Author Topic: Yoke/handlebar question  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
Yoke/handlebar question
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:56:58 am »
Hi, sat on bike today I noticed that the L/H handlebar (plastic plug end) sits flush with the yoke clamp whilst the R/H bar protrudes through by about 10mm is this normal or has somebody not refitted them correctly at some point, and if so which is correct?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Yoke/handlebar question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:14:03 am »
Not only is this not correct, I would have thought it was impossible to do! As a guide, the end of the bar should be flush with the plastic plug protruding, but it 'should' be impossible to get wrong!

I assume you have standard bars! Each bar is held in the clamp by two bolts which are located at the front of the clamp. The outer bolt of each side only passes through the clamp and does not 'locate' the bar. The inner bolt however, passes through a groove in the bar and unless 'butchered' will not go into position!

Also, further inboard and underneath the clamp is a large-headed, smaller bolt which screws up through an extention in the bar to fully locate it and most importantly, to stop the bar from rotating!

This link shows the assembly in the RealOEM parts list, although it appears to NOT show the large-headed, small screw (but it does show the bar extention through which it passes).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0508-EUR-08-2012-K40-BMW-K_1300_S_0508,0509_&diagId=32_1508

Helibars do NOT have this extention and rely on the groove in the bar being a 'straight' cut (rather than a radial groove) to prevent rotation.

If you have standard bars you should check that all three bolts are correctly fitted on both sides!

As an afterthought, are both plastic plugs present?

Brian (who has had his on and off a squillion times and can't see how to get them on 'wrong'  :o )
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:15:56 am by Phmode »

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 11:32:31 am »
Covered by Brian, they should be even.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 02:45:49 pm »
Thanks Brian, both plastic end caps are present, I was looking at what was involved thanks to your "paint the yoke black thread" when I noticed this abnomally.Bars are standard too so I will have to investigate what is going on here.....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:45:39 pm by Perbunan »

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 11:29:35 pm »
Well finally got around to investigating this, and found that the handlebar was seated correctly but for some reason the plastic cap is non original, and barely fits inside the bar at all so was sticking out a fair bit leading me to think the bar wasn't in the correct position. So a trip to the dealers beckons to get the correct bung as it now bugs me, anybody know the part number or how much for this?

Offline Pmorritt

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S 30 Anniversary Ed.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This n that+ other stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 11:59:51 pm »
Trim your present plug=0.   Buy a new one from BMW=£98
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:02:59 am by Pmorritt »
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is quite exhausting

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 08:18:23 am »
Best site to investigate parts is RealOEM.com,  there you'll find all parts of bike with parts number and current price.
There is one more site by a UK rep but that in not comming to mind now, the one gave you is the aproved one.
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 09:53:07 am »
Rainbow is the one you are thinking of Costas there is a sticky thread somewhere that was submitted by TomL I think

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 09:54:29 am »

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 10:49:09 am »

Looks like it's off a pushbike = bin

90p for 2...! We should all buy some at that price.

Found it, it's here
http://www.eurokclub.bike/index.php/topic,42.0.html

Thanks Rae most useful.

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 10:31:57 am »
Well my plug arrived today and what a surprise, it's the same as the one I'm trying to replace  >:(
Rechecked the part number on bag and it is the same as on Rainbow BMW parts diagram, so I guess they have changed the design meaning the one I thought was wrong is right and the one I thought was right is now wrong.....at least now I have a matching pair so I can replace the right one with the wrong one...... ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 11:59:13 am »
Weird or what! All makers change things, it's the buggeration factor, but to change something as 'insignificant' as the bar plug is the weirdest yet. It begs the question of why the bike had two different plugs to start with.

Perhaps the previous owner had a Hornig-type ball-mount fitted, lost the plug it replaces, then had to buy a new one when he took the ball-mount off to sell the bike!

Brian (who just loves the 'significance' of cosmetics we can't even see  ::) )

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 03:44:20 pm »
Yeah I'm guessing (hope) that was the reason, just glad I didn't prise the plug out and ruin it before the new one arrived. Incidentally the plug was 90p and postage £3  :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 06:52:14 pm »
The secret is to remove the bar-end weight and shove the plug out with long stick-like thingummy  8)

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 10:27:53 pm »
I was gonna try a corkscrew- good enough reason to open a bottle  :D