Author Topic: RADAR controlled cruise control....  (Read 341 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
RADAR controlled cruise control....
« on: April 26, 2024, 09:39:30 am »
...erm, well, maybe not so daft on a motorcycle when ev's are stopping quite agressively in front of you without showing a brake light.

https://youtu.be/U0YW7x9U5TQ

It's long but good. And if you think this stupid stuff is only in the good ole USofA where confusing brake and turn signals seem to be the law, the EU are also in the same pickle. Minute 22 talks about how 'we' have almost got it right, but not quite.

At least the RADAR bit knows the vehicle in front is doing a hard stop without brake lights, even if you don't and it puts you over the bars for not paying attention.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
Re: RADAR controlled cruise control....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 03:19:43 pm »
That EU regulation's § 5.2.22.3 he mentions, read "electric regenerative braking systems, which produce a retarding force upon release of the throttle pedal, shall not generate a signal". But it now seems to be modified into "activation of part of the service braking system by ‘selective braking’ or by functions whose primary intention is not to decelerate the vehicle (e.g. slight actuation of the friction brakes to clean the discs) shall not generate a signal". Which doesn't look too strange to me (yes indeed, before, the wording was strange and even dangerous).

Anyhow, I don't recognise that Hyundai's behaviour in my car (it only has one-pedal drive available). I don't know exactly how it works (I tend to think software-determined decelleration-based), but if I decelerate gently, my brake lights don't illuminate. And if I let go my acceleration pedal more eagerly (not necessarily fully released), they do. Once I'm completely stopped, they also illuminate (automatically). So I don't think there's a big difference with "normal" ICE cars...

And by the way : recall these Huyndai's ? Nowadays, there's also something called "Over The Air" (software) updates. Should all be fixable in 1 software update...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 09:17:36 pm »
As the guy said, the amount of decelleration depends on which of the regenerative modes you have selected. Mode 1 and 2 being virtually unnoticeable but 4 being the dodgy one.

As for a recall, it may be an over the air update but it needs a recall notice to make peeps aware of the need.

As with everything about ev's, almost no one knows exactly how their's works.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 09:13:34 am »
Ah this is something I was wondering when driving the Kia Niro (same platform underneath, or near enough). I used "iPedal" almost exclusively and did try a few times at night, where I'm sure the brake lights came on. Which makes me wonder whether it was programmed differently for different markets (I was in NZ).

Hmm it's a weird one. Adaptive cruise does light it up. Observation is key then, as ever! Both as a driver and as the audience. Lord I do hope it's just the US market configuration. @black-k1, can you attach a mirror to the back of your new bike and go and find out how yours behaves please? :D

I suppose the trouble with iterating fast on goods that have a decade-plus lifetime is many of these "ah we could have done this better" vehicles will be on the road for a very long time. Ref the headlights issues. Thankfully we're closer to ubiquitous OTA updates for all parts of cars as you say, and can limit the lifetime of many such issues.

I'm always conscious when following eVs though, that they can do some hella 'engine braking'.

More importantly, he's hiding a ponytail back there right?

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 09:29:51 am »
...and 'hella accelerating' too. On the bike this isn't a problem, but I am noticing more and more a 'my rate of change of speed is greater than yours' mentality of ev drivers when trying to overtake them in the car.

They are not driving fast because, well, no one else does, but they hate being overtaken so they out braaap you (without the braaap bit) when there is an overtake opportunity but then slow down again when there isn't.

People with exceedingly rapid cars who could behave in this way never do because a) with great power comes great responsibility and b) they never drive fast anyway.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 11:14:51 am »
As an IAM-defying* gear braking fan, I cannot possibly comment on this.  :-[

* 'gears to go, brakes to slow'

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 02:23:20 pm »
b) they never drive fast anyway......Some do, sometimes :)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 03:14:22 pm »
It was, of course, a sweeping statement and all sweeping statements are false. Most of the time  :D

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 07:33:14 pm »
It was, of course, a sweeping statement and all sweeping statements are false. Most of the time  :D

I think the behaviour you had described is "kind of" us bikers' behaviour : ride with traffic's flow, but if the opportunity presents itself, overtake the row in the blink of an eye. Bikes do it on 2 wheels, EV's do it on 4.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2024, 12:06:16 am »
My car is a real quick one, bikes get in my way of overtakes sometimes. I can almost see the surprised eyes in their helmets when they look in their mirror during a quick overtake and see my car gaining on them. But I do always honour the bikes to do their thing when I'm a car wa ker.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2024, 08:48:16 am »
My car is a real quick one, bikes get in my way of overtakes sometimes. I can almost see the surprised eyes in their helmets when they look in their mirror during a quick overtake and see my car gaining on them. But I do always honour the bikes to do their thing when I'm a car wa ker.

Nissan Note? :P
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2024, 10:13:31 am »
🤣 F-type R - for the curious. Third Jag V8 I've owned. Had it for 6 years, same 6 years as my 2nd K1300S. I keep what I like rather than changing for fashion or newness. I'm in my 70s and I reckon I've had fewer cars than most my age - 11 total. Also the only vehicles I've owned with 4 cylinders in line have been bikes.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2024, 10:22:50 am »

I think the behaviour you had described is "kind of" us bikers' behaviour : ride with traffic's flow, but if the opportunity presents itself, overtake the row in the blink of an eye. Bikes do it on 2 wheels, EV's do it on 4.

Er, no Phillipe. I have yet to see an ev being driven anything like 'we' bikers do, ie, overtaking anything on non-motorway type roads. My complaint is they use their acceleration to baulk following cars from overtaking on the few straights we have around here but then don't do anything about overtaking themselves. Not all ev drivers of course, just some of them.

And of course, most ev drivers are more interested in the so-called free power or are early adopters but even lowly ev's have quite startling acceleration from low speed, a basic function of the electric motor.

From conversations with other riders, most are not remotely sporty car drivers. I and apparently Andy, are the only two I know of who drive the same way they ride. I realise that, by definition, this forum is populated by those who appreciate and mostly use, the 'sports' bit of the sports-tourer tag of the K but unless you are a weekend warrior I doubt most of us ever see many really fast bikes out there. Over four days in mid- and north Wales this week, there were plenty of bikes out there but most were admiring the view or making a little progress at best. And that's OK. I never moan about slower riders because even in the car they pose no problems to me making progress.

It's those damned ev's that wind me up...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 11:33:58 am »
🤣 F-type R - for the curious. Third Jag V8 I've owned. Had it for 6 years, same 6 years as my 2nd K1300S. I keep what I like rather than changing for fashion or newness. I'm in my 70s and I reckon I've had fewer cars than most my age - 11 total. Also the only vehicles I've owned with 4 cylinders in line have been bikes.

Aahh one of my favourites! I love those things. I've always liked the XKR, and the F Type looked like the more modern and slightly more insane 'replacement' :D. My only concern was - as Brian hears from me all too often - I like my cars to be armchairs, and I wondered if the F was too far towards sporty times. For reference I have a 13 year old E class coupe with the 3L dirty diesel engine. Wafty Mc Waftface!

Oh yeah, as a feeble attempt to give a nod to the ostensible topic: does it have radar cruise? :D

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2024, 12:00:28 pm »
Er, no radar cruise. I've had that in a Lexus and find it a bit meh. Useful much of the time but annoying sometimes. F-type is no wafting comfort barge but it isn't as hard a ride as you'd expect, has switchable dynamic damping and not at all severe in normal setting. Loud, very very loud unless cruising with the exhaust valves closed.