Author Topic: PR3 tyres wearing out very quickly  (Read 14317 times)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: PR3 tyres wearing out very quickly
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 07:53:58 pm »
Taking everything at face value then it's a duff set or at the very least a duff front I've seen the same on a rear RoadSmart which is way too complicated to go into,if your prepared to dig in and make a effort very often what they do is give a credit or part credit,but don't go thinking they give free tyres away because that don't happen.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 07:45:44 pm »
I pinged an email off to Michelin and they replied thus:-

Thanks for getting in touch with Michelin, and choosing our tyres.  I'm sorry to hear that the rear tyre hasn't given you the kind of mileage that you have come to expect from our tyres.

Without seeing the tyres and examing the wear patterns and so on it's impossible to give you a definitive answer.

I don't know the full details of the differences in riding on that kind of touring trip compared to the riding you usually do at home, but having just returned from the same place (although we cheated and took the ferry to and from Santander) I do know that the riding environment in France and Spain as well as the temperatures are vastly different to our UK conditions which can have an effect on tyre life.  We were certainly much more heavily loaded than usual which also affects tyre life, even though we adapted our tyre pressures accordingly. 

There are many factors that can affect tyre longevity though, beyond the examples above.  If you would like us to examine your tyre to see what has affected yours, you can return it to the dealer that you purchased it from, if they cannot satisfactorily answer the question, or if there appears to be some fault with the tyre they can return it to us for a technical examination.  We do not make a charge for this.

I hope that this helps,   

To which I replied:-

Although the rear tyre is worn out, it is the front tyre that has worn the most especially on the right. I have attached a photo of the front tyre. This is after 3,000 miles on a touring holiday and not on a track day.

I bought the tyres off the internet from Tyreleader and fitted them myself. I always run the tyres at the correct pressure which is verified by my tyre pressure monitors. BMW recommend 2.5bar front and 2.9bar rear whatever the load.

Is there a way that the tyres can be collected from my home address and returned to you for examination?

They then pointed me at their terms and conditions which basically suggest that I have to deal with the company that supplied the tyres.

I bought the tyres from Tyreleader and they have no facilities for contacting them let alone complaining about duff goods or returning duff goods.

They were such a good price that I even ordered another set for stock which I have now had to fit because of the rapid wear.

Will I use Tyreleader in the future?

Will I pursue my complaint? I really cannot be bothered!

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 09:25:08 pm »
What Michelin and the other manufacturers don't tell you that if they find the tyre ok in their opinion they give you a week to collect at your expense or they'll scrap it.

The irony I've seen tyres completely worn out and customers have got a 100% credit,the opposite I've seen a part worn tyre that they have turned down flat.

What Tom has encountered is the down side to going outside the system and saving money and in the last two weeks have come across the same story with a car owner in fact the same car tyre outlet now refuses to fit tyres that they haven't supplied because of having a situation like this happening.

The bottom line no one is making any money as the tyre goes down the food chain that includes the manufacturer so one wants to carry the can.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 10:53:37 pm »
IMHO. We have to be very careful and to choose a tyre firer that offers tyres at a higher price but can warranty that the product is first quality . Cause buying fm a retailer usually means that we assumed the risk  the quality is questionable . That can easily explain a difference in price. I'm not claiming that it's a different product only that the quality offered is not the same. And that is a comerse rule applied to all products. You pay what you get. Or you get what you pay.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 11:08:46 pm »
Strange then that my same make and model tyres fitted almost exactly to the day at the same time, to the same make and model of bike, loaded for the same trip and having ridden the same roads at the same time and in the same conditions, are nowhere near 1/2 worn and with absolutely no 'track day' wear patters of the rubber balling up and peeling off!

I'd certainly send them the photos (and mine as a direct comparison) and tell them that your supplier has no customer contact or complaints facility for you to interact with.

Brian (who thinks it has to be worth a second pass with Michelin)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 08:54:23 am »
We all ride K12/13's made by the same company on the the same production lines but they don't all run the same do they ::)

Tyres sales and supply are going through a difficult time,what I can say is normal tyre suppliers would go bust trying operate on the profit margin that Tyre Leader do,they really are into the stack e'm high(very) and sell e'm cheap(very) but when things go wrong your whistling Dixie because no bugger is making anything out of the job including the people who make them.

The choice and solution to the problem is ours,you want to pay a decent price you'll get a decent service.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 09:48:10 am »
...but as you said yourself Chris, there is something very wrong with Tom's front tyre that most definitely wasn't caused by stacking them high nor by selling them cheap and if the retailer won't talk to you then the maker should.

