Author Topic: New Member -  (Read 484 times)

Offline Andy_K

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Au Naturel - completely unadulterated !
New Member -
« on: March 20, 2024, 09:50:18 am »
Goooood Morning Alll !

New to the forum and new to the K1300S and Beemers generally !
Previous rides: Honda CBR1000F, and then another Honda CBR1000F (because I liked it)
Then I offed the CBR on a roudabout and migrated to old Jaguars... which fortunately the wife hated more the motorbikes...
So - I came home...  A Triumph rocket was integrated to the garage collection.
I have enjoyed the rocket, its a cross between a Rhinocerous and an armchair, but I still miss the precision that the old Super Sports Tourer offered.
A quick tour on a friends K1300S last year and that was the decision made !
I take delivery this weekend of a beautiful machine !

Looking forward to trawling the site for words of wisdom and basic maintenance tips  8)

Currently living in France just to the south of Paris.

Abientot !

Andy
I never dreamed I grow up to be a grumpy old man.... But here I am Rockin' it !

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: New Member -
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 09:58:13 am »
Hello and welcome Andy. The K1300S is a superb bike and I'm sure you'll love it, but it's not without it's "features". Have a good read through this site, and especially the buying guide, so you know what to look out for.

I'm looking forward to the pictures of the bike once you have it. What colour is it? (Motorsports are the fastest, closely followed by the black ones! ;)  )

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 10:45:12 am »
Hi Andy and welcome to the madness that is EuroKClub!

Does France still have that silly rule about restricted horsepower or does the K have the full whateveritis! Brian

Offline Andy_K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 11:09:04 am »
Nooooooo laws about power :)
Still possess all the power from its Factory Outing when delivered to UK !
and in fact... no laws about MOT's for bikes !  I am sure its a good thing   :-X
Andy

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 11:11:23 am »
Welcome Andy!

Just saw your update. So how do they assure (or pretend to) the safety of the bikes? Just checking so we know not to get too close to any this year :p.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Andy_K

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 11:27:35 am »
Well Being France it is of course a massively bureaucratic process generally referred to as "Natural Selection"
Daft enough not to look after your bike...   :o

I guess this explains the generally knackered state of scooters, but largely clean state of bigger bikes !

Police will still stop you and check if your bike has been modified (which isn't allowed), meets noise regs, and everything fitted works. 
And to tempt fate - I've been here 15 years and never been stopped on 2 wheels :-p

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 11:46:40 am »
Mange tout!

Speaking of peas, do you use a Bip and Go type tag on the tolls with your bike? We used these last year and it was only at the end of my long ass trip, coming north again, that I finally got somewhat reliably recognised by sticking dead centre in the lane thing.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 02:13:37 pm »
Welcome to the madhouse,cheapest advice is do lots of homework and understand how these K’s tick,they still need a few bob(Euro’s) to bring them into the 21’st century but it can be done,and I say that who is currently trying to get his head around(and failing) a MT10,can we have some photo’s.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 06:06:01 pm »
Careful Chris, you need to specify you want piccies of the bike or else Matt will send you a whole bunch of photos of his cat. And I don't mean catalytic converter.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:52:02 am by Phmode »

Offline Andy_K

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 08:43:43 am »
Mange tout!

Speaking of peas, do you use a Bip and Go type tag on the tolls with your bike? We used these last year and it was only at the end of my long ass trip, coming north again, that I finally got somewhat reliably recognised by sticking dead centre in the lane thing.

I have one for the car, and in the summer months it is an absolute life saver when arriving at the toll with HUNDREDS of others of all nationalities... the Telepeage is normally significantly emptier.. and for 2 euros a month or something...  of course forgot it this weekend... 

You can see the sensors as you approach, they are fixed on the left of the gallery, but in fact they are really sensitive, as is the tag itself.  I have a heated windscreen in the car and its enough to stop it sensing the tag.  Also if the tag is upside down, it really doesn't like it at all. I keept it in my chest pocket if its behind the phone it doesn't work.  Well done for discovering the magic road position though !  I shall continue to experiment :)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2024, 08:48:10 am »
I have the Emovis tag which I use on the bike and in the car never had a problem wherever I am in the lane works like a charm.
I have also never been misidentified, just drive up slow and steady and when you reach the sensor, bingo, up goes the barrier. It couldn't be easier.

Offline Andy_K

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2024, 09:06:07 am »
Careful Chris, you need to specify you want piccies of the bike or else Matt will send you a whole bunch of photos of his cat. And I don't mean catalytic converter.

Cat's are funny !  The thousands of hours dedicated to them on Youtube has to hold some truth surely ;)

Photo's to follow once I work out how to upload them...a garage to garage story - Basingstoke to Bretigny via Dover (that'll be the wet one) the boat and Calais !

I write up the journey in a 'first impressions' post in a little :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 09:29:23 am by Andy_K »