Author Topic: Small hack?  (Read 16665 times)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
Re: Small hack?
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2017, 05:33:09 pm »
Brian, nice bike, what is she 250 exc circa ? or more poke. Watch the knobblies on the road, I found when I rode a knobbled up KTM it was only on the bends you could notice a bit of movement, nothing too disconcerting. Also lights are crap with a big K, can be sorted with a new aftermarket headlamp set ( not know � ) and if in traffic aftermarket Rad Fan maybe the way to go ?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:13:05 am by raesewell »
JS

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2017, 07:23:18 pm »
It is actually a 450EXC from 2004, so a bit of a beast, although all the reports of the early 450's say it is softer than some of the later ones.

It isn't exactly mint but I decided that if I spent the money on one which was 'perfect', then I would probably never want to even get it dirty, let alone take it off road 8) I looked at some which were so pristine that I wouldn't want to ride them on the road, let alone off it  ::)  I looked at one from 2006 that still had perfect paintwork on the original footpegs and to be honest, I felt sorry for it.

So, some work to be done tidying it up but it is scruffy enough that it won't break my heart if I drop it and hopefully scruffy enough that the local likely lads won't give it a second glance   >:(

It might need a 'slow action' throttle for me off-road, even the K13 is a bit twitchy for my 7-year-old-girl's wrists and I'm not planning on sitting in traffic on it so it shouldn't boil too often  8)  A couple of tea bags in the pocket will make the most of that!

If you remember my original 'need' statement, it was for a 'small' hack to use for the 3 mile trip to the gym to save using the K or the car and something to have a little bit of fun on in the lanes. I also wanted something I could fiddle with and fettle myself without having to run to the stealers every 2 minutes. I also didn't want the 'complication' of water cooling, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

I'm not quite sure which part of a 450cc bike with a metre high seat is 'small' apart from the bum comfort factor, but what the hell! It starts, it stops and it doesn't drag its arse on the floor; my arse may be another matter. And, with 33" inside legs I can get both feet on the floor, on the flat, with ease!

If it has been 'set up' at all, then it is probably for a lard arse and being a new-found skinny git (much like yourself  ;D ) then I have some work to do dialling it in.

Hopefully you will all notice that I took on board the comments about the ageing Honda XR250 that I was lusting after, (and which Paul C was kind enough to travel to vet for me, thank you Paul, but it was way over-priced even for a fairly pristine 6,000 mile old '98 bike) and also the comments about having both a kick and a motor for starting.

I was also super impressed by your comments (and others on t'internet) about the ability of the KTM chassis you rode on your off-road day. The 450 is exactly the same as the 250 in terms of size and weight so if I can't lug this one out of the mire then the 250 would still be sitting there as well. And, as my old dad used to say, 'what will go fast will go slow'. Mind, he also used to say 'what will hold a lot will hold a little' but I have never found that to be true about pint mugs   ::)

Brian (who now has no excuse for not getting out in this filthy weather  8) )

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2017, 08:18:47 pm »
Brian, The one I am going for, its engine is called an RFS (Racing Four Stroke) supposedly mega tough engine, inlet valves after few hundred hours / few thousand miles can soften and make adjustment problematic, fixable by a kit and you are done for life. Please let me know on a PM any contacts for  the minter 450 you spotted. I have a number in mind both 150 mile North and 160 miles South of here, so another one to consider would not be amiss. Frequent oil changes are the order of the day, this bike has a race engine afterall, not MX state of tune but tuned and grunty nevertheless, will pull wheelies in first 3 gears ! But also easy to ride and top dog suspension.

That hack is a top bike and according to the "Boys in the know" "They do not make them like that anymore ++++" the bits that really matter on them ooze quality
JS

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2017, 09:01:37 pm »
Both the minters were 2010 and have now gone off ebay.

Here's one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142292615251

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2017, 04:30:59 pm »
Well you live and learn my local TRF group have made me most welcome, some of whom I know from the past (not green laning) and most of them are riding 300's, mainly two strokes but all with one thing in common lightness. The opportunity came along to buy a mint Husqvarna 310 TE 2011 (previously owned by a very famous BSB star) and it being the lightest 300 in class, as light as the two strokes like the Beta, it was a no brainer. A mate of mine snapped my KTM up for what I paid for it and forgot the several hours he spent on sorting its starting issue out, including refurbished starter motor, new battery and other bits and bobs. He will either supermoto same or sell on in due course. The KTM 450 is a great bike with an awesome engine well suited to green laning where there is perhaps less naggery stuff and gate opening and closing as is the case round the Peak District and Staffordshire border. I am looking forward to also getting out with Paul C one of our long standing members on here when he gets back from his holidays. By the way the Husky is no slouch and it can rev its nuts off or good torque spread  go like steady Eddy as well !
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:42:54 am by JackSnipe »
JS

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2017, 07:16:33 pm »
We like to get out on the lanes sometimes with the TRF.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2017, 09:50:03 am »
TomL, Those lanes look inviting and different to those up here. Your number plates would not last for tops an hour around here. Mine like yours was a road bike based plate, lasted 10 miles never to be seen again !. Flexible small friend are the only way to go up here, with a road based one your are legal for a few miles then it gets ripped off and your are not, with the small floppy alternative at  least your are trying a bit harder to remain  in the spirit of the law  !
JS

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2017, 10:41:54 am »
Damn Brian!  I'm having a look at this tomorrow!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2017, 04:38:47 pm »
Hi Matt and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

What?

You're NOT a new member?

Damn, it seems so long, I'd forgotten you were in here  ::)

A administriser ya say?

Well, well  8)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2018, 11:21:00 pm »
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

The small hack that became a full-on KTM 450 EXC was superb on the hard, dry chalk lanes of the Berkshire and Marlborough Downs but up here in No-Green-Lanes'shire it is nothing but a chore and it was always way too big amd manly for li'l old me  ::)

So, before the Wrinklies, I paid the small local ex-KTM dealer to give it a once over with a view to selling it and when I got back it was no more. A sometime customer popped in on the off chance looking for a, well, you get the picture. So, gorn it is, to terrorise the Welsh hills, god spare 'em.

So, having made a little profit and still needing a small hack for some green lanes and popping into town etc. my eye was drawn back to the Honda 250XR style that I was looking at before the KTM came into my life...

...and so it was obvious that, being a bloke, and having to have the shiniest, sharpest, most expensive knife in the box, I bought a brand spankers Honda CRF250 Rally. I knew you'd agree, perfect choice.

Givi rack fitted with Monokey plate so the HUGE topbox can go on for shopping, gym bag, embarrassing the purists etc. (as well as letting passers by haul me out of the ditch on the green lane) 'tis being delivered, sight unseen, on Friday.

Now then, 250cc, 24bhp and a top whack of about 85mph...some change from the K eh  ::)

Just need a clamp-on Garmin mount for the 660 Zumo so I don't get nicked by a speed camera and I'm all set.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2018, 08:02:02 am »

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2018, 08:17:13 pm »
...and that only nipping to Tesco's  ::)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2018, 10:37:21 pm »
Yeah, and that's the newly resurfaced A road to Ledbury.  ;D

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2018, 10:38:32 pm »
Are you planning to go round the world on it like Steph Jeavons? http://www.stephmoto-adventurebikeblog.com/
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2018, 11:03:16 pm »
Not till it is run in Tom, so let's say next Summer  ::)