Author Topic: Things ChatGPT gets wrong  (Read 858 times)

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
Things ChatGPT gets wrong
« on: November 08, 2023, 10:06:04 am »
You'd think a computer would be good at binary, but it seems not. Let's hope it's not connected to the pod bay doors or anything else important.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Things ChatGPT gets wrong
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 10:25:57 am »
Interesting that the answer is pure logic, and not an opinion or even received wisdom, and it's still wrong.
Did you ask it to correct itself?

I particularly like the way the output says sorry but the underlying message is that's not. Sorry but not sorry.
Like a belligerent politician.

'ChatGPT can make mistakes. Consider checking important information'

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 10:55:47 am »
Why would one want to know the answer to the posed question? Slow riding day?

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 11:57:57 am »
Interesting that the answer is pure logic, and not an opinion or even received wisdom, and it's still wrong.
Did you ask it to correct itself?

I particularly like the way the output says sorry but the underlying message is that's not. Sorry but not sorry.
Like a belligerent politician.

'ChatGPT can make mistakes. Consider checking important information'

This was about it's 5th attempt, after which I gave up. First answer was a list of 10 numbers, then it gave me a python script to generate them (which gave the wrong answer too). The 'and this list is now accurate' statement made me laugh. I guess there are 10 types of computer too.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 12:12:42 pm »
Why would one want to know the answer to the posed question? Slow riding day?

I was thinking about the number of different routes there are round a magic roundabout. Not sure a correct answer would of helped, but that's where it started from.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 07:18:08 pm »
How many different routes there are round a magic roundabout?

ChatGPT:
There's a famous magic roundabout in Swindon, UK, with five mini-roundabouts arranged in a circle. If you're talking about that one, you can technically take 8 different routes around it. It's like a vehicular choose-your-own-adventure!

Is it true? That's an exercise for the reader.  :P

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 08:25:32 pm »
I asked the Bing CoPilot thing the same question. It replied with a fairly convincing, but wrong, explanation of how to work it out with binomials. It claims there are 219 numbers on the list, I think there are 84. It said it wouldn’t waste its time giving me the whole list. I offered to give it 84 if it could add an 85th then it started getting arsy and saying 219 was a fact, not an opinion.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 10:09:16 pm »
You realise this is a motorcycle forum?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 10:17:40 pm »
You realise this is a motorcycle forum?

This is a safe space my good sir! We're in the lounge where
Pull up a bar stool and have a chat about stuff that isn't bike specific, or even to do with bikes....
I believe this was written by one of the disciples :P

I never liked bikes* anyway.

*by bikes I mean snakes
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 07:43:31 am »

ChatGPT:
There's a famous magic roundabout in Swindon, UK, with five mini-roundabouts arranged in a circle. If you're talking about that one, you can technically take 8 different routes around it. It's like a vehicular choose-your-own-adventure!

Sounds about right but it does mean you'll go past on the "other side" of the mini roundabout for your exit to then come back to it later, or go the "wrong way" at the entrance to then come back past the entrance.

At any entrance you can go left or right. Each direction offers a total of 4 mini roundabouts, one of which you'll use to exit. 2 directions x 4 mini roundabouts = 8 possible routes (without re-tracing any of your steps or going more than 360 degrees any roundabout, mini or main).
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 11:28:11 am »
Being semi-local I can't say it is on any of my regular routes in Swindon but having traversed it once about ten years ago it does seem to be a real 'duck and dive' piece of road with the A-B regulars going the same way they always go, strangers stopping and staring like it was a shark-infested swimming pool and the chancers seemingly doing the 'fastest route right now' calculation in mere milli-seconds.

I can't say I ever noticed all the white lines and 'keep clear' boxes in the centre and I'm not sure they were ever there way back in the mists of time when it first appeared. With the traffic volume back then it was way less scary than it is with today's manic throngs.

Mind you, having lived in the area before it appeared and frequented Swindon on a semi-regular basis ever since, I also never realised that that was where where the County Ground was, with, at one time, it's own car park exit onto the roundabout. Now that would have been interesting at kick out time.

Perhaps a better question for AI would be 'which is the most likely route to take from A-B for someone who has never been there before'.

Online Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 04:59:57 pm »

ChatGPT:

I'm not sure how it gets to 8. 

It's been a while since I've driven across the Swindon Magic roundabout, but used to live nearby and did it quite a lot when I was much younger, including as a learner.  Once you make you initial "Am I going right or left?" decision, you're more or less committed, and just keep going in that direction until you get to the exit you want.  With 5 mini-roundabouts, there is an optimum, route, as one way will always require fewer mini's than the other.  I always tended to go left, as it felt more familiar.

Assuming you know which exit you want, I can't see there is anything more than the initial Left or right choice?  To get to 8 different routes, would require you to do U turns at one of the mini-roundabouts, and if you allow for that, there is an infinite number.  This is what terrifies people, as some get so confused they are just going backwards and fforwards, without ever reaching their exit.
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2023, 09:41:10 pm »
I go through the magic roundabout now and then, it's easy enough if you take each section at a time and give way when you should, as normal.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2023, 08:22:58 am »

ChatGPT:

It's been a while since I've driven across the Swindon Magic roundabout, but used to live nearby and did it quite a lot when I was much younger, including as a learner.  Once you make you initial "Am I going right or left?" decision, you're more or less committed, and just keep going in that direction until you get to the exit you want.  With 5 mini-roundabouts, there is an optimum, route, as one way will always require fewer mini's than the other.  I always tended to go left, as it felt more familiar.

Assuming you know which exit you want, I can't see there is anything more than the initial Left or right choice?  To get to 8 different routes, would require you to do U turns at one of the mini-roundabouts, and if you allow for that, there is an infinite number.  This is what terrifies people, as some get so confused they are just going backwards and fforwards, without ever reaching their exit.

The main assumption in the response is that, while you can cross your path, you can't repeat a path, so the number of U turns is limited to the number of roundabouts. Likewise, the other assumption is that you can't do 360 degrees or more on any given roundabout, mini or main so you can't include the mini roundabout you start on. That's how you get to 8.

However, 8 includes the situations where you will be required to go past your exit- before going around a mini roundabout to come back to it. Something any "thinking" driver/rider is not going to do. (Unless the Mrs in the passenger/pillion seat is saying "That way ... no, that way ... no that way!" :D- )
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2023, 03:20:33 pm »

ChatGPT:

(Unless the Mrs in the passenger/pillion seat is saying "That way ... no, that way ... no that way!" :D- )

I'm sure it doesn't actually need someone navigating to confuse a poor soul who stumbles across it by 'accident'. I wondered what a more or less competent navigator would make of it so I asked MyRoute App to take me across it starting on Shrivenham Road heading south west and leaving onto Fleming Way heading west.

It did a more than passable job and actually did take me on an 'adventurous' route heading the 'wrong way' round the centre island and only failing by showing a route that went directly through the middle of the entry and exit roundabouts rather than by going around them. I'm sure I wouldn't be the first to make such a mistake there if I 'just followed the sat nag occifer'.