Author Topic: 2013 K1300s Franchised Dealer Service Costs (I'm sitting down already)?  (Read 16041 times)

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
Re: 2013 K1300s Franchised Dealer Service Costs (I'm sitting down already)?
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2018, 09:10:33 am »
Back to the original theme - IIRC the Extended Warrranty might require you to have the servicing done at a Motorrad Dealer. This is allowed under Block Exemption if the EW is something that you pay for (because you are entering a contract and the manufacturer usually makes it a condition).

So possibly the first 24 months may be different because you got that "free", but if you extend your extended warranty later (your £) I think you must go to Motorrad Dealer.

I can't be bothered to go and read the paperwork to check, but that is my understanding.

Glad they sorted your ball joint - could have been a painful Christmas!

A

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2018, 02:17:02 pm »
Back to the original theme - IIRC the Extended Warrranty might require you to have the servicing done at a Motorrad Dealer. This is allowed under Block Exemption if the EW is something that you pay for (because you are entering a contract and the manufacturer usually makes it a condition).

There's no exclusion I can see in warranty book. There is a mention of service history in the 'Making a claim' section, but no mention of non BMW exclusions that I can see:
The service history of the insured motorcycle and supporting invoices will be required by the repairing retailer at the time of the insured warranty claim.

They don't have to offer you warranty in the first place, of course, so if it's a bike they haven't seen go through a BMW dealer for, say, 5 years, they might say 'No thanks, we don't want your custom'.

But if you're already in warranty, then I can't see anything stopping you having it serviced by AN Other and still staying in warranty, other than the warranty may not be available to you the year after.
If AN Other is proven to have bodged something, then I suspect all bets are off at that point, though.

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2018, 05:51:54 pm »
IDNRC (I Did NOT Remember Correctly!) - Richtea you are correct.

I got off my *rse and read the policy booklet and servicing at other places is OK as long as you use genuine parts or equivalent, get an invoice and enter the details in the service booklet.

So basically ignore me.....

I'll get me coat.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2018, 06:41:58 pm »
I thought you were already banned  ???

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2019, 09:15:47 pm »
Enough of that. Back to me ball joints. The invoice provided on warranty, or even warrantee, if your Murican? for the replacement of top & bottom BJs was £276.68. I hope I notice the difference when we finally get out for a bimble, please make it soon....
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 09:03:25 pm »
New balljoints are better than new tyres. No meandering at low speed. No juddering under high speed braking.

Until your balljoints have headed south you've never lived dangerously... 8)

Offline Jcdenton999

• Newbie around here, just bought my K
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S (Akra, ESA, ABS)
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2019, 03:21:08 pm »
And that micro-encrapsulation is lethal stuff. The last time I bought BMW fairing bolts (back before the bulk buy) even they were covered in the shite. The bolts holding the front mudguard on are still a pig to get out despite throwing the originals away, cleaning out the threads in the wheel carrier and using non-threadlocked bolts. The one holding the left grab handle on, on the K13, was so tight it stripped the rivnut out of the subframe. The bloody stuff is worse than araldite... >:( >:( >:(

Regarding the subframe rivnut, how did you deal with that? i have one of those broken and bmw is telling me to change the whole subframe ... no thank you but my left handle is loose which isnt great and as I wanted to put the alurack for topcase i can't do that now

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2019, 04:08:02 pm »
And that micro-encrapsulation is lethal stuff. The last time I bought BMW fairing bolts (back before the bulk buy) even they were covered in the shite. The bolts holding the front mudguard on are still a pig to get out despite throwing the originals away, cleaning out the threads in the wheel carrier and using non-threadlocked bolts. The one holding the left grab handle on, on the K13, was so tight it stripped the rivnut out of the subframe. The bloody stuff is worse than araldite... >:( >:( >:(

Regarding the subframe rivnut, how did you deal with that? i have one of those broken and bmw is telling me to change the whole subframe ... no thank you but my left handle is loose which isnt great and as I wanted to put the alurack for topcase i can't do that now

Find someone with the kit then drill it out and fit a new one, best option.
Big pop rivet gun, but i only have up to M6 inserts.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2019, 10:39:09 pm »

I bought some stainless rivnuts, a rivnut setting tool and set to work. I had to use my Dremel to chop off the head of the bolt so I could remove the handle. I then tried to drill out the shank of the bolt but the rivnut just spun free.

I used a centre punch around the periphery of the rivnut to lock the rivnut and shank unit in place in the frame so I could drill it out. The shell of the drilled rivnut then fell into the frame and is still there, festering away as there was no way of getting it out past the rear-most rivnut.

Once it was clear, I could fit the new rivnut and re-fit a new bolt WITH COPASLIP ON THE THREADS.

Another way of doing it is to drill through the side of the sub-frame and insert a self-tapper to lock the rivnut while you unscrew the bolt.

Hope this helps. Brian

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2019, 09:43:54 am »
I have a K1300 GT recently bought from Balderstons BMW as a "Premium Used" motorcycle, with the BMW two - year warranty. It was serviced by them shortly after purchase (part of the deal) and my understanding from the Warranty Booklet is that servicing must be in accordance with BMW (UK) recommendations.

It does not seem to specify that a BMW Dealer must carry out the service, although it does say that proof of servicing may be required and a claim rejected if the fault is, in their opinion due to poor maintenance. As a BMW Dealer will be submitting any claims, it does seem to me that servicing through the network is probably a wise investment, at least whilst the warranty is in force.

I will anyway be returning to Balderstons as they have treated me very well and various other tasks that I asked them to carry out at my expense (fitting my own sat nav etc) were completed neatly and at modest cost.