Author Topic: I’m mildly impressed by people who designed VCR mechanisms.  (Read 1467 times)

Andym535

My Mum asked me if I could copy something off an old VHS tape for her. She sent it in the post, but when I plugged in the old JVC VHS thing it failed to start. I found and fixed the first fault - a dead capacitor in the power supply but now I’m trying to get the loading and tape transport to work. From what I can see it’s just the drive belts have stretched a bit, as It almost works if you give the motors a but if manual assistance.

I’ve never really looked in detail at how these thing work before, but they are really complicated. If you needed such a thing today you’d use CAD of course, but back in the 80s it must have been really difficult to design them. No wonder they were so expensive.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: I’m mildly impressed by people who designed VCR mechanisms.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 10:19:36 pm »
I'm amazed that you still have one, let alone that it 'might' still work... 8)

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:50:52 am »
We have a VHS system in perfect working order (or at least it was when last used!) that you are welcome to borrow if needed. The problem would be though transporting it from Norfolk to you and back, I suppose?

Andym535

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:30:50 am »
Thanks for the offer, but might be easier to source a s/h unit locally once lockdown is over. Either that or wait for someone to fly tip one down one of the local lanes. Mine was working fine too, the last time I used it. That was probably a few years ago though.

I've found the service manual online, but seems there are almost no parts available. The VCR (JVC HR-DVC1) dates from about 2004 as far as I can work out. It has MiniDV and S-VHS decks, with firewire output so it can digitise tapes without needing to feed the video output into a converter, which makes it really handy for archiving old tapes. Firewire, once an Apple favourite interface, seems to have died out too but at least I have a selection of old Macs that have it and still work.

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 12:25:32 pm »
Andym, it's here if you need it.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 01:46:19 pm »
£25 posted:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/video-recorders/bush-vcr938nsil-vcr-/1370949780

You'll need a controller  / phone with infra-red.