Author Topic: Chicken strips...  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Chicken strips...
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:24:02 pm »
You want chicken strips...

...how's them for chicken strips?

And talking about jolley tracks and axle stands...

..how's that for a balancing act?

£255 fitted to loose wheels and £30 back from Michelin for my pains  ;D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: Chicken strips...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:18:45 pm »
Managed to ride off the edge of my roadtec this morning on a roundabout, brief moment of sphincter exercise before grip was restored

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:35:09 pm »
Nice rubber, Please report back when you have given them a proper seeing to  :P

The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 12:43:44 am »
Oh, you can read my rants about PR4's elsewhere in here Kim.

I loved the PR3's on my K12S, great grip dry and particularly wet and never had a moment's doubt about them. Also 7-8k easily.

Then Michelin decided to stop making them in the 55 size but that didn't bother me, the 12 was 50.

I tried a set of 4's when I couldn't get 3's in time for a trip and really didn't get on with them and went back to 3's. The 4's really didn't like following broken tarmac joins, it makes them tram-line badly.

They are just as good as the 3's in the grip department though and in terms of longevity.

Now I have the K13S of course and I am cursing Michelin for their decision. This will be the first time I have ridden the 4's on a 13 apart perhaps from a day on David's bike in Spain. Can't remember if he was on 4's for that trip.

So, will the 4 suit the 13 better than it suited the 12?

I can virtually guarantee that you will love them on your K12S! If you like a confidence inspiring tyre, the 3 or 4 is up there.

Coully

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 04:09:26 pm »
love PR3s+ 4s
Had bridgestones on my vfr800 when i 1st got it and in the wet had zero confidence on them, this was after moving on my vfr750 with PR3s on it. Superb in the wet for confidence. Actually ended up  getting close to 13,000 miles out of them, just above the wear limit when i got them changed  ;D

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:06:11 pm »
How much are you fellows paying for rear tyres and for what tyre?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 09:41:20 am »
Hello Ron, I can't say what the rear cost as a single tyre, but a pair of Metz Roadtec 01 (with heavyweight rear) were £295 fitted, two weeks back.
However, I got £30 vouchers back, so effectively £265 fitted.

I'm guessing just a rear might be 55-60% of that, so maybe £165-175 fitted without vouchers.

I also can't say if they're better/worse than other tyres yet, but my 'trusted' tyre, Angel GT A, would have been £309, which would make an Angel rear about £170-185 fitted.

I suspect these are 'normal' / high prices, but I completely trust the place (https://www.wheelhousetyres.co.uk/), hence I'm happy to spend a little more.
Been going there for 25-30 years, man & boy, etc.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:20:33 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 11:00:40 am »
...and although it adds nothing to the conversation about price, Wheelhouse are excellent.

I've only used them once when my 1987 Honda CBR1000 came out of the deep freeze in 2011 with 8,000 miles on the clock and I needed a new set of 'old' tyres for it. Wheelhouse were about the only place with a choice in stock and so, the day after it passed its first ever MoT(!) I rode up to Birmingham in a biblical downpour.

The guy came out after about four minutes to show me the totally shot rear wheel bearings. The day after it's MoT mind. He assured me that the bearing was probably fine the day before but the plastic dust sheilds had deteriorated over the years standing around and the floods on the A34/M40/M42/M6 had washed out all the lube and killed the bearings.

I was stuffed and stuck...

...right up to the point where he said 'We have them in stock, you want me to fit new ones all round?'

I think four new bearings, fitted, added about £25 to the bill and that on a day when they were bursting at the seams with customers and they had a totally captive audience in me. After that, I would trust them with anything  8)