Author Topic: Time for a new lid... C5 or Quantic  (Read 6571 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Time for a new lid... C5 or Quantic
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2021, 07:20:10 pm »
Well, I see a lot of other manufacturers also have Class 1 visors ( Schuberth, Shoei, AGV et al ) so they're not unique to Bell, but anyway I think mine makes a difference and now I wouldn't want anything less.

You're right - many top end helmets have Class 1 visors:
https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/tag/optically-correct-visor/
4 pages-worth, and I'd say that's probably on old-ish list since mine is on there, and it was discontinued last year.

Basically the visor will be absolutely minimal distraction (which I can confirm for my AGV).
Until you scratch it. When it will cost a fortune to replace. Grrr.  >:(

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2021, 07:58:46 pm »
You'd probably loose the class 1 rating by adding a Pinlock; I think some of them you're not supposed to use at night either.  The only time I've real ly noticed any distortion from a visor is with the Arai Tour X4.

I have been out in the Quantic today... about 150 miles, mostly raining. It's very comfy and quieter than the GT-Air 2. The visor latch is fiddly and the lack of the overhang at the back means the rain got into the neck of my jacket, so I'll need to remember to use the storm collar that I've never bothered with before. On balance, it's good so far.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2021, 08:02:30 pm »
Having started my riding with cheap Bob Heath visors on Centurian helmets then I think just about anything you put on or look through these days is going to be pretty good!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2021, 11:51:36 am »
I think the optics on my old Turbovisor were Class 1.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2021, 05:21:42 pm »
I think the optics on my old Turbovisor were Class 1.

Well the advert does say 'You can really see in the rain'. Jim Redman, no less.

Courtesy of Iron Horse Spares:

I'd say that's more of a nervous look than a contented one.

And is that phone number where you could dial WES on your Trimphone, and then 9861?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2022, 05:35:21 pm »
The only two helmets on the market at the moment that meet the new standard are the Quantic and the C5. I'm sure the other manufacturers are working away frantically.

There are more than two announced, but not necessarily available immediately:
https://bikerrated.com/gear/helmets/ece-22-06-helmet-guide/

Shoei has the NXR2, for example, at a sensible price:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/536419#/23681,2923,1083

And another  ECE 22.06-compliant one - Ruroc Atlas 4 and it's British, by jove! All the way from Gloucester (and China for manufacturing).

It looks like the worthy successor to a Simpson. Perfect for all K1300R riders:
https://www.ruroc.com/en_gb/atlas-4

I like their very honest & detailed performance PDF:
https://www.ruroc.com/en_gb/atlas-4-quiet-motorcycle-helmet
halfway down the page there's a link

It's not going to beat a Schuberth, but it's not bad. And does Schuberth come with a grinning skull?
You pays your money, you takes your choice...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2022, 06:10:49 pm »
Gosh! Certainly fancy looking. Are they a known brand? Me not knowing them probably doesn't mean much. I look forward to seeing how much they are.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2022, 09:50:18 pm »
Not known to me either. I just thought it was worth checking out because of the twin whammy of 1) ECE 22.06 and 2) British.

I can only think of one other helmet maker in the UK (the ones I'm thinking of are expensive yet pointless fashion items), but I guess there may be others?

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2022, 01:53:31 pm »
Sportsbikeshop have just put up a Schuberth C4 Pro clearance offer @ €399 which is a fair whack off new.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2022, 12:10:42 pm »
A report after a visit to the new in the midle of a deserted area in the old east Germany.  Shuberth  factory .
The company was bought by one of those aggressive and with no idea what they are doing funds. Called PERUSA
First decision: transfer the whole factory to some old installations to the old east Germany,  target: low manufacturing cost. Result every single one employ left the company.
New technicians, designers etc were hired. All new , with fresh ideas but no experience in a field were experience plays a major role. C4 was born with no road test. Result the disgusting stupid water and fog NON resistant C4, something not at all good for a helmet.
The whole idea brought the brand to the very edge of bankruptcy.  The share holders close to hang by the neck executives.  The solution was provided thanks to funds made immediately available.
A few old designers and some from the manufacturing department were offered 5 times the salary plus all movement expenses and joined the factory. Armed with carte blanche they designed the new C5 .
Now the chair designer stated " we design the new lid with many new inovations ( and they are many and very welcomed), and 22-05 ECE regulations compliance , mark is the first and only one complied with 22-05 currently in the market. For us this was the only way to gane all that we lost with the C4. We did so by using the C3 aa a starting base since 4 was excellent only as garden pot". 
Had the opopportunity to test it and in my opinion is the best in the market for tourism . The total cost close to 1000 with the SENA made comms system with many features already pre-installed  is the best choice. Huge plus the ability to choose the correct internal pads for perfect fit right at the dealer.     
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 01:05:36 pm by richtea »
Embrace the wind.