Author Topic: PR5 Pressures  (Read 6711 times)

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
PR5 Pressures
« on: September 14, 2020, 10:57:01 am »
Had some PR5's fitted to the K1300 at the weekend, let shop set the pressures. They feel very neutral and bike rolls nicely on them. Still scrubbing in so no other feedback yet. Unlike Metzeler I can't find any recommended pressure settings for the K in the Michelin catalogue, only in the owners handbook. So, does anyone have any tried and tested pressure settings for PR5's.  I ride everyday in all weathers, mainly solo and without luggage. Like a good front end feel and not afraid to push in the wet.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: PR5 Pressures
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 11:23:40 am »
Do you ride with a smile or a grimace? I think that has the biggest impact :D.

I have only my recollection that tyre pressures are as tyre pressures do, stop me if I get too technical (hashtag Blackadder!).

I thought all tyres were built to run at the pressures most manufacturers recommend, otherwise there are just too many moving parts, har. But i'm probably being naive.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 11:25:31 am »
When I had the PR5s on my Motorsport (also mostly solo riding in all weathers with no luggage) I just used handbook recommended presuures. I did have a play around both up and down slightly but there was no noticeable improvement so returned to standard. The PR5s (and all the Michelin PR tyres) don't turn in as quickly as the Mettzler Roadtec 01s or feel as "sporty". However, the PR5s are far less prone to reacting to white lines and over banding. Ultimate grip/lean is pretty much the same on both even if the PR5s feel slightly more neutral.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 03:39:56 pm »
Had some PR5's fitted to the K1300 at the weekend, let shop set the pressures. They feel very neutral and bike rolls nicely on them. Still scrubbing in so no other feedback yet. Unlike Metzeler I can't find any recommended pressure settings for the K in the Michelin catalogue, only in the owners handbook. So, does anyone have any tried and tested pressure settings for PR5's.  I ride everyday in all weathers, mainly solo and without luggage. Like a good front end feel and not afraid to push in the wet.

I ride mainly two up and run 36/42 on just about everything, includes both Road 5’s and RS Power, yes you’ll get away with running less in both wheels just a case of what works for you.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 06:56:26 pm »
Also running 36/42 on my K1300S motorsport but they haven't been on long. On my k1200s I also run 36/42and have found that the front end will start going off if I lose as little as 2psi over the bumps. The rear is less sensitive to loss of pressure, worst case plodding down the motorway with a slow puncture that the slime couldnt hold above about 35psi.  I haven't tried higher pressures.

Offline MrAliT

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 k1300s
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:13:31 am »
I'm on PR5s at the moment and upped the pressure a bit from fitted as they felt a bit dead. Currently running 2.6 bar front and 3.0 on the rear which feels better without getting twitchy

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 08:32:28 am »

I ride mainly two up and run 36/42 on just about everything, includes both Road 5’s and RS Power, yes you’ll get away with running less in both wheels just a case of what works for you.

While most bikes/tyres will work with these pressures, not all do. My H2 SX needs 42/42. That's the most I've ever put in a front tyre but it's noticeable if the front drops below about 40.

When I fitted a PR4 (non-GT) to my K1300S the man at Michelin said it needed between 44 and 46. That's because the PR4 has a softer sidewall than most (hence the GT version) and the weight of a solo K1300S was towards the upper limit recommended for the non=GT PR4
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 12:24:44 pm »
36/42 works for me.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 12:40:07 pm »
Blimey Tim where have you been  :) :) :)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 12:40:31 pm »
36/42 works for me.

2.5; 2/9. Win, same.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 01:49:11 pm »
Blimey Tim where have you been  :) :) :)

Who's Tim?  ::)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 01:55:19 pm »
Oops Tom  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 02:35:15 pm »
We haven't seen Tim for many a year.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 03:34:58 pm »
We haven't seen Tim for many a year.

I miss Tim :'(

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 03:42:27 pm »
Strangely enough just got off the phone too him on our weekly catch up, his 1290KTM is still going like a good’un.