Author Topic: Average Speed cameras and GPS  (Read 864 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Average Speed cameras and GPS
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 12:21:41 am »
I don't normally reset at each camera because I ride at spot on 50 mph.

And if the traffic is flowing and you are on a motorway and can make a constant speed, then it is obviously simple! The problem is when the traffic is arsing around and you have no idea what the hell your average actually is. And, my sat nag gets used in the car too, and that makes a whole different mess of average speed.

On the last couple of wrinklies trips we have endured mile after bloody mile of average speed areas which frankly make no sense whatsoever; actually, I might have fallen asleep at a couple of points so they may not even exist....

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! 190bhp at the wheel! :D
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 09:38:01 am »
I always check what type of cameras they are.  Most average speed cameras are front facing.  :D
Something else to pee off the motorists when you overtake them.
The motorists who get pissed off by being overtaken are going to get pissed off regardless. While I try not to upset other road users I don't subscribe to the apparent current thinking that overtaking is on par with drink driving when it comes to evils of the road.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Show you know what you're doing and use your rear brake!

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 01:09:47 am »
I don't normally reset at each camera because I ride at spot on 50 mph.

And if the traffic is flowing and you are on a motorway and can make a constant speed, then it is obviously simple! The problem is when the traffic is arsing around and you have no idea what the hell your average actually is. And, my sat nag gets used in the car too, and that makes a whole different mess of average speed.

On the last couple of wrinklies trips we have endured mile after bloody mile of average speed areas which frankly make no sense whatsoever; actually, I might have fallen asleep at a couple of points so they may not even exist....
What I should have said is that I ride at spot on 50 mph average speed.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! 190bhp at the wheel! :D
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:34 am »

I always check what type of cameras they are.  Most average speed cameras are front facing.  :D

I read that too, but I'm not sure that advice can be trusted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECS_(speed_camera) says front-facing only
> The system has another deficiency in that since the cameras only read the front number plate of a vehicle, speeding motorcycles escape detection because they have no front number plate to read.

But the manufacturer contradicts that:
http://www.jenoptik.co.uk/product/specs
> Cameras can be installed in front or rear-facing orientation and violations can be recorded between multiple locations and multiple lanes within the system.

I think the difference is that SPECS cameras can work on both front and rear but are only approved for enforcement using the front.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Show you know what you're doing and use your rear brake!

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org