Author Topic: Wobbly bits  (Read 12283 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Wobbly bits
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:28:48 pm »
This evening within 5 minutes the bike didn't start instantly, the computer display started changing itself when it wanted to and would not respond to button pressing, and then I found the handlebars were coming loose
The first I associate with being due for a services and who knows when the plugs were last changed, the latter I really really hope is due to the extreme soaking I got over the weekend, and the last i fink i'll take the train in the morning till i can get to a dealer as I'm 300 miles from home.
If any of these events signify trouble please reply. I've settled down with a bottle of red and a book while i try not to think of the consequences

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Wobbly bits
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 10:18:31 pm »
You could try giving it a damn good thrashing with something big and heavy; like Boris Johnson perhaps.

Brian (who promises that wasn't a political statement)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:24:25 pm »
It got a bit of a thrash at the weekend, and dragged through the wet sh*tty bits, i think its giving it back

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:02:52 am »
The computer display refusing to change - even the trip mileage - is something I've seen. Cure is the usual, shut down, instruments off, switch on and start in my experience.

Bike was doing this from new and they never could find the problem. It did happen on one check ride during a service, but when the mechanic got back to the garage, switched off and took it into the workshop, it fixed itself. No errors on the computerthingy either.

Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:07:13 am »
Ahh, computers, switch em off and switch em on again. That's what worries me when I go in one of these new fly by wire planes - "Tower,  we are at 30,000 feet and all the computers are playing up, what do we do?" "No problem flight 101 , just close down the whole plane and switch it on again" Click Click "Hallo flight 101 are you there .....Hallo..."

That's what I did last night btw. It came back but some of the readouts had zeroed themselves eg mpg, ave speed.

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 10:48:08 am »
Loose handlebars??? Wtf???

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 11:56:10 am »
Mmm that's pretty much what I said
They appear to be rocking up and down slightly. You can feel the little knock. I thought the lefthand switchgear was loose then realised the whole bar was moving

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:17:02 pm »
Loose handlebars??? Wtf???

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Brian (if only things were as simple as they were when he started riding, falling off, getting back on again etc.)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 01:30:35 pm »
Mmm that's pretty much what I said
They appear to be rocking up and down slightly. You can feel the little knock. I thought the lefthand switchgear was loose then realised the whole bar was moving

Christ Martin! I managed to a) miss this bit in your original post and b) never noticed it when I rode your bike.

It seems to me that you are suffering from the 'original rider putting it back to standard' syndrome! Guy buys bike, tarts it up by adding all sorts of stuff, decides to sell it and take all the stuff off to put on his next bike, but because he isn't riding this thing anymore he isn't too careful with what he does; result, takes off Helibars (other makes are avaliable) puts back on standard bars and forgets to tighten up the securing bolts properly.

That bit is easily fixed, it's only a couple of torn under the outer edges of the top yoke.

ON THE OTHER HAND, from memory your BMW badge was missing from the top yoke so it is totally possible that someone has had the yoke off (perhaps to change the immobiliser antenna) and then not done it up properly.

Brian (who just loves a bike that is haunted)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 01:32:03 pm »
Loose handlebars? that's a first in 11 years of involving with K bikes.
This can be the source of your issues with the computer and the switches since its a canbus bike. But again loose handlebars? are you sure there was no attempt to steal the bike during the night?
Its just not easy to explain such an issue.
Embrace the wind.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 01:35:24 pm »
I came in on the train this morning. I will probably ride carefully over to Vines on Friday and ask them to take a look. I hope it is just the securing bolts and not the steering head. The badge on top of the latter just popped off somewhere, I never saw it go.

The bike is locked in a secure basement by night and locked in front of the site security office during the day. I don't think anyone has had a go at it.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »
Something had broke there be careful. And let us know what was the issue, fm something like that, general recall issues began.
Embrace the wind.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 01:53:35 pm »
I came in on the train this morning. I will probably ride carefully over to Vines on Friday and ask them to take a look. I hope it is just the securing bolts and not the steering head. The badge on top of the latter just popped off somewhere, I never saw it go.

The bike is locked in a secure basement by night and locked in front of the site security office during the day. I don't think anyone has had a go at it.

The question is Martin, is it each 'bar' that is loose' (see bit about bolts above) or is it the top yoke, i.e. the whole assembly that is loose?

If you can't get it into Vines, you can call into mine on the way home on Friday and I'll see if it is the bars; they can be tightened up easily before you head off across the west country.

If it is the top yoke, I've never had mine off but I am sure it is just the big nut where the badge fell off. My surmising about the badge popping off is that someone had had it off and not put it back properly. The other reason folks remove it (apart from thieving its who are too idle to buy one) is to fit a Sat Nav mount into the bolt hole.

Brian (who thinks it needs taking to church rather than Vines cos it not only needs a big service but an exorcism to boot)

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 02:01:03 pm »
Will perform that exorcism foc asap.
Embrace the wind.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 02:10:04 pm »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Brian (who had forgotten we had a disciple of the great one in our midst)