Author Topic: Electric bike - 145bhp  (Read 8801 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Electric bike - 145bhp
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2020, 08:53:23 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVe4kIJMcdg

7m 50s -> 8m 20s.
The first bit just lets you see what the bike looks like. The last 10s of that section gave me a chuckle.

9m 50s - bling tank - rippling lights!

It's actually quite a pleasant watch all the way through.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2020, 08:59:02 pm »
Just because I learned how, here's a link to that timestamp, more or less:
Quack :)

Looks quite nice, not overly 'off'. Although the heat dissipating bits reminiscent of an air cooled engine are far enough back to make me think "eh." So I  would like more ridiculously expensive fairings there please, with Honda VFR-style fancy air directed where it needs to be.

Anyway, range?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:01:36 pm by Matt »
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2020, 09:13:33 pm »
100 miles if you don't give a monkeys - 140 if you're gentle. Still a little shy of what a K owner needs.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2020, 09:27:12 pm »
Having ridden a 1000 miles on an electric mountain bike since March, cars/bikes anything you like it’s only going one way.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2020, 10:35:27 pm »
Yup, agreed Chris. But currently, for motorbikes anyway, at a cost that's slightly over the value it can give me.
But we're getting closer...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2020, 09:32:58 am »
Is adventure style stil the biggest market in bikes? If so then after the expensive first examples like this, which I'll equate to the first tesla roadster and then the S, they'll eventually get to the mass market, i.e the Volkwagen wtf and the 3.
Yaaay. But because everyone and their mother loves PCP they'll still be more expensive.

"it's only £nn a month sir"
"yesss I knew I wouldn't need maths, screw you Mrs Maths Teacher!"
Brian c. 2019

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2021, 09:05:49 pm »
At a tangent, but still interesting (to me, at least):
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

... they allow automakers to downsize the onboard battery while still eliminating range anxiety, thereby dramatically cutting down the vehicle battery cost.”

Or fit in a motorbike.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 10:49:36 pm »
Aye they're quick enough. I found one on the a39 earlier this year and found he got stuck in traffic like any other car 8)

On a VFR you could be in and out of a petrol station on 5 or 10 minutes, how long to recharge an electric vehicle?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2021, 09:41:26 am »
At a tangent, but still interesting (to me, at least):
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

... they allow automakers to downsize the onboard battery while still eliminating range anxiety, thereby dramatically cutting down the vehicle battery cost.”

Or fit in a motorbike.

Yeah I read that, progress eh. Although if only we could ask both those countries to throttle back on their gross human rights abuses and war crimes, maybe we could also feel good about buying them too :)

Brian c. 2019

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2021, 10:00:36 am »
my brother has a chevy volt, electric motor driven with a 1.4 cc petrol engine as backup, 184 mpg over about 4 years of ownership.
i often thought this was the way to go for electric vehicles but most seem to have pulled away from this design. the toyota/lexus system isn't too bad in the big jeeps giving approx 35mpg and a decent driving experience but it is awful in their smaller car type vehicles with mpg around the 40 mark and acceleration like a tractor, others going full electric which may be good in a city or big town but there's a lot of places that won't suit.
i often thought a motorbike would lend itself to the petrol/electric hybrid system with the gearbox being replaced by an ac motor and a bit of thinking for a battery/batteries placement, or if your a speed freak a dc motor should work in an even more exciting way.
the torque would be amazing, range shouldn't be a problem but the sound would be a bit of a let down....

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2021, 12:02:18 pm »
A few years back I rented an E-MTB for a trip with my son to give my recently replaced hip an easier time on steep climbs. It was an absolute hoot. In low gears with max assistance on it would power wheelie  ;) The instant torque made me think how good a full-size E-bike would be, especially in cities. I'm a petrol head through and through but would seriously consider a leccy bike or car once range and charging has progressed further.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2021, 12:50:38 pm »
Aye they're quick enough. I found one on the a39 earlier this year and found he got stuck in traffic like any other car 8)

On a VFR you could be in and out of a petrol station on 5 or 10 minutes, how long to recharge an electric vehicle?

The small print:
StoreDot is aiming to deliver 100 miles of charge to a car battery in five minutes in 2025.

The same range as a H-D tank.  ;D

If you watch this guy, NewZeroland, he often charges up for about 10 mins - BUT that only gets him 50 miles or so:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEMqkiM5I-98gxZKJXQ65Q

So those two bits of info make 2025 doable, in my mind. At a cost, I've no doubt.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2021, 02:32:28 pm »
I think what will happen is we will rethink the way we plan our journeys and technology will move on and we will meet in the middle somewhere.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2021, 02:42:43 pm »
It might just be Covid messing with my mind (as opposed to alcohol) but one wonders in this ever-more-connected and even-more-home-working world, quite how much range the average motorist needs.

I'm retired so no commuting and even my regular weekend trips are only 50 miles one way. In between, the car rarely goes further than the supermarket.

As a comitted petrol head, my huge gripe with electric anything is not range anxiety but performance anxiety.

Followed a Tesla up Birdlip and through Nettleton (40 limit) and out onto the A417 south (derestriced dual carriageway). He took the left lane through the roundabout and couldn't corner for toffee (him, not his car) and I was out of the roundabout in the S3 20 yards ahead of him at which point his view of the world became that from the bridge of the Starship Enterprise....

Er, OK! I NEED that sort of acceleration and I need it now!

A mile further on, there he was cruising along at 60 doubtless with all sorts of alarms and hooters warning him of an imminent stall or explosion or somesuch. But he had 'put that whipper-snapper in his place'. I can drive the way I drive (more or less full chat) for 280'ish miles before needing to stop for five minutes to recharge my fuel cell, otherwise known as the petrol tank.

But, on that regular run, could I drive his car at maximum amps for the whole 50 miles? Because if I could then who needs a charging station, it was full when I left home and will be full again the next morning all for the cost of a home charger or two.

I still think the original Top Gear crew had the right idea, cover the motorways with electrified chicken wire on poles and fit your electric car with a dodgem-car like coupler and you can charge as you drive.

Simples!

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2021, 04:07:37 pm »
As an engineer, working in factory automation, electric car battery production is one of the hottest topics at present, with projects to massively improve production times, and hence reduce cost all over the world.  Batteries at 25% of their current cost are really not that far away, and if they can also be recharged relatively quickly, then there are starting to become fewer and fewer objections.  Like most on this type of forum, I am a committed petrol head, but I will be very happy with the 90% of the population driving electric, while I can drive my 175BHP petrol guzzling motorbike, with a slightly eased conscience knowing that my professional life has helped in a small way to wider acceptance of electric cars.

Electric cars are still pretty early in their development, and there are going to be huge steps forward in all areas of the technology over the next 15-20 years.  I'm sure we will all be driving them before too long, but I would still very much like something with an Internal Combustion engine tucked away in my garage for a bit of fun at the weekend, and which makes a proper noise.  Who knows where I will still be able to buy petrol to put in it though  :).
Being grumpy makes me happy