Author Topic: Nothing to do with bikes... Drum brake problem.  (Read 4621 times)

Andym535

Re: Nothing to do with bikes... Drum brake problem.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 02:38:49 pm »
I've managed to sort out the tight spot on the drum, by backing off the adjusters, putting some emery cloth on top of one of the shoes then putting the drum back on and slowly winding the adjuster in a bit a time while spinning the drum. Took forever but seems to have worked.

Final question is on split pins with castellated nuts. Which way round is the 'right way' and why? Do you spread the legs of the pin around the nut, or along the shaft. I don't think it makes any difference so long as you have the right size split pin, but would be interested in opinions as it's something I've often wondered about.

Offline k1200r66

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200r,2006
  • Modifications and add-ons:: in progress
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 05:42:56 pm »
I alway done around the nuts.
and why,because my dad show me that way of doing it. :)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 06:45:00 pm »
The correct way to fit a split pin is with the legs bent in the same direction as the bolt. The head will then fit inside the slot in the nut. The side of the split pin is then bent over the end of the bolt and cut off so that the end does not protrude beyond the thread. The other side of the split pin is cut off and bent back over the flat of the nut so that the end is in line with the tightening face of the nut.

The head of the split pin will not fit in the slot in the nut if the ends are twisted around the nut.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 11:15:58 am »
The head of the split pin will not fit in the slot in the nut if the ends are twisted around the nut.

They will if you use very small split pins... :D

But I agree...however, trying to get very tight pins out of a nut when fitted with the head in the slot can be very annoying if corrosion has set in. Leaving the head of the pin out of the slot at least gives you something to get your side-cutters on to lever the shank out of the bolt.

Either way, as long as the legs are crossed, twisted, bent or buggered, the nut isn't going anywhere.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 11:29:54 am »
I must admit that the aesthetics of having the spilt pin positioned with the head "inside" the castelations are better but the advantages for ease of removal when the head "sticks out" easily out weights aesthetics for me.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 03:16:19 pm »
the head of the nail sits nice and flush on the nut and the other end can then be pointed whichever way you want.....smiley face smiley face !!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 09:12:27 pm »
 :D :D :D