Author Topic: Other Bikes - CCM GP450  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
Other Bikes - CCM GP450
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »
CCM GP450 Adventure

I went to the factory in Bolton the other day with a friend who was considering buying one of these machines (as moral support). We went out for a test ride, had a tour of the unit. Chatted to the Tech co-ordinator / designer and had a nice cup of tea.

The Ride

Three bikes were available. One standard, one lowered, one set up for a 95K+ rider. I started on the standard bike which had done less than 50 miles. The engine and gearbox were understandably tight and neutral was a little tricky to find. The ride quality was excellent. All controls fell to hand. Riding position was ideal sitting and standing, gear lever a little high, but that’s adjustable. I rode this for about 40 minutes on a variety of roads including some easy green lanes (farm tracks with mud, deep potholes uneven surface etc.) and B roads. All roads were fun and the bike was very secure on the lanes using the Dunlop Trailmax tyres. Reasonably enthusiastic riding on the tarmac was also secure. We swapped over bikes so I had the 95k+ one as this was well run in. Having experienced the run in engine, my friend wanted to see how the standard setup was. I’m 75K and 5’ 6”. On the standard bike I could get the balls of both feet on the ground. The higher sprung bike got me on tip toes. This was fine as it’s a light bike and I’m used to my own tallish green lane bike. The riding position was less good on this one for me. In reality the bars needed adjusting to get things in place. The motor and gearbox were much more flexible and it was also fun to ride if a little harsh (suspension wise) as I needed many more pies for its setup. I just preferred the riding position of the standard bike. We spent another 40 minutes or so, maybe more, on these bikes. This included some town and dual carriageway riding. The bike is geared so 30mph is just on the cusp of 4th and 5th gear which is a bit frustrating, best just to leave it in 4th round town. The bike pulled easily up to an indicated 70mph and felt comfortable. It would pull away easily in 2nd gear so some sprocket experimentation may be possible if you are not intending doing any steep off road stuff. Weather protection was quite good for such a small screen. This is no motorway munching superbike though. It’ll do the job, but smaller roads are its home territory, which is fine by me.

The Bike

This is a well put together piece of kit. The frame is a work of art. It was lovely having the chance to see bikes in various stages of assembly and being able to ask technical questions which were answered in full. I believe the motor has a racing heritage. This was discussed re longevity. In short it was designed to be thrashed at up to 12,000 rpm. Peak power is now at around 7,000 rpm. A different life from its original design spec. Experiments had been done to see if it would benefit from a greater oil capacity. This was not needed.
Various extras and bolt on goodies are available of course.

My conclusion

I liked it, my friend bought one. If I was in the market for a lightweight, go most places bike with a decent range this would be around the top of my list. It’s easy to manage, would be easy to pick up; I’d feel happy riding it on green lanes significantly harder than those encountered. I’d do continental touring on it, although it’s not suitable for a pillion in my opinion. However, I’d avoid motorways, which I do anyway. I wouldn’t opt for their soft luggage, I’d use metal stuff or maybe Kriega or the AdventureSpec Magadan ones, which are far more robust that the ones supplied. It fills a hole in the market. If you have no intention of doing the odd dirt or rocky trail then you would probably be better with a different tool. If you want the flexibility this offers then other bikes which have the capability tend to lack the comfort and the range. By the time that is sorted the price difference is less offensive. I wish them luck.

http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/gp450.asp#.VOYaJfmsV8E
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:19:05 pm by Paul C »
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: Other Bikes - CCM GP450
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:08:21 pm »
Out of interest what does you friend intend to with it,there's been some talk on the XT660 about the CCM but I think most think a 450 is too small for any kind of serious road use with these guys offering similar but with the XT660 motor

http://www.ajpmotos.co.uk/

It's a fine line with these kind of bikes from the likes of the various 690 KTM's to the XT660X/R and the Tenere which can also be modded,when I started with my XT I agonised over a 690 SMR with all of it's savvy but stayed with the safe route and a much modded XTX which probably in the Uk is my main bike it'll show 105 on the speedo flat out which I guess is around low 90's will cruise all day long with 85/90 on the clock and on my/our 180 mile trip to Crossgates café in the week is very effective.

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
Re: Other Bikes - CCM GP450
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:43:29 pm »
The friend is in his 70's and is concerned about managing a heavy bike. He has  BMW R1200LC ADV but wants something smaller for when he's doing short tours focusing on B roads with the odd trail here and there. Plus when he's just out for a day ride from home. He is a very accomplished rider. He'll keep the BM for extended tours, specially when he's with other folks (me) who can pick it up if needed!
A bigger engine would help the bike on bigger roads but then we start getting weight issues perhaps? Actually it was fine, you cut your cloth accordingly.
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT