Author Topic: Are Road 5 / 6 more prone to punctures?  (Read 734 times)

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
Are Road 5 / 6 more prone to punctures?
« on: January 23, 2024, 02:02:19 pm »
I'm probably just looking for a pattern that isn't there, but are Road 6s more prone to punctures than, say, Angel GTs? I've had 2 punctures this year and the tyres on my k16 are coming up for replacement, so I'm wondering what to get this time.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Are Road 5 / 6 more prone to punctures?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 02:43:58 pm »
I've done many miles on Road 5s, I've had one Road 6 and have had a few O1SEs. I can't say that any tyre has been more or less prone to punctures and the rate of punctures is (anecdotally) no worse or better on these tyres that it has been at any point in my motorcycling. 
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 03:48:00 pm »
I've had more punctures on Angel GT/GT IIs than Road 6s, per mile. Very roughly around 1 puncture every 2 tyres, so once every 12-14,000 miles. Having said that, there's no pattern to it that I can discern - nothing like 'Ooo rough road' followed by 'Darn it, a puncture.' They're always random acts of deflation.

My IAM associates do say 'Well, I was taught not to ride down the centre of my lane because of the all bits that drop off cars and don't get swiped to the side of the road.' and variations on that theme.

They have a point, and it causes me to think (but no solid evidence) that I've had more punctures in the past 10 years, but I'll accept a safer position and possible punctures than a riskier position. Tyres are cheaper to replace than legs.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 03:55:17 pm by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 04:11:12 pm »
Especially your legs  :winkthumbs:

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 10:31:24 am »
You do see a lot of posts of Road 5s and 6s getting punctures, but that is probably just because a lot of people use them.

Just one point though, Michelin withdrew the Road 5 for the K16 range as it comes up a little on the large size and can rub on the swingarm under certain circumstances, so go for a PR4 or R6. I found Dunlop Roadsmart 3s and 4s really suited to the big K, fantastic grip and good ride quality  :)

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 11:26:40 am »
Well I must be very lucky, or unconsciously doing something right, but I've been riding since 2007, and only had 2 punctures in that time.  I reckon that works out to about one every 60k miles.  Both were Bridgstones, S20 on my Fireblade many years ago, and T31 on the K last summer.  Michelin has been my tyre of choice over the years, although I do shop around, and can end up on something else depending on the prices on offer.
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 11:34:21 am »
I use Puncturesafe and have only ever had one puncture and it was a biggy as Richard can attest to  :thumbsupgood:
I'm sure the goop slowed down the deflation.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 06:18:42 pm »
Nerg Nail always lurks in the gutter unless he has only just fallen off a white builder's van. I never get closer to the nearside edge of the road than the nearside wheel tracks of cars.

IAM/RoSPA types and police motorcyclists seem to be in the gutter half of the time. Both coppers I rode with on BikeSafe courses said they had punctures all the time but they didn't care cos you and I were buying their tyres for them.

My mileage isn't high but I have only had one puncture on the bike since 2004 and that was while it was parked outside a pub while we were having lunch. I've since stopped eating lunch.