Author Topic: Extended carbon fibre front mudguard!  (Read 25252 times)

Offline lanerider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: All sorts added on and still adding on and on cant see me stopping
Re: Extended carbon fibre front mudguard!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 11:32:55 am »
eBay item number:151957947612  this will do the job ?
lanerider

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 12:20:01 pm »
eBay item number:151957947612  this will do the job ?
That one is for an R are they the same?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 02:47:40 pm »
No! I am sure the one for the R Sport is the same though, just not the base R.

Brian

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 06:37:06 pm »
Related to the post but focussing on the GT guard I have a Fenda Extenda on mine and all seems well, is this "Cracking" problem just to do with the S and R Models or more extensive please ?

JS
JS

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 06:47:08 pm »
It is certainly prevalent on the S and is partly to do with the shape of the mudguard at the top of the rear portion just behind the 'forks'.

There is an acute angle in the moulding and flex in the rear portion over rough roads causes stress concentrations which can result in small cracks, sometimes, as is the case with mine, only visible on the inside of the moulding.

Adding an extender only adds to the mass in the wrong place and this causes resonance; some owners (me included) could hear the chirruping of the extender as it 'caressed' the tyre and when mine fell off I sold it pronto!

Brian (...it fell off because he stuck it on with black silicone sealant which turned out to be 'water based', and he wondered how that was supposed to work  :o )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 08:28:37 pm »
GT has deferent front fender and does not face the same air pressure by design.
Embrace the wind.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 11:29:23 pm »
Brian/Costas, Thanks for the info, good luck with the new fenda, sounds a good find.

JS
JS

Offline Ian Whiffen

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 0 10 K1300S
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2016, 08:11:01 pm »
I would like one,
Nice day for it !

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 09:58:10 pm »
Noted Ian.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 10:39:08 pm »
In about 2010 my K1200S had radiator problems caused by blocked cooling air fins. This caused overheating in traffic and when pushing on. Removal of the radiator and cleaning would rectify the problem for about 6,000 miles and then it would have to be done again. In the end I bought a new radiator.

Last rear in the Picos I had problems with the bike overheating again and seeing that it was at about the same mileage as the original radiator I again suspected that the radiator was causing the problem. Turned out that the thermostat was faulty this time.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2016, 11:21:22 pm »
....which is why, being the anal cretin that I am, I always carry a new thermostat when on tour!

Brian (along with a new immobiliser antenna, replacement brake and clutch levers, GS-911, full tool kit, trolley jack, hoist, spare engine and gearbox, tyres, spare fuel [talking of which, ran out again on Saturday morning], etc. etc. etc. )

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »
I'll measure mine at the weekend.

Splatter test results.
Possibly useful if someone can repeat, but without an extender (mine is glued and screwed).

Summary:
- run in the country for 60 mins
- a mix of rural and A roads, some puddles, and fair bit of surface mud/grub
- down to 40mph for rural bits, some short bursts to three figures for the A roads (to try and emulate motorway speeds)
- all the centre ribs get wet except the very top two middle sections. The 3rd and 4th down are only slightly wet.
- even the top two marks showed grub, which I didn't notice prior to cleaning (but they didn't get wet on this run)
- not crap seems to be going through the honeycomb

Extender details:
- Infinity carbon with cut away sides to stop the tyre rubbing
- 13cm long down from OE mudguard
- 12cm wide (but difficult to measure accurately)
- 2cm away from the tyre at rest

Because I used a phone camera there's a bit of fish eye effect going on. The extender really is only 5" long.

Before 1:

Before 2:

After 30 mins:

After 60 mins:

Sides splattered:

Extender showing cut-away sides:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:29:17 pm by richtea »

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 07:38:41 pm »
When I had the pyramid plastics extenda fender had similar results, with only the upper part being protected, the bit is now resting at storage since it create cracs on OEM fender and did not provide acceptable protection. The fender we are looking for has to be designed longer than any existing with the extenda part attached.
I believe that is absolutely necessary for a new design fm scrach since new part should be a significanly longer fenda, only this way it will look good and provide accurate protection.
Embrace the wind.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 07:49:19 pm »
I'd like one please! :)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 10:04:49 pm »
I'd like one please! :)

Thought you might David. My new black K13 needs one too!