Author Topic: BMW R1200RT or K1200GT  (Read 8313 times)

Offline NIgeQ

• View Profile
BMW R1200RT or K1200GT
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:02 am »
I'm looking to get a second bike to sit alongside a Street Triple. I'll use it for occasional touring and two up riding with my wife, probably 1500 to 2000 miles a year.
I've narrowed the search to two bikes, both 2007.
The R1200RT is owned by an instructor and has been very well maintained (paid for by the Riding School) is cheap but has done 70,000 miles. I've not seen it in the flesh yet but it looks very clean and the bloke selling it says its in good condition runs well etc and it looks good in the photo's.
The K1200GT has only done 25,000 miles but is much more expensive, 3 times the price of the R1200

Both bikes are SE models with all bells and whistles, BMW panniers & top box, ABS, Traction Control ESA suspension etc

Question is, which one would you buy? My spannering skills are zero and any maintenance will need to be carried out by a garage.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:29:55 am by NIgeQ »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: BMW R1200RT or K1200GT
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:17:36 pm »
OK, here comes an honest answer that probably won't be popular! - Neither!

From your post, cost is obviously a major consideration and both have the very realistic potential to be very expensive going forward. The K1200 could easily double it's cost in 2 years should the coils, ABS/brakes and radiator need replacing and I expect very few would bet against at least one of those happening.

The R1200 is at a mileage where expensive repairs are likely to become the norm. It could be a "good 'un" and do many more very cheap, trouble free miles but it could, just as easily, cost a fortune in getting little bits here and there fixed.

If it were my money it would be going on a ST1300 or an FJR.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:44 pm »
realistically, my money would be on the RT, not sure why the mileage should mean lots of expense ? my old RT11 was cheap to repair and service at home and I'm not sure the RT12 has that many problems if it has servo brakes then they can be bypassed easily and as a tourer IMHO it will beat the pants off a Pan  :P the FJR ? got to be honest have never tried one so it would depend really on what is the base cost for the RT? if its cheap enough you could budget for some repairs (and maybe never use it) the K12 ? as an owner I wouldn't pay 3x the price of an RT although again for what I paid for mine and the use it gets, I'm happy to take a chance.
lets not forget your mileage expectations you are not looking for a commuter, you would be very unlucky to break a half decent RT12 in less than several years of use

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:15 pm »
I'm sure you all know what I would say.
FJR FJR FJR  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 05:45:06 pm »
Pardon, did someone say something?

With zero bike fettling skills and cost being an issue I think I would go for a UJM? Take your pick really but I would be looking at a Honda, Rae would get another FJR and some would get a K.

Just the opinion of a competent spannerer with three Hondas a GS and 2 K bikes in my history.

Offline NIgeQ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:31:59 pm »
Saw the K1200 today and took it for a quick spin.
First impressions are,  seemed heavy when you got on but the weight quickly disappeared once you got going. Handles really well.  Engines lovely, pulls really well from very low revs in any gear. The electric screen works really well, the ESA does its job too. To be honest I was a bit nervous about the weight but thats probably cos i've been blatting about on the Street Triple for the past year. I think I could really quickly get used to it. The only question I have is its reliability, the bloke selling it showed me lots of receipts of work carried out under warranty and a list of work done under BMW recalls. He takes out an extended BMW warranty that costs about £30/ month but was glad he did cos the ABS failed and cost north of £1500 to sort out!
I guess it boils down to whether or not I it will keep going wrong.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:44:58 pm »
If you are really set on getting a K the monthly warranty is not transferable. I will say this only once  :D DO NOT RUN THIS BIKE WITHOUT A WARRANTY
Don't say we didn't tell you.

Offline NIgeQ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 05:43:48 pm »
If you are really set on getting a K the monthly warranty is not transferable. I will say this only once  :D DO NOT RUN THIS BIKE WITHOUT A WARRANTY
Don't say we didn't tell you.
Ok, so I've looked into this today if I decide to go ahead and purchase the K1200, BMW Motorrad will sell me an extended warranty which on the face of it covers every mechanical breakdown for about £350. Interestingly they'll sell me one for the 70k mileage   R1200RT too for a similar price. Decisions, decisions.....

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 06:32:06 pm »
They will not warranty a bike past 80,000 miles.
The warranty does not cover the radiator.

Offline NIgeQ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 07:45:08 pm »
Covers
Cooling system
Failure of the radiator (excluding damage, clogging and/or sedimentation blockage), water pump, thermostat and housing.
 :-\

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 10:14:19 pm »
Extended warranty only covers the shocks up to 30,000miles.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 10:20:46 pm »
We've tried our best Tom but he seems intent on buying into the dream  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 11:44:58 pm »
Covers
Cooling system
Failure of the radiator (excluding damage, clogging and/or sedimentation blockage), water pump, thermostat and housing.
 :-\

The biggest fault with the radiator on the K12/13 is that it clogs from the outside, courtesy of the crap-chucker otherwise known as the front tyre! My K12 corroded through from the outside! Not once did it ever overheat or show any signs of the impending woe.

Then, one dark wet night I came out of the local Shell station to find some **** arsing around under the bike. Just before I gave his head a TCX imprint he stuck his finger in his mouth and declared 'Anti-freeze! I thought it was brake fluid leaking!'.

So, £400 later....

So, clogging is NOT covered.

At the mileage you are considering, the suspension/ESA is not covered.

The best advice you are getting from some of the very experienced members in here (many of whom have suffered all the nasty failures you can imagine and some of them many times over) is caveat emptor!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:01:59 am »
Nigel didn't really want our advice did he?  ;D ;D :o

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 11:02:38 am »
I guess there's always the chance a mountain of receipts confirmed a replacement radiator... part of the reason why I got the S I did... I have a 54k S with a 10k radiator...  :)
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!