Author Topic: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble  (Read 41811 times)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
Re: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 07:58:18 am »
If the covid situation and the dates are OK, I may join you. But don't mark me as "possible" just yet, as I think there's still way too many uncertainties for the moment (especially when coming from abroad).

OTOH just saying : if, like Rae indicates, you keep the traditional first monday of June (i.e. June 7th) as the start evening, you risk interfering with the Old Gits' trip (if that's something you'd take into account).
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 11:53:56 am »
You'd be most welcome. Again!

Clashing with the Old Gits metaphorically speaking, isn't a real concern, two different demographics.

As to Chris's optimism ( :) ), this is a moveable feast.

The whole thing has a number of risks associated with it...

The whole country might still be in lockdown...
We might all be dead...
The whole country could be staycationing with no room in any hotels, anywhere...
The roads could be clogged solid with eejits who haven't driven for more than a year...etc. etc.

It is easier to move a planned date than not have a planned date at all.

And to add to Richard's comments on group riding I would just add that none of us are hooligans on rice rockets; you need the Old Gits trip for that  :) :) :) :) No, seriously, like them, we are all experienced riders who like to make progress safely.

Using a single base also means less time pressure to 'get somewhere' you have booked into so if you need to drop off the group for a 'rest' or a 'thrash' then it is easy to pick the group up again.

And, as has been known to happen in wild Wales, if it hisses down, you may find me in the bar getting high on coffee rather than getting soaked out there trying to get to my bed for the night 8)

The specifics of the source of some of the routes are...

Tom's routes (and we know how he likes his routes)

'Biker's Britain'. A book published by the AA containing the best roads in the UK provided by readers of RiDE magazine and all ridden and tested by Simon Weir, their then deputy editor.

'Great Riding Routes', a booklet published by Fast Bikes magazine with routes sourced as above.

Brian's Brain. It ain't what it used to be, but I've been heading into mid-Wales for years and haven't found a bad road yet and have ridden and forgotten most of the ones we will be using. There are one or two 'little horrors' out in the badlands which we need to avoid. Tom and Ron and I meandered down one I have 'driven' in summer when it was heavenly. On the K's in wet weather, with mud and gravel strewn all over the damn place from the logging lorries, the road to and from the dam was awful with more rear (and one or two front) wheel slides than is good for one's under garments. And that was at not much above walking pace. Matt can go and ride that one for us all  :)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 04:00:18 pm »
Haha I was about to say shall I get the Anakee tyres fitted! :p (block tyre)

Your dam tail reminded me of a trip in my friend's Favorit to try and get to a dam near Aber in the snow. Got half way, turned the car round on some single track road with steep drop and steep climb either side. Drove back and he got it sideways and thankfully lodged into the snow on the steep climb side! Cue obligatory farmer and that was in the days when we carried cash luckily!

Lovely place in the bone dry though. But maybe not on 2 wheels even then.

How are your meat tenderisers Bri?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 04:25:21 pm »
Thanks to Rich and Brian for stepping up.  Herding cats springs to mind.

I am interested in joining you but have a couple of questions before committing too much.  I'm a bit nervous of group riding, having done very little over the years.  What sort of pace do you run at?  June should be okay for me, but work commitments and lack of holiday means at least adjoining a weekend is better, but maybe that doesn't work for everyone else, do you have any feel for which nights you would be looking to book? 

I've never ridden in Wales, but have always wanted to.  The single hotel location and loops out works really well for me and I am sure you can find some belting roads around mid Wales

Jason

A comment on the pace of group riding and the implication that things might be a little quick. The first is obvious. Never ever ride at a pace you are uncomfortable with or don't feel safe at. Stuff everyone else in the group. Your pace is your pace is your pace!

The second is probably less obvious. Almost every group I have ever ridden with ends up going slower than even the slowest rider would have done on their own. That's because the slowest rider dictates the group pace but is slowed up because they need to make sure they know what the person in front and the person behind is doing. Traffic becomes a nightmare because you now need to get a number of bikes past instead of just one. There's always someone who wants to stop and check something, talk about something, rearrange something etc.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 04:26:51 pm »

Clashing with the Old Gits metaphorically speaking, isn't a real concern, two different demographics.

There are at least two on here who will be on the Old Gits trip.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Online Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 06:22:28 pm »
Thanks to all for easing my group riding concerns.  40-50 mph average sounds like it is my comfort range, and I'm glad to her that 30 in 30 limits is also followed.  I therefore feel I can fit in pretty well, I'm not a slouch, but having seen the pace some groups ride at, when they come flying past, it is probably best to check.  I'm grown up enough to ride at my own pace, but am aware that if I'm too slow, then I'm potentially spoiling others ride as well.

Thanks for putting me down as a possible, if work allows, I'll be there.

Jason
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 06:38:41 pm »

It can be done : from the Brecon Beacons to Portsmouth is about a 3 hour's ride : arrive at 17:00 o'clock at the hotel from the ride, and head to Portsmouth to be there before 22:15, take 21:15 to be safe enough. I don't know if I myself would do it. I may not be enough of a die hard  ???
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 01:39:12 pm »

Still two different demographics David. No-one who was considering the Pecos for a week would be interested in cancelling for three days in mid-Wales as the alternative. Perhaps some die-hards would do both if there were no clash.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 02:51:27 pm »

Still two different demographics David. No-one who was considering the Pecos for a week would be interested in cancelling for three days in mid-Wales as the alternative. Perhaps some die-hards would do both if there were no clash.

I'm not sure I agree with your definition of demographics but I agree that anyone signed up for Northern Spain is unlikely to cancel for Wales, even given the "strange times" we find ourselves in.

I think the  point being made was to see if there was a "no clash" option.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 03:01:46 pm »
Hang on, I  thought the Wrinklies was for lizard people? That's why I sign up for this one after you-know-who told me to stop flying over the palace house.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 04:55:42 pm »
I think the  point being made was to see if there was a "no clash" option.

Ah - apologies for the clash of dates, David.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I was trying to pick as close to our traditional '1st full week in June' slot, but that's not available for some members (i.e. me - due to previously arranged engagements being pushed into 2021).

We also have issues if we leave it to JulyAugust - and school holidays are obscenely expensive. So it's probably going to be mid-June (14th), or - driven by Covid - some later date.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 06:16:55 pm »
So is that a semi-fixed date 14th to 16th june, with any Covid restrictions at the time, and do we have any of the routes to look over yet.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 06:43:32 pm »
Correct, Tom. Semi-fixed is an excellent way of describing it. That's as good as it gets during these odd times.
Brian will be adding some hotel details very soon.
I will follow up with some routes  - hopefully in the next day or three. One will be familiar to you.  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 06:59:21 pm »
One will be familiar to you.  ;D

So you have to ride it backwards.

And blindfolded.

With your throttle hand tied behind your back.

And you'll still be in the bar before I will.

So the brewed-on-the-premises beer is on you... :)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 07:00:37 pm »
What was this meant to be?  :) :) :) :)

After six amazing years of the Wrinklies Run, this year it is time for something a little different.

[NO - just a copy/paste quote cockup!]

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:53:12 pm by richtea »