop I noticed that there was oil on my left pannier. I cleaned it and resumed riding home. On getting home again there was oil on my pannier and on the top of my left fairing.
I checked the pipe on the right hand side but couldn't see the level. So decided to open the oil cap up. Where I noticed the level really overfull.
Now to my question. If my engine oil level is over filled what damage could I have caused? Also it was funny how only today the oil spilt over the fairings etc.
Hence today I drained about 750 ml of overfilled oil before I got to the 1/2 way reading.
I have got hold of BMW here and requested a service before my 3700 km trip around South Africa.  I hope I haven't stuffed anything up.
Any comments suggestion would be welcomed.
Best regards Tony

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Overfilled oil on my bike
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 05:42:00 pm »
I've not come across a situation where someone has topped their oil up that much that it has overflowed.

Personally I don't think that you will have done any damage. I think that if the level had got too high in the engine you would have seen some blue smoke from the exhaust.

You will have to be more careful in the future. After all the BMW Advantec oil is too expensive to waste.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 07:15:59 pm »
What's the history Tony.

What bike is it?
What year?
What mileage?
How long have you had the bike?
When was it last serviced?
By whom?
When was the oil last checked before this incident?

And a quick intro in Who's Who always helps 😎

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 09:45:49 pm »
If it's a K1200 or K1300 it couldn't be easier to take some oil out. Just unclip the oil pipe from where it attaches next to the oil filler, pull it down through the frame and pour into a jar or something similar. Re attach the pipe again when you have removed enough oil. Hope this helps.
Watchin you Focker