Author Topic: battery charger  (Read 11757 times)

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
Re: battery charger
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2019, 09:18:55 pm »
There are so many Optimate variations it baffles even the experts...

They are up to no. 7 already with many versions. The BMW CANbus-ready 4 version only comes with a lead for the 12v socket, not the direct battery lead. Other versions are packaged differently.

Mines an Optimate 4, bought from Nippy Normans, it came with both plug and direct connectors...Crocodile clips and a little... I gues you could call it 'spur'... that you can permanently attach to the battery terminals and feed a little plug up toward the headstock presume you could use it for a Garmin or some such if you get lost a lot as well as the charger.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:25:26 am by MadMountainbike »
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2019, 11:02:33 pm »
Charging your phone, your camera battery, running your video cam....the possibilities are endless.

Dunno how anyone exists on a bike  without a fly-lead  8)

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2019, 08:48:20 am »
I bought the Optimate 4 Canbus version from Infinity in November last year. It came with the lead to connect to the BMW accessory socket and a lead with crocodile clips for general use. It was already programmed for Canbus operation.

I have an earlier Optimate 4 (around five years of age) that I use on the "old" bikes with fly leads and for charging other batteries and, as the connectors on it are beginning to wear from changing the leads from one type to another, decided to buy the Canbus charger specifically for the BMW.

As an aside, the lead with crocodile clips supplied with the Canbus version is a far better product than the item supplied with the earlier, charger and I now use it in preference to the other.

The Canbus charger was around £30.00 cheaper than BMW's offering.

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:39 pm »
Went the optimate route now too:-) works a treat via the Canbus socket.  It was a badged version in Nippy Normans sale at £59...  Peter

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2021, 11:48:14 am »
Jumping on an old post here.

Have a Noco Genius trickle charger which I use on the KTM keeping it ready for occasional use, there is a flying lead adapter fitted that avoids lifting the seat etc.. I use the K1300 so much it hasn't needed a trickle charge but with any luck 2nd jab will come soon and allow me a holiday. Noco do a Din plug adapter lead for the charger. Will this allow me to trickle charge directly via the accessory plug whilst I'm away?

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2021, 02:14:56 pm »
Not unless it's CANBUS compatible.  The accessory plug on the K is only on when the bike is on.  My Optimate CANBUS trickle charger sends a signal to activate it when it is plugged in.

Other option is getting an SAE adaptor for the k wired directly to the battery.  If it's only a one time or occasional thing, I'd nearly use crocadile clips as it is so easy to access the battery on the K.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2021, 02:42:34 pm »
Cheers, thanks for the clarification, wasn't sure if the plug was live the whole time. I'll switch the flying lead from the KTM to the BMW, better if I need to give a full charge also.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2021, 05:39:14 pm »
Get an Optimate compatible, fused lead and wire it across. I have been using this method since 2011 with no problems. Forget the 12v socket. Also ignore BMW's warnings about charging via the battery, it's just a scare tactic to make you buy the BMW badged Optimate charger...