Author Topic: Brake woes  (Read 962 times)

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
Brake woes
« on: March 15, 2024, 02:01:52 pm »
I ride my bike all year round, and through this winter it has got pretty grubby and my pads were starting to bind a little.  So took the callipers off, pumped the pistons out a bit to clean them (not too far), and then pushed them back all the way in.  They were actually moving pretty freely.  Cleaned up the pad backplates and the calliper body, as the corrosion was causing the pads to bind in this area.  Put it all back together.  Did this on both front and rear pads.  However, I cannot get the pads to pump out against the discs, seemingly having just endless travel on either front or rear levers.  I've started the bike, and moved it far enough so the ABS light and Brake failure message is no longer illuminated, but still nothing.  I'm guessing I have a problem with the ABS pump, but before I go too far in this direction does anyone else have any ideas.  I do not have a GS911, so can't run diagnostics via this.
Thanks
Jason
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Brake woes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 03:51:35 pm »
If the ABS is not working you should still have normal braking just without the ABS.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 03:56:37 pm »
I did the same thing last year, you need a GS911 to bleed the ABS pump. I tried all ways in the end I stumpped up for a second hand one from ebay, i did both front and back with the 911 , they're as good as new now. plus I made some blocks to stop the pistons coming out too far next time.

Best regards  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 04:03:16 pm »
You haven’t got snowballs chance in hell of sorting without a GS911.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 07:23:44 pm »
I don't understand what it has to do with the ABS. Nothing was bled or drained and refilled so there should be no fluid pressure issues to need sorting.

I've changed my front brake pads twice and run the pistons in and out (a little) and back in and never had a pressure or travel problem.

Seems odd to me.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 08:40:26 pm »
I don't understand what it has to do with the ABS. Nothing was bled or drained and refilled so there should be no fluid pressure issues to need sorting.

I've changed my front brake pads twice and run the pistons in and out (a little) and back in and never had a pressure or travel problem.

Seems odd to me.

Agreed. I did this about 2 weeks ago with no loss of pressure.

Offline nealchaykin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Heed crash bars, Givi top case, classic windscreen with Laminar Lip, gel seat, carbon everywhere
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 01:12:21 am »
Just a random thought, have you checked the reservoir?
Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 07:47:19 am »
Had the ABS warning come on and I’d done nothing and with an XR that would tell me it needed servicing when it didn’t a 10 vin GS911 was just a fact of life.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 01:53:02 pm »
Guys when I screwed mine up I was fitting new pads, I thought while the pads were out i'd take the opportunity to clean the pistons. I pumped them out gently but not gently enough and popped one thus needing bleeding. I bled them as normal but although they worked they were too spongy for my liking
some people said on various forums you don't need to bleed the ABS but believe me you do !  and, you can't do it without the GS911, or some other program that does the same function. Afterwards the feel is perfect and solid.
Like I said I have now made up some stops to fit in the calipers to stop the pistons coming out too far.

Best regards   Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 05:29:54 pm »
Hi all, thanks for your thoughts and help.  With your comments I came to the conclusion it should still be a simple mechanical issue.  Removed the rear calliper again, and could see the pistons moving out, but immediately back in when I released the lever.  Seems the pistons were moving very freely, maybe because the pads need replacing, and the piston needs to be quite a long way out.  Re fitted and then used a plastic trim tool to apply a little friction to the piston to stop it pulling back, and seems to be sorted.

Re looked at the front, which was sort of working, but too much travel.  Close inspection found the tiny bleed nipple on the master cylinder.  Decided to try and bleed this, which did reveal a small amount of air here.  I'd not let any in, but the front has not felt brilliant for a while. Front now feels much better.

I need to do a test ride tomorrow but I'm optimistic I've got it sorted.
Jason

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 06:04:35 pm »
Has your front brake master cylinder got the yellow mesh foam insert fitted. I remember this was a non-recall to sort out air entering the master cylinder due to fluid sloshing about under hard braking but I can't remember when the non-recall was done  ::)

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 08:41:53 pm »
Yes it does.  Never seen anything like that before, so good to know why it's there.

Offline rich8000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 09:00:04 pm »
If your stuck I'm not too far away in Plymoth with a GS911, just need a sunny day to ride up :-)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 09:12:08 pm »
Yes it does.  Never seen anything like that before, so good to know why it's there.

A friend lost most of his braking effort riding home across mainland Europe due to frothing of the fluid. Don't know why it happened on the K and not on other bikes but the next thing we hear is the addition of the mini loofah in our master cylinders.

Offline Capt Howdy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2008 K1200R owned since new
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus exhaust AX-FIED Wilber’s shocks
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2024, 05:41:13 am »
It sounds as though you’ve introduced a lot of air into the system. Did you let the master cylinder run dry?  I agree that the abs unit won’t cause that problem. The gs911 allows you to replace the old fluid with new stuff.  If you don’t use it the old fluid remains. If you’re going to do your own work a gs911 is indispensable. Don’t get the cheap copy made in China. It’s loaded from a cd and can’t be updated.
The piston seals should have the pull the pistons back from the disc to stop rubbing
It’s so nice to be insane. No one asks you to explain