Author Topic: K1300s rear top box  (Read 4025 times)

Bullet

K1300s rear top box
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:44:59 pm »
HI Guys,
Been a while since posting but i want to put a rear top box on the bike. I have the thick 2 arm grab handles on at the moment with the clear plate that bridges them, which the tail bag fits on nicely.
Question is, what do i need to fit, say, a givi box, besides the monkey plate ?

And if anyones selling one, pm me

Ant

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Re: K1300s rear top box
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:37:28 pm »
My Givi box has tubular grab handles that replace the thick handles. Includes pannier mounts and the Givi plate. Inherited, sorry I have no source info.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:45:40 am »
There are a few options but I think the neatest is the SW-Motech Alurack...

https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/alu-rack-black-bmw-k-1200-s-05-08-k-1300-s-09-

It replaces the stock handles with two steel tubular ones and a small, neat flat plate that sits above the rear light, almost invisible when it is on by itself.

To this plate, you fit the Givi Monokey (for the bigger boxes) or Monolock (for the smaller, scooter type) plate with 3, 1/4 turn cam-locks and then the box goes on that. You can leave the Givi adaptor plate on, or off as you desire.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:57 am »
You want to fit a top box?.....

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

howlindawg

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:50:19 am »
Hopefully this works.
This should Show the SW-Motech rack with Givi box and the Hepco&Becker rack and Box.

Both options replace the stock grab handles.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:50:49 am by howlindawg »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:55:58 am »
Love the planning that went into that animated pic.

Bullet

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 09:56:58 am »
You want to fit a top box?.....

Yeah, got my son over with his girlfriend from Australia in May and wants to go touring. Rather than hire a bike he may as well use my K and i'll use my GSA.

Plus it will help from losing the Mrs if we go out on it, she's one of those that doesn't pay attention and i end up with feet in my armpits  :o

Bullet

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 09:59:21 am »
Yeah thats very helpful animated pictures, thanks for taking the time to do it.  But whats wrong with the stock arms ? they seem strong enough Brian.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:01:16 am »
There's nohing 'wrong' with the stock plastic rack, if you have it as it is an option, as long as you want to use a bag or a BMW top box, although I have seen them shear off in a tumble. Granted, it was a big tumble...

However, if you want to use a Givi box (which I have moved across my last three bikes) you need to either make something to adapt to the stock rack, or replace them with e.g. the SW-Motech or H&B rack system. If you don't already have the stock rack fitted, then the other options are cheaper and give more flexibility.

Bullet

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 12:09:21 pm »
Ah, never checked to see if it was plastic as it seems pretty rigid. The same as the FJR set up that you have to do.

Ill see what i can do

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 01:06:48 pm »
Do I understand it correctly that you already have the topbox available, and that it's a Givi one ? Or don't you have a topbox yet, and that you still have to buy one (brand still to be determined) ?
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 04:16:42 pm »
No, Ant is looking for a top box. A BMW would fit on the rear rack I assume and that would be the 'easiest' solution for the duration of a holiday. If he goes the Givi route it will need a different rack.

Do you have a spare BMW box then Phillipe?

Bullet

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 05:26:05 pm »
I had the rear bag thing but sold it on here. Theres a givi im currently looking at that comes with everything. Whats the difference with the BM box then, is it just the fitting ?

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 08:37:32 pm »
I used to have a Krauser topcase combination like this mounted on my K1300S, together with a Krauser K5 topcase like this (47liters). Therefor, you first of all MUST have the special BMW- handgrips (think it's called like that in English ?). So what you need then ( = IF you have these special BMW "handgrips") is
(a) an adapter plate (K1300S/K1300R- specific) and fixed on top of it
(b) a Krauser (more generic) plate specific for the K4 or K5 cases of Krausers. I think both (a) and (b) are included in the first link.

I still have a spare part (b) like this as I bought myself a new such part (to have a fresher one to mount on my VFR800F which I bought last year), should you decide to use a Krauser topcase. But then again, you'd still miss the (a) part I mentioned.

So IF I understand the Krauser website properly, you'd be travel-ready after spending 290€ : 120€ for the (a) and (b) combination, and 170€ for the K5 topcase.

In my opinion, the Krauser topcase solution was the most elegantly looking I found, years ago.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Bullet

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 08:57:39 pm »
They are indeed the arms i have at present.
Looks ok, but ive done a deal on a givi V47 with the rack etc. and collecting tomorrow. £150
Chilly 3 hour ride south but should be dry at least.....so if your out and about between lincs and surrey and see a k with a top box strapped to it, its me. Dont think ill have the tools to fix whilst there.