Author Topic: Additional cooling...  (Read 145 times)

Offline stevel

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Additional cooling...
« on: May 14, 2024, 11:38:14 am »
As has happened to many other folks, I've had problems with cooling on my K1300S, especially when in hot weather and slow riding in European towns with their 30kph speed limits - it's not long before the temp climbs and the fan kicks in - and when it gets that far I get quite nervous about it overheating.

My radiator is new (and yes, it was vacuum filled) coolant is the BMW stuff that must contain a fair amount of gold particles or something, given how much it costs. I don't think there's anything wrong with the bike, other than poor design. So I'm thinking about adding some extra cooling - a radiator would be tricky as there's nowhere to put one, but I think I can squeeze in a small additional oil cooler under the headlight somewhere. Has anyone tried this? And can any of you lot see any problems with doing this? I'm thinking it'll add some extra cooling capacity (not much, but I don't think it needs much extra capacity - a little bit extra should help, in any case), and it's still thermostatically controlled if I run the lines off the existing oil cooler.

Any thoughts before I waste approx £150 and a LOT of time?

Thanks!

Steve

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Additional cooling...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 01:07:03 pm »
Have a dig around Sutty's post on radiator correction.

This is a good place to start:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=4061.msg48811#msg48811

Or just PM him direct if you need more detail. He's very helpful.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 01:13:01 pm »
Unless your temp gauge hits the top of the screen and you get big red flashing warnings I don't think you should worry because the fan is on. My k12s reached the big red flashing stage once after a very protracted slow charity ride with a filthy old radiator. I stopped and10 mins later it had cooled enough to ride on. The fan comes on occasionally whether the radiator is clean or not on both my k12 and k13. I keep an eye on it and occasionally take it easy for a bit, but don't lose any sleep over it
If you want to add more oil cooling, this was a common mod for fj1200. The owners club found a radiator with more cooling capacity that would fit in the same space as the original. They put together a fitting kit with hoses and sold it as a DIY item. It worked well but the fj12 was air cooled and could get very hot. I've never seen anyone try doing it to a k
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 01:16:06 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 04:13:40 pm »
Seconded.

After cleaning mine last month it rides at 3 bars when pushing on, climbs to 4 on occasion and then in town the fan comes on and it hits 5 bars but the fan always brings it down. I'm happy with that performance.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 04:58:16 pm »
It's the time for the fan to stop running, as defined in the FAQs, that is the best judge of things to come.

ETA This was the advice from my dealer:

The way to test the radiator condition was to allow the bike to idle when hot to the point the fan came on. If the radiator is in good condition. the fan should switch back off within 30 seconds to a minute. Longer than that was a was a warning of issues to come and longer than 2 minutes was a sign of imminent doom
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 07:17:25 am by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Capt Howdy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2008 K1200R owned since new
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus exhaust AX-FIED Wilber’s shocks
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 11:23:19 pm »
I agree with FJ12. The fan coming on is not a problem. Mine comes on regularly in traffic in 35 deg C heat and can stay on for a while when stopped at lights. I find the fan comes on when the gauge goes up by 1 bar but doesn’t go up any further thanks to the fan. Keep an eye on your temperature gauge and you’ll soon get used to it. It also takes a while to drop back to normal when moving again.
It’s so nice to be insane. No one asks you to explain