Author Topic: Oil Advice and Recommendation Thread  (Read 25164 times)

Offline oilman

• View Profile
    • Opie Oils
Oil Advice and Recommendation Thread
« on: July 29, 2016, 02:24:49 pm »
If you would like any oil advice or a recommendation for your car please feel free to ask here and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

To help us to give the most accurate advice possible we do need some information about your bike. e.g:

Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
Performance modifications:
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc)

Any oil we recommend is available to buy from us (if you would like to) for delivery throughout the UK and many destinations in Europe. We offer a really extensive range of oils and lubricants from 11 major oil manufacturers at prices much lower than the high street and main dealers. We stock oils and fluids that meet pretty much all manufacturers and international specifications. Our brands include, Silkolene, Fuchs,  Castrol, Motul, Mobil, Millers Oils, Shell and many more.

The good news is, now the Club is a member of our club discount scheme you can discounts of at least 10% across our entire range.

To redeem your 10% club discount simply use the following club discount code at the checkout.

EUROK

Once the code is added at the checkout you will then receive your extra 10% club discount. However this discount code cannot be used in conjunction with other offer codes, BUT the code can be used in conjunction with any of our offers on this page HERE that do not require offer codes.

Any questions please ask here or contact us via email at sales@opieoils.co.uk

Finally, if there are any products we don't stock and you have difficulty getting hold of elsewhere, let us know and we'll see if we can stock them.

We look forward to being of help!

Cheers
Guy, Opie Oils

You can also contact us by phone on +44 1209 202944
(All oils recommended are available to buy online at my web site)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:11:46 am by raesewell »
Use the code EUROK and get 10% Club Discount
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
phone: 01209 202944

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Oil Advice and Recommendation Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 02:34:45 pm »
Do you have engine oil for a 2015 K1300S that complies fully with the BMW requirements?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 02:39:58 pm »
I had money on it being you that asked the-elephant-in-the-room question Tom!

Offline oilman

• View Profile
    • Opie Oils
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 02:57:05 pm »
Do you have engine oil for a 2015 K1300S that complies fully with the BMW requirements?

Afternoon,

The Oil you are looking for Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 5w-40

Cheers
Phil

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 03:21:34 pm »
Oh dear, this is going to get messy!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 04:51:02 pm »
Interesting because my BMW dealer only recommended using BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Ultimate SAE 5W-40 which has a higher API specification.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline oilman

• View Profile
    • Opie Oils
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 05:04:38 pm »
Hi

Fair enough, but I think that might well be a case of the dealer saying 'This is what you need because this is what we sell.' According to my data, the oil needs to have the specification of API SL and JASO MA or higher, which the Castrol oil meets (it exceeds the MS spec, it's MA2). Also, it's what a lot of BMW dealers were selling until the commercial tie up they had with Castrol ended.

Cheers

Tim

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 08:49:43 pm »
But what about the clutch lubrication and those special additives introduced to stop it failing?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 09:50:44 pm »
Well spot it man , the additive is what we are looking for. And for what we pay a lot of money. Speaking someone who had spent a fortune in oils fm importing directly fm the states amsoil and quacker state not to mention q8 or other as far as Japan. All without any change to oil consumption on k13 bikes and with no effect on k12 clutch slippage. So back to BMW oil sold here fm the company that makes it 5e per litre but without the synthetic polimeric additive added to Poland .
So yes we've done a lot of research and all results and relevant info even a detail analysis of the new BMW oil is posted in technical section for those wanted to investigate further.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:41:42 pm »
Didn't I say it was going to get messy?

Bullet

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 10:50:40 pm »
So after reading all that....which oil can be used ??? :o

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 11:25:12 pm »
Ant, don't ask just sit back and watch  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 12:38:20 am »

As you can deduce from my rather acidic inputs, there isn't a simple answer to your question, nor Tom's, although I think Tom knew that before he asked the question  ::)

Strictly speaking, any modern oil that is recommended by the oil mfr. can be used. However, the devil is in the (hidden) detail!

When BMW were recommending Castrol oils, the one they 'sold' was not, according to them, a standard Castrol mix but rather one with certain magical chemical additives specifically designed to aid the semi-wet clutch squeal and judder problems with which the K13, in some instances, is blessed!

As Opie say, there is a certain degree of, how shall we say, bias, in the BMW recommendation and the stories and claims of the magical properties of the claimed additional additives!

I think that the uber-cautious among us, together with those relying on the BMW extended warranty, will be sticking with the overly expensive BMW supplied lube. Those who eschew the services of the dealer network, do their own servicing and think that Duckhams 20/50 was a perfectly good oil in its day, (and it was unless you ran a Ford and didn't mind the white emulsion in your rocker-box cover) may well be tempted to use the excellent oil recommended by Opie and others.

Brian (who wouldn't want to be the first to attempt to claim on the extended warranty for a damaged clutch/transmission without proof that he had only used BMW recommended oil)

PS I don't know of a case where anyone has determined whether 'oils and lubricants' fall into the same category as 'Genuine and Original BMW parts'.

Bullet

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 06:51:06 am »
Phew !

Well I've been using the one oilman showed fortunately, and its available in French supermarkets, so if anything un-toward happens i will let everyone no.
As far as I'm concerned, if oil of a same or similar spec is used to whats rec. by the manufacturer, changed on or before the due date, everything will hopefully be ok. And thats all you can do.
Rae would have met someone recently who just does exactly that with his FJR, and its now on 237,000 miles !

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 10:16:25 am »
I thought he'd only done 225,000  ;D
I've told you a million times not to exaggerate  ;)