Author Topic: Ball joints  (Read 4091 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Ball joints
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 12:30:10 pm »
Never mind the K what’s the Suzuki  ;D

In 30 years time, folks will be lusting after the K half out of sight, with a massive old school petrol engine, analogue clocks, and an Akro.

(Note to Akropovic: you are going to need a new business model - and very soon.)

in 30 years time I'm not sure that's the case as getting an paying for the petrol is likely to be challenging.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 12:34:29 pm »
Is it just an iPad thing? All I get are large outlines with no piccies inside...

And the second time Bahnstormer did mine they knackered the threads but BMW stumped up the then £400'odd for the wheel carrier seeing as I had paid full price for the original ball-joints...

Offline Gingerchunkyboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 03:59:54 pm »
Never mind the K what’s the Suzuki  ;D

GT380A 1976 and behind my Yamaha RD250LC 1980

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 08:26:06 am »
That takes me back!  :winkthumbs:
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline DuncanH

• Love my K13S & GT. Also '66 Bonnie & Guzzi Dr John
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S HP (2016), K1300GT (2010)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: 1300S has no mods yet (except Aliant YLP14 Lithium battery & ally top-hats pressed into handlebar inner ends to take RAM ball mounts for satnav/phone) but fitting a full Akra, modifying induction/filters etc. GT has 244 degree exhaust cam, GPR titanium can, HP Motorsport Forged wheels (6" rear), Sargent seat, spoiler on screen, Aliant YLP30 Lithium Battery, carbon front mudguard, home-made overlapping rear mudguard extensions (lower half bolted to swingarm)
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 09:44:19 am »
took the front end apart today , removed the ball joints and on the top joint stripped threads. Ordered a new on from BMW £882 plus the £292 already spent on replacement ball joints also the top trailing link bearings are shot , and if im replacing them i might aswell replace the lower trailing link bearings so another £144 to the bill . She looks a sorry state all stripped down. On the bright  at least the front shock isn't leaking

Bike doesn't look bad for 70k miles.  Do you think the threads stripped due to seizure?

Think I'd have been tempted to get a second hand fork ("wheel carrier").  There are usually tons out there on eBay.  I've also been wondering about having it anodised as the plastic coating they use is OK at first but once salt water gets under the edges (and they seem to leave edges everywhere) it creeps and does what's happened on yours (mine doesn't look as bad but probably is underneath).  I had a decent result on my frame where I'd had the side-stand lugged tigged back on, by using Upol Raptor etching primer for difficult surfaces + RS Bike Paints Asphalt Grey + their lacquer
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:00:05 am by richtea »
Duncan

Offline beech

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexcone
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2021, 05:12:39 am »
I had to replace my ball joints at 36K miles, and again at 72K miles. Now at 130K and doing okay. You guys and the corrosion in the UK is really nasty. Sorry to see that. If I know the locals have salted the roads I do not go out until several days of rain have happened.  I buy my parts from Wunderlich and they are half the price of OEM ball joints. But that was 5 years ago.
beech
K1300S
S1000R