Brian (who wonders if anyone else has had this issue or if it was just caused be my weeing all over Tom's tyres every night in Spain  8) )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 10:32:13 am »
Took the matter with pics to the big local Michelin dealer. I met that man two years ago and we had an argument since I was not excepting tyres made in Romania and was asking that my tyres would be a container imported fm Spain or France, something that never happen. Nevertheless he remembered me and was keen to assist me , especially after I told him that need new tyres fm my bike too.
He looked at pics and stated that tyres deferential specs are not the cause of such rapid deterioration. Poor storage in conditions with temps at the storage well exceeding 30 degrees are the cause. He continued demonstrating to me at the basement some 5 meters below earth the way tyres should be stored. He said that deterioration in one side is also a clear indicator that this side of tyre was facing up towards some heat source, that could well be direct sun or a some other light.
He added that in Spain exists Michelin’s OTR test grounds where all tyres even the ones made at factory no 25 the state of the art recently built in USA are sent for evaluation.
In cases like this only an authorized retailer would have taken some action, since a written complain would effect his relation with company and strip him from the representation rights, he regrets by saying that new tyres need to be fitted in bike and the chances for any kind of reimbursement are to be consider minimum to none existing.   
Embrace the wind.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 11:34:20 am »
if the retailer won't talk to you then the maker should.

Why should they?? If you choose to do a high wire act without the safety net and fall off no good complaining that there wasn't one.

Have a look at how much Tyre Leader turned over in 2014  :o they even hold the manufacturers to ransom because they buy everything they make.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 02:41:31 pm »
Well, we shall see then, Ive bought a Front Conti TA2 from tyre leader and have yet to put it on, the TA2 on the bike has done nigh on 10K miles, the most I have ever got from a tyre on any bike I can think of. To be honest its not just money with me, the tyre was £60 from Tyre Leader, I could have had one fitted for £80, but its a 60 mile round trip so its just more convenient, but If i find mine wearing out double quick I'll be back up the FoD to Five Acres. I agree with Chris really in that if you go off piste so to speak you have to take the hit. Im back to doing me own servicing on the GS and I know I'll have to lump it if something breaks now.
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 05:34:18 pm »
I don't agree at all. Sale of Goods Act and fitness for purpose come in and a manufacturer can't shirk that responsibility. Tyreleader didn't make the tyre, one assumes Michelin did; ergo sum, Michelin take the hit.

Brian (who would be off down to see the lovely young thing at Trading Standards, toot sweet  ::) )

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 05:56:07 pm »
Hence the golden rule never let retail anywhere near the trade price because they'll want all the plus's and non of the minus's.

But it would be fun to see the reaction of trading standards to a German company never mind trying to prove it's sub standard,but not so much fun when Tyre Leader ruin the UK tyre trade because it's already started.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 11:10:19 pm »
I don't agree at all. Sale of Goods Act and fitness for purpose come in and a manufacturer can't shirk that responsibility. Tyreleader didn't make the tyre, one assumes Michelin did; ergo sum, Michelin take the hit.

Brian (who would be off down to see the lovely young thing at Trading Standards, toot sweet  ::) )

Your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer, the seller has that contract.

I think there should be rules regarding contact addresses and phone numbers being mandatory on web sites.
If you have the address at least you can confront them personally if a phone call doesn't work.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 06:52:36 am »
Your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer, the seller has that contract.

I think there should be rules regarding contact addresses and phone numbers being mandatory on web sites.
If you have the address at least you can confront them personally if a phone call doesn't work.

As BMW so kindly pointed out to me back in January when the gearbox failed and I sent BMW HO an email, yep, nothing to do with us we just made it
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Rusty-pie

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 11:18:04 am »
As correctly stated, according to the Sale and supply of goods to consumer regulation, your contract of purchase is with the vendor and not the manufacturer of the goods, hence is the seller that is responsible for the goods being of satisfactory quality.
Tyre leader contacts page has a facility to send a complaint about tyre quality, I assume you have tried this already?
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/contact
Having said this, I am surprised that Michelin are not interested in listening to you, I would have thought that they would have been keen on keeping a customer happy as this a relatively inexpensive but effective way of getting good publicity, and maybe help you out as a goodwill gesture even if they are not legally bound, but apparently this is not the case!
If you have paid for your tyres with a credit card (not debit card), then the consumer credit act comes into play too, and this has been recently extended to cover purchases made from websites abroad. The principle is that when buying on credit (which includes credit cards), the lender is responsible for the quality of the goods as much as the seller. Usually banks are not as stringent as sellers in disputing complaints and often pay out without too much fuss rather than having to go to court, if you give them sufficient evidence that the goods are not of satisfactory quality and that you have done your best to try to resolve the issue with the seller in an amicable way to no avail. It's not so easy in this case to prove the unsatisfactorily quality compared to a pair of shoes that falls apart after a week, but it may be worth a try. I would definitely do it. I hope this help.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:10:55 pm by Rusty-pie »