Author Topic: Motobatt MB51814 spare terminal request?  (Read 525 times)

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
Motobatt MB51814 spare terminal request?
« on: August 07, 2023, 02:01:30 pm »
As I have most of the tupperware off the GT for an inspection and clean I decided to fit the Hex ezCAN device while access was wide open and so located the device itself where the cheap & tacky reversible screwdriver used to go which was a perfect position to connect into the DWA plug & harness and dress the cables including running the long cable through to the battery.

Noticing the second set of battery terminals opposite the existing (or at least the blanking plugs where they could be fitted depending upon handing of the bikes wiring harness - see photo) I figured it would make it a nice, neat job if I could connect the ezCAN connections to this other side of the battery leaving just the two (actually three - is the second heavy duty positive cable signs of the poor hot start retrofit harness recall?) heavy duty OEM cables where they are. I know from experience the more you disturb battery terminals the more you risk upsetting the electronics, stripping the threads when tightening and I don't like to see ring cripps on top of ring crimps on top of...well you get the idea.

While I'm at it I am also renewing the poor quality, badly routed harness to the cigarette lighter adaptor in the faring inner panel as it was too short and it looked like the crimps had been put on with the cutting edge of pliers rather than a proper crimping tool.

Seeing Motobatt are in the US I rang their distributor Hendler in Goole to check that I could indeed utilise both sets of terminals which they confirmed I could but they do not have any in stock although they are expecting a container in a couple of weeks time.

They gave me the telephone number of Race IT in Doncaster as the best bet but they too have no stock and said they were the old type terminals anyway.

Not wishing to stick a couple of very short 6mm bolts of unknown provenance directly into the battery I was wondering if some kind soul might have an old battery with unwanted terminals or a spare set of these terminals & the short securing bolts kicking around please?

The bike had a new Motobatt battery two weeks before I bought it at the end of February which according to the previous owner was the second one since 2014 so I could at a push contact him to see if he might still have the old one kicking around but thought I'd throw it out here first.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
Re: Motobatt MB51814 spare terminal request?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 05:29:59 pm »
Hi Glyn,
you're in luck. I replaced a motobatt recently and haven't gotten round to recycling the old one yet.

I have the two lugs taken off and can send them to you. Just DM me your address.
I have the two bolts that screw into the battery, and the two brass U pieces.

I'll throw them into an envelope as soon as i have your address.

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 06:25:14 pm »
You're a star corkboy...I'll pm you just as soon as I have posted this!  :winkthumbs:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 12:29:39 pm »
Just to let you know the 6mm bolts have just arrived along with the brass terminals but as they raise the profile of the connections very close to the battery retaining bar I think I'll just use the short 6mm bolts to secure both the accessory cigarette lighter that I can also plug my CTEK into and ezCAN power cables ring crimps directly to the rear set of terminals on the Motobatt.

Wouldn't want any unauthorised welding going on especially that close to the petrol tank... :o

Many thanks for that Corkboy! :thumbsupgood:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 01:02:59 pm »
Glad I could help.

Offline Capt Howdy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2008 K1200R owned since new
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus exhaust AX-FIED Wilber’s shocks
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 09:29:33 am »
You could use a dremel or a half round file to scallop the bar out a bit around the bolt
It’s so nice to be insane. No one asks you to explain

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 03:12:05 pm »
Not sure I'd want to do that tbh but it all looks good to me as it is now...and I'm fussy!  ;)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-