Author Topic: The Day Of Reckoning  (Read 5190 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
The Day Of Reckoning
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:17:48 pm »
Some useful tips. Let's hope that you don't need them.

http://www.influx.co.uk/features/the-day-of-reckoning/
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: The Day Of Reckoning
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 11:47:27 pm »
Hmm! I have 'some' experience in this matter, although thankfully none of it is recent.

I was doing 69.9 as I transitioned from an empty, unrestricted dual-carriageway into the run-in to the A34/M3 interchange, with my eyes glued on my rear views where an officer of Her Majesty's constabulary was making his point.

His point was that my Honda was doing well over 130 when he saw me and I saw him parked up off the road. By the time he was with me I was, obviously, doing the statuary 69.9 and my eyes were boring holes in my mirrors. After turning onto the M3 the bumptious pig felt my collar with the question all drivers fear; 'Do you know what the speed limit is on the Krugbeurberu Link?' Having established that this was the last bit of the dual-carriageway and not the Katmandu ring-road, I assured him that I did. When he questioned me further, I revealed that it was, in fact an un-restricted dual-carriageway with the national speed limit of 70 of Her Maj's miles per hour.

His little piggy face looked like he had just won the lottery (which hadn't begun back then) as he gleefully went on to point out that the last one mile stretch had a 60 mph limit. 'Since when?' 'Since midnight last night!' he nastily retorted as though it had been like that since the Romans left.

As one of those drivers who actually stick to most 'posted' speed limits and ALL new ones I was happy to take my rap over the knuckles but no, Occifer Porcine not only wanted to stick the knife in, he wanted to jump up and down on it too. 'I'll see you in court' were his departing words.

I didn't prepare in any way for the following court appearance which was my first as a criminal but I was happy that the bench would see the genuine mistake I made in nervously watching the Police bike in my mirrors and missing the big, bright and very shiny new 60 signs. How was I to know that the copper's mother, father, sister and wife were all on the bench, at least that is what it seemed like to me.

Throwing a hissy fit at the pre-determined verdict and telling the beaks just what sort of toss-pots I thought they were before storming out in a huff was perhaps not my finest moment, but every time I remember the looks on their arrogant, self-satisfied faces, it brings a really warm glow to my innards.

Brian (Who does realise that he was really nicked for the unproveable 130 in a 70 rather than the 70 in a 60!)

PS Whilst I cannot recommend any of the above, my next appearance was a totally different experience  ::)

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 02:46:31 am »
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:22:29 am »
Take your medicine Tom, I've done 3 speed awareness courses, so they obviously work.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:47:09 am »
Take your medicine Tom, I've done 3 speed awareness courses, so they obviously work.

Im Tim, hes Tom ;), but yes, I shall doff me hat and say "Yes sir no sir", speed cameras are obviously a major contribution to job creation, sorry, I mean Road Safety
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:52:31 am by Timbox »
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:42:19 am »

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 09:12:22 am »
If anyone wants to start a speeding in Europe oh Lordy Lordy  ;) the European law really do have some party tricks up their sleeves now days. ::)

....oh that's very true and they chase you all the way back to blighty as well to get their pound of euros from you. And don't get us started on the arcane laws that the French politicians have started to bandy about, ggrrrrrrrr.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 09:38:40 am »
Well my experience is only the Swiss do that but I'd be interested to hear of other experiences.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 10:01:45 am »
The Australians try to chase up fines and issued all sorts of threats about removing our property. I wonder if it will get flagged up at passport control if I ever try to enter Oz?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 10:16:26 am »
Tim, you are a very naughty boy and deserve the gallows.

Chris. I did say this was only one of my misdemeanors and from way back. The second time I ended up in court was much more civilised.

Brian (who doesn't think he could keep a straight face or a quiet tongue in a speed awareness course and anyway, he has a fully functioning speed awareness ometer in all his vehicles so would be forced to take the points)

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:33:04 am »

Im Tim, hes Tom ;), but yes, I shall doff me hat and say "Yes sir no sir", speed cameras are obviously a major contribution to job creation, sorry, I mean Road Safety
I  must have been having a senior moment

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 10:48:24 am »
Tim, you are a very naughty boy and deserve the gallows.

Chris. I did say this was only one of my misdemeanors and from way back. The second time I ended up in court was much more civilised.

Brian (who doesn't think he could keep a straight face or a quiet tongue in a speed awareness course and anyway, he has a fully functioning speed awareness ometer in all his vehicles so would be forced to take the points)

Now come on Brian you are teasing us, divulge please.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 12:48:06 pm »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 02:02:34 pm »

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 02:58:21 pm »
excellent parable there Brian.

A happy ending(relatively speaking) :D

Bet there aren't may motorcycling magistrates around these days so I'm going to keep my nose clean.

Bob