Author Topic: Phone/Tablet app access?  (Read 11331 times)

Offline Magus

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2006 K1200s but soon 2011 K1300s
Re: Phone/Tablet app access?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 02:37:03 pm »
Gentlemen

After immediate and widespread success, I have hit a small snag, but expect that we will have access via Tapatalk by week's end!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 02:40:26 pm »
Go on, admit it, you have given the world and his dog access to the Pentagon's internal website  ::)

Offline Magus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 02:58:04 pm »
We know you you all are now and we are disappointed...  8)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 06:53:10 am »
Still no light at the end of the t tunnel,  but as said it's not the end of the week yet, which week exactly?
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 12:17:45 pm »
I doubt this is going to happen, but that is not down to David.

More anon!

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 01:12:29 pm »
Yeah my thoughts exactly
Embrace the wind.

Offline Magus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 02:45:48 pm »
All - I got about half way down the road on the Taoatalk implementation and that's why you who are Tapatalk users, now see the option to use Tapatalk when you access the K Club website. Unfortunately, in order to finish it out (and actually use it!) it requires another step to be completed. I have been asked to back out if it for now, so not sure where things will go.

In the big scheme of things, this doesn't even register, so no great loss.

Regards
David

Offline Magus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 04:46:26 pm »
On a much more positive note the 'Beast' has arrived home and it is the rare 70F temperature time down here in the Swamp.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 04:46:44 pm »
I should add to and clarify what David has said.

Firstly, none of this is any reflection on David, other than in a very positive way. I have to thank him for his enthusiasm and for volunteering to get Tapatalk on board.

When we had this site built for us a year ago, none of the lifeboat crew were (and I guess still are not) competent or experienced in the implementation or maintenance of SMF as the basis of our forum.

If this is not still the case, speak up at the back, we need your experience now!

So, even Martin, who built the site at my request, in record time and at almost no cost, is not an SMF-competent person. What he is is a very experienced builder and host of websites for his customer base. I was able to prevail upon him because he is a long-time friend of PaulC and at that particular time, it was Paul, TomL and myself against the world. If any of the three of us had any pretentions to be a software implementation geek, we all hid it well!

The one big negative of this new site is the lack of a competent Admin who fully understands and is experienced in the use of SMF. We saw this when we tried to get better Smilies installed. Failed!

We are seeing it now with this Tapatalk stuff.

To fully implement Tapatalk, David (or any of us) would need access to the FTP Login, something which none of us has!  The FTP Login is essentially the key to the engine room of our site and if any of us ignorami got loose in there, all hell would probably break loose with wheels and gears and cogs and things flying all over the show! Understandably, as the person who is our sole de facto means of technical support, Martin keeps the key down his trouser leg.

Now, Martin is more than happy to give us the key, but from that point on his support for the site would be compromised; remember, he is NOT an SMF expert and if 'we' cock it all up, then 'we' is sunk and it is back to the bloody Faceache Lifeboat for those who can swim that far.

To further complicate matters, the SMF admins themselves (the ones who own and maintain the template on which our site is based) do not recommend nor support the use of Tapatalk on their platform.

Whilst lots of forum admins have asked about this, it is not forthcoming at the platform level. This is a weakness in the end customer experience of a forum built on SMF. Things might well be different if we were using vBulletin, as did the old site.

The SMF admins are however, working on a more mobile friendly gizmo which is, apparently, not too far in the future.

So, in the absense of a truly SMF-competent support person from within our own ranks, I am left with no option but to scupper all of David's good work and dash the hopes of those of you who would have used the Tapatalk wotsit.

To sum up.

David did a great job and I thank him for that.

Until and unless we either grow or kidnap an SMF-competent person to support our site, third-party add-on's like Tapatalk are a no-no.

We live and learn!

Brian (who never wanted it in the first place and is only being pig-headed because David is a 'murrican and worse than that, from Texas ;D )

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 04:58:20 pm »
I would start fm the other more interested side.
First , Bravo for the new bike , red is the color of fire and it fits perfectly with the surroundings in Texas am sure.
Second in my turn would like to express my gratitude for your efforts on the t.
ENJOY THE NEW BEAUTIFUL BEAST.
Did I mentioned that was in Fort killeen for training back in 1984?
Embrace the wind.

Offline Magus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 05:11:34 pm »
Right on the edge of the good riding in Texas, though you may have not had the time back then. From Houston, it's generally a good 2-3 hours of riding just to get to the start of the "good" roads...it's a big state!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 05:16:31 pm »
Full marks for trying and your bike looks keen to get going. ;)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 05:26:35 pm »
I believe many sites using Simple Machine software come up against this issue
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 08:11:39 pm »
I can manage without it. Vastly over rated imho
My main problem I now keeping up with the recent posting frenzy

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 09:10:35 pm »
....ben a bit frantic hasn't it?