Author Topic: Akra db killer removal  (Read 7597 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Akra db killer removal
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 02:02:55 pm »
I just find it tiring. Matt's Project SC is especially irritating without the baffle. I couldn’t understand why, on the Wrinklies trip, the exhaust note of Richard's bike was increasing long before he accelerated...

Eventually it dawned that it was not his bike I could hear but Matt's who was a couple of bikes in front!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 02:30:41 pm »
I just find it tiring. Matt's Project SC is especially irritating without the baffle. I couldn’t understand why, on the Wrinklies trip, the exhaust note of Richard's bike was increasing long before he accelerated...

Eventually it dawned that it was not his bike I could hear but Matt's who was a couple of bikes in front!

But it did pop nicely. As in EXPLODE.
Luckily, ear plugs were fitted. I said earplugs were... Oh never mind.

Not the loudest bike I've heard, but the loudest I've ridden with. But we've forgiven you, Matt.  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 06:48:32 pm »
The pop from the Akra as one shifts up is just delightful and very addictive. I find myself timing the pop to coincide with being alongside some dawdling, day-dreaming half-wit in a Maestro!

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 07:02:59 pm »
That's it ! I'm ordering  mine tomorrow.......

regards   Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 08:44:29 pm »
Akra or Maestro...

Offline DoctorW02

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S and R
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 05:12:33 am »
Thanks again for info.
Well, the db killer is out - tbf it doesn't sound particularly loud to me, deeper note, but not crazy volume. Certainly no where near the level of my sc project can on the 13R.
I'll see how it goes!!

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 08:25:12 am »
It's going to be the SC project one, I don't like the shape of the a
 Akra, or the maestro!!!! Plus the Akra would cost more than a maestro.

Mick

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 09:05:03 am »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 09:19:06 am »
Nah, you need to search more diligently for those Maestro babies. Here's one for the price of an 18k service :
http://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/general-forums/cars-parts-for-sale-wanted/326667-for-sale-maestro-2001-ledbury-used-daily-mot-jan-2019-%C2%A3450-tel-07931524781-location-wolverhampton-west-midlands
Oh, too late. Bargain!

Or if you want to go a bit more upmarket:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/austin/rover-maestro-for-sale-in-nice-condition-5-months-mot-4-nearly-new-tyres/1316799979
Someone's cleaned that engine beautifully - properly loved!

I have a relative who used to do up Marinas. He's not unhinged, just nostalgic. Well...  :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 09:54:25 am »
A colleague had a Maestro Turbo (rare at a production run of only 500) as a company car. It went like the proverbial in a straight'ish line but had so much torque steer that getting it out of a T-junction was a nigh-on impossibility resulting in shredded tyres and lots of smoke...

Montego turbo running gear and a Tickford body kit from memory. I think those were probably the longest three years of his life!

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2018, 10:28:30 am »
Haven't seen a Maestro for years.. I have seen a Metro and coincidently there are two Rover P6's for sale in East Sussex, both seen on the side of the road with window stickers advertising.. They are miles apart so not sure if it's the same seller..

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 04:04:27 pm »
A long time ago I had a beautiful 2000 TC P6, ice white with black leather.....Loved it

Regards.  Mick

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 04:52:07 pm »
Funny how the Japs copied all the good bits and now show us how it should be done.

Hard to get nostalgic about Maestros, Allegros, Avengers and suchlike.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 06:43:40 pm »
The downside with Kaizen (the Japanese approach to continuous improvement) is that they now feel they have to make changes even if only for the sake of change. Every year has to see new graphics, different this, updated that, even if the new is not significantly different from nor better than, the old.

The old English idiom of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' doesn't have an equivalent in Japanese and the problem with the old British way was that the makers couldn't see when it was broke so never did fix it. That was the bit that gave the Japs and now the Koreans et al, the opportunity to prosper.

I remember to this day seeing my very first Kawasaki Z1 in the car park at RAF Marham in 1972(?). I'd seen Honda's CB750 before but the Z1 was like something from an alien world and capable of a real-world 130'ish...

I was in a hiatus from biking at the time, more into rally cars and racing than biking but I remember feeling that someone, somewhere, understood what had caused me to become disenchanted with British bikes and that maybe this 'thing' before me was the answer.

It was another 8 or 9 years before the red and white Honda CB900F2C (Bol d'Or) catapulted me out of Mocheck on the south circular and into serious 3-figure cruising speeds and that was me back into bikes, this time reliable, comfortable, fast and capable of stopping with the best of them. Oh, and the virtually full fairing didn't fall off or rattle every few miles like the bolt-on Rickmans of yesteryear...

Ee, them wer't days  :D

Offline dynajohn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 06:15:42 pm »
Personally I like it in and they are not spot welded here in the US. If you can see the spot weld and it is accessible I would use a Dremel tool with a small cutting wheel to remove the spot weld.  No harm in taking it out to see if you like the sound or not if it can be easily reinstalled.