Author Topic: Changing instrument cluster units  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
Changing instrument cluster units
« on: May 23, 2017, 02:42:52 pm »
I've been having a play with the GS911 after servicing the bike (Takes more oil then my daughters Yaris 1.5 T-Sport and the oil filter is bigger).
I reset the service counter and updated the time and date to my laptop.
It gives me the option to change the TPM from Bar to PSI and economy to UK mpg etc.. If i go through and change them it still shows it in metric. I tried changing the ambient air temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit and that worked ok, so I'm not quite sure why I can't have the the tyres pressures in English.

I'm doing this on a MacBook but i can't see that making any difference

Any ideas please

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Changing instrument cluster units
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 06:55:41 pm »
You can try the GS-911 user forum....

http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php?board=41.0

....although it is rather sparsely populated and not very good at actually answering queries!

As for the amount of oil, your daughter's Yaris isn't dry-sumped (or rather damp-sumped as Stormin47 found out to his chagrin)  ;D

More oil equals better cooling and less wear on both the oil and the motor but of course, you knew that to begin with  8)

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 07:57:46 pm »
I did but thanks Brian.

Here's one for you, reading repROM it says remove the top hose from the oil tank and lower it to drain the tank.
Now I should say at this point i did use my vacuum pump to remove the oil (about 3 litres) from the tank but i thought i would try and lower the pipe to allow it to drain the last drops, but couldn't get the pipe past the tank because of the frame.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 10:40:47 pm »
Well, Tom will be along shortly but he too uses a vacuum wotsit.

I think if you try, it 'might' go behind the frame, wot with it being flexible and all.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:10:33 pm »
I changed my oil yesterday and passed the tube between the frame and tank to drain into an oil tray. Can't be bothered to use the vacuum suction device because I then have to clean it properly to vacuum fill the coolant system.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 06:38:49 am »

I think if you try, it 'might' go behind the frame, wot with it being flexible and all.
Admittedly i didn't try very hard but i just couldn't see a gap.

I changed my oil yesterday and passed the tube between the frame and tank to drain into an oil tray. Can't be bothered to use the vacuum suction device because I then have to clean it properly to vacuum fill the coolant system.
If you're using it to vacuum it doesn't really matter what's in it does it..?
I use mine for bleeding the brakes on the car, cleaning up generator drip trays which contain fuel, oil and coolant as well as oil changes

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:14:39 pm »
Well it was the MacBook air, loaded it all into our old Win7 HP lappy after it finally started up and used the USB to communicate with the bike. I noticed a lot more options were available and now the units have changed on the cluster..

So it would appear using the iPhone or Mac works for minor things like service resets and fault reading and major alterations require a Windows device  ::)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 12:11:50 am »

I use mine for bleeding the brakes on the car, cleaning up generator drip trays which contain fuel, oil and coolant as well as oil changes
It does matter because much of the coolant ends up in the vacuum container.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 07:13:00 am »

It does matter because much of the coolant ends up in the vacuum container.
Apologies I didn't realise you use it that way.
I would use a vacuum pump when it comes to doing mine so I would have to be able to valve off the pump once a suitable vacuum was reached