Author Topic: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble  (Read 41813 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2021, 03:29:05 pm »
Ah! First time I went up Cader Idris we had one fly past below us. Was an amazing sight!  :winkthumbs:
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2021, 04:38:53 pm »
I once had a close encounter with a Typhoon on the A470 just outside of Dolgellau, frightened the c*$p out of me  >:(

I used to be quite inured to the close encounters but down the years it has turned more to manured. Of course, back in my day you heard them a long time before they got to you, apart from the Lightnings but they were nearly always going straight up or coming in with no engines...

Modern beasties are on you before you know it.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2021, 04:43:29 pm »
Ah! First time I went up Cader Idris we had one fly past below us. Was an amazing sight!  :winkthumbs:

If you watch the various vids you will see the RAF are considerably lower than their US counterparts, although the horrendous Ospreys they operate for both country's special forces come over my place on the way into the Loop at not much above propeller radius height and I know they have enormous props, but even so. And a Chinook went over last hear so low I could literally feel his prop wash in my garden. I would love to watch that mad bastard in The Loop...and pee on him as went by  :adolf:

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2021, 05:11:04 pm »
Ah yes, I have chinooks come over here entirely too often. Not as low as yours by the sounds of it, but I definitely feel as well as hear them! I recall seeing a couple of Osprey actually, but i'm not sure if that was here or somewhere else. Probably was here, there's an airfield north a bit, and this seems a main road for a lot of RAF traffic. Maybe Bensons for beds is where they're going.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2021, 06:04:51 pm »
If you watch the various vids you will see the RAF are considerably lower than their US counterparts, although ...

They play a home match, don't they. However, apart from over water, I hardly ever saw the wingman even touch the 250 ft level, to be honest. Nothing undiscoverable for any E-3A. Makes me think of some 30 years ago ...

<snip>
ATC controller to AWACS Air Defence controller : "Your aircraft are expected on your freak within a couple of minutes, currently taxying at XXX AirForce Base, squawking nnnn."
AWACS Air Defence Controller to ATC controller : "Contact"
</snip>

At the time, this sounded unimaginable to me (being used to control with ground radar inputs, i.e. blind below anything close to 1000 feet even at closer ranges)

;D

Makes me think of a Mirage pilot stating : "Low level ? Anything above 100 feet, and you're a dead guy, eh !".
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2021, 11:12:53 am »
I've added you in the top post, Ady. Will be good to see you again.

I have the leave booked off work now Rich :thumbsup:
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2021, 11:15:00 am »
Let us know when you have contacted the pub Ady.

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2021, 05:10:24 pm »
Let us know when you have contacted the pub Ady.

I have a single room reserved and confirmed by email Rae :thumbsup:
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2021, 05:48:47 pm »
Excellent news. I think Rae has already nipped in there and updated your status in the first post. Thanks Rae!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2021, 09:02:46 pm »
OK folks. There are 17 rooms left in The Neuadd Arms. Let's see if we can get a full house. As it were  :)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2021, 09:47:10 pm »
I have now confirmed (as far as we can whilst in lockdown) the booking for the 6 rooms at Bryncelyn. No deposits needed and obviously bookings movable if needed.

Lil has also let me know that a 7th room has become available at Bryncelyn. This room is to the same standard as the rest of the rooms apart from being in the loft and not having an en-suite bathroom.

This room was part of the owner's apartment, has a corner window overlooking the village square, a King Size bed that they can't get down from the loft and a private bathroom along the corridor.

So, if anyone else want to join us, there is room at Bryncelyn.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2021, 10:37:07 pm »
Sounds like a sniper's paradise.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2021, 05:54:38 pm »
It all depends on what Wales decides.

So, if they are all free the routes will be on, but...

If UK hasn't given us total freedom to wander then we may not be able to get there.

If Wales isn't open we are stuffed. In June at any rate.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2021, 08:42:33 pm »
Yup, true.
I'm pretty sure both countries roads will be open to ride.
And in terms of food and drink it should be OK - as long as it's outside. In the fine Welsh weather.  8)

I think it's just down to whether hotels and B&Bs are allowed to cater for non-essential travel.

With their very sensible 5 week cycles, they're aiming at the 21st June target for a full unlock, but we're slightly earlier.
If we travel / mix in sets of 6 it might still be possible.
I feel it's more like 60/40 than 50/50 now. But I'm the eternal optimist. Yeah, right.  ::)