Author Topic: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble  (Read 41807 times)

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
Re: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2021, 05:15:42 pm »
Will do Brian  8)
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2021, 06:21:32 pm »
Now that the dates are fixed (more or less, at least), I've decided to join you. So I'd be the first to stay at the Neuadd Arms hotel, hoping I'll not be the only one there. Just to know, Richard : I intended to book myself ? The lady of the house (I emailed her) is willing to take my reservation, but I didn't reserve yet, not knowing your intentions for the rest of the bookings.

Which makes me have to check now which papers I'll need by then : does anyone know if a EU- ID card will still be valid, or will I need a "real" international passport by then ?

Hello Phillippe
                          I've just emailed the Nueradd Arms about a room so there will be two of us at least....Ady
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2021, 06:52:04 pm »
Great to have you onboard Ade!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2021, 07:17:48 pm »
Be great to see you, the gang and a few new faces Matt, last year was the first year I could do the whole trip then it gets kyboshed by a lab technician the other side of the world, hey no fingers crossed for this one mate.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2021, 07:33:30 pm »
Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me mate. It came from bats. So I've told Waitrose not to send me anymore Chinese bats until further notice.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2021, 09:54:34 pm »
Hello Phillippe
                          I've just emailed the Nueradd Arms about a room so there will be two of us at least....Ady

Hello, Ady, thanks for keeping me company  :D

I'm really longing to go ride after this year full of near-isolation. Let's hope everything will be OK by then... Just to be sure ... getting into first gear is pushing down, and all the rest up, isn't it ?
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2021, 10:24:09 pm »
Hi Philippe,

If you want to stay on after (or even arrive before) and do some more miles in the area, letme know. I'm fairly local and also want to spend more time on the roads.

Best regards, Brian

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2021, 07:57:55 am »
Heh heh this is going to be a good trip ;D

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2021, 08:34:07 am »
If you want to stay on after (or even arrive before) and do some more miles in the area, letme know. I'm fairly local and also want to spend more time on the roads.

Well, Brian, I would consider lenghtening the trip by one day after the wramble (not before), and let the weather forecast of that moment play in the decision too (not much fun to ride an extra day in pouring rain either). On the other hand, that complicates the ferry arrangements. Maybe we can wait a little longer to decide, and just remember the idea for the moment.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2021, 05:08:51 pm »
OK, route fun!
Many thanks to Rae for some diligent tidying of my initial attempts.

I've put these in Google Maps to give you a flavour of the suggested routes.
That means they're approximate. (TomTom and Garmin versions will be be made available later.)
Google timings are also slightly optmistic I suspect, for wiggly Wales. It also doesn't include stop times - coffee, lunch, afternoon tea & scones. Yum.

Tap on a map to see it in Google Maps.

Route 1: Brecons Zig-zag
This is based on one of TomK1300S' excellent routes - thanks Tom!
It covers the Brecons - up down, left right, all over the place. Depending on the weather, there may be a few fag/photo stops added.
Mostly A & B roads. (The final part should obviously return back to Llantrwyd, but Google isn't having it.)

Route 2: Mid-Wales Loop
Mid-Wales, including an optional stop at the Centre for Alternative Technology.
Mostly main roads, with a bit of single track at the top of the loop near Lake Vrynwy.

Route 3: Elan Valley (optional half-day)
A half-day route to the lakes and dams of Elan Valley - this is a sight-seeing route. Dams, dams and more dams.
A lot of single track roads, so potentially quite challenging. Also possibly tourist traffic on this particular route

Route 4 To he Sea (optional half-day)
A half-day route to the sea. Living in the middle of the country I only get to see the sea about once a year - so it's purely to amuse me. But why not!
Again a lot of single track, so potentially quite challenging.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:31:31 pm by richtea »

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2021, 05:41:24 pm »
Well that's the first day sorted Rich  ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2021, 07:20:19 pm »
Wicked! I will look in detail shortly. Route 1, goes just to the east of a "German village" which some army or other used/use to train invading east Germany. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure we can't get in :(. There's also a rifle range I believe. Bout 5 miles due south and a bit left of where we stay.

OK.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2021, 07:26:24 pm »
Wicked! I will look in detail shortly. Route 1, goes just to the east of a "German village" which some army or other used/use to train invading east Germany. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure we can't get in :(. There's also a rifle range I believe. Bout 5 miles due south and a bit left of where we stay.

OK.

We're open to suggestions for places to stop. BMWs in the German village sounds a fine photo op. ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:38:30 pm by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2021, 07:42:18 pm »
The routes as they are, are over 8 hours, if you add in more stops you should consider shortening the routes.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2021, 09:36:45 pm »
Quite right, Rae. I'll adjust it down if there are more stops.
Your slightly shorter Brecons one may well come into play when we get to the final routes.