Author Topic: more oil than it started with  (Read 6569 times)

Offline iamk1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s Anniversary
  • Modifications and add-ons:: top bridge from the R model
more oil than it started with
« on: March 30, 2018, 10:34:19 pm »
Has anyone else had this happen? My K13 never needs the oil topping up between services, it just never seems to burn any. It's the 2013 30th anniversary model now with 52K miles. I've just started using it again this last month after a break for a few weeks and when I checked the oil level it's up above the max mark. I always check the oil cold at the start of the day. I know it's not meant to be done that way but for me it's a comparator. It's always near the max mark, the day before or the day after a dealer service. That way I know there's sufficient oil before I start it. It would appear more oil is being retained in the oil tank than usual. I've noticed it does now clatter a bit at start up as though that oil being held back should be in the engine.
Any Ideas?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: more oil than it started with
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:53:15 pm »
The clatter at start up is the oil being lost from the cam-chain tensioner when it stands, particularly if it is left on the side stand. This can be caused on a late model bike by the  'O' ring seal in the tensioner failing and letting the oil drain back into the sump thus allowing the chain to rattle when it is started until the oil pressure builds up.

The 'O' ring is a replacement part so don't let them con you into a new tensioner and it is easy-peasy to do it yourself.

As for the oil level, do the check properly, when hot and see what it is doing then. Mine never uses any either. It ain't normal and it ain't clever but lots do burn oil.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 11:03:38 am »
Mine sometimes clatters on starting up so if it hasn't been used for a while I turn the engine over on the starter four or five times to circulate the oil before running the engine. It seems to work.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline iamk1300s

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 11:39:44 am »
The point I’m making is that there’s now more oil in the tank than there would normally be. I’ve not added any so I can only guess not as much is returning to the engine.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 11:52:33 am »
The point I’m making is that there’s now more oil in the tank than there would normally be. I’ve not added any so I can only guess not as much is returning to the engine.

A very long shot (and hopefully not the problem you're having): the only time that's happened to me was a head gasket leak on a car (not the K). The oil was being 'topped up' by the water leaking in. Eek.
If nothing else solves it, it might be worth checking the water level isn't low, and whether there's any emulsion/white in the oil.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 12:21:33 pm »

Unless you are checking the level iaw the manual then I wouldn't want to speculate. Hot, as in a really good run of at least 20 miles to get 'everything' hot and then see what it is.

There should be very little that drains back into the sump. Firstly because the sump isn't big enough to hold much, really just a dished plate and secondly because it has to get past the vanes in the pump and in theory they are almost 'oil proof'. But, as Richard says, if the water level is going down it is worth checking for the head gasket leak.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 12:22:56 pm »
Or unburnt fuel, which is very doubtful from a fuel injected engine

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 01:04:08 pm »
Could be an injector stuck open. Take the oi filler cap off and have a sniff.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline iamk1300s

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 12:45:31 pm »
Ok so I’ve had an 80 mile round trip this morning for breakfast at shuttleworth. Before I set off the oil level was above max. I unscrewed the filler and the oil was to the top. It both smelt and looked like oil should. The water level was at the max mark and smelt and looked like coolant. Nice bright blue colour. 15 mins after returning I did the same checks and got the same results. The bike runs perfectly. So why is the oil level above where it should be?
Btw I can highly recommend the Shuttleworth collection as a ride destination. Good food, friendly staff  and you could spend the day exploring the collection of aircraft, cars, buses and bikes.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 04:41:10 pm »
Did you do the level checks iaw the manual? Saying it was above max before you set off suggests not before the ride. Saying you checked it 15 minutes after you got back suggests you didn't do it iaw the manual then either.

I doubt anyone can help until we know the level is checked iaw the manual. If you check it iaw the manual and the level is too high, do what it says in the manual to correct the level, it really isn't rocket science.

If you correct the level and it keeps going up, you have a problem.

If you correct the level and it doesn't, when checked iaw the manual, then you have no problem.

To help us, the following would be useful...

Who did the last oil service?
When was the last oil service in terms of miles?
Have you ever done the oil check iaw the manual?
If so, what was the level?
If you have never done the check iaw the manual, why not?
If never, what have you got against the manufacturer's recommended method?

Offline iamk1300s

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 08:15:36 pm »
Well this is becoming more complicated than I expected. Forget any reference to how the manual says you should check the oil. It doesn’t matter a jot. I’ve done 52k miles, the oil level has never changed from near the max mark. The bike is always serviced by the main dealer, Wollaston’s Northampton. Last done at 48k. For some reason it has suddenly jumped to over full. I’m just asking has that happened to anyone else and why should that be?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 10:42:54 pm »
So long as it doesn't continue rising I wouldn't worry about it. You are only looking at the level in the oil tank and a little bit over in the oil tank will do no harm.

It would not be so good on a wet sump engine if the oil was higher than max on the dip stick.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Ian Jay

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 12:29:22 pm »
I noticed differing oil levels, too.  Slightly perplexed, I sat with a cuppa and pondered this strange phenomenon for a while and came to the conclusion that the oil level was very sensitive to where it was standing.  That is to say, that when I ensured that it was fully upright, and on a level plane (on both axes) the oil levels did no vary.  Yet with a slight variation the oil level indication would change.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:31:41 pm by Ian Jay »
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there are vitamins, in water - bacteria!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 01:25:33 pm »
The sight tube is on the right of the oil tank so it is obvious that a different reading will be seen from upright (higher) than on the side-stand (lower) and is the reason the manual says upright and indeed, if you have one, on the centre stand. Interestingly it doesn't say on the level fore and aft if no centre stand.

There are so many variables involved in checking the oil level that if your conditions are not exactly the same check to check then no valid comparisons can be drawn.

Offline Ian Jay

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 06:30:29 pm »

As a former 'Grand Master of the Muppet's', I can only offer an opinion.  But if we think about the position and size of the oil tank, the answer should come naturally.   BTW, it (The BMW Manual) does not say that you should not urinate in the fuel tank, either, but common sense should dictate the order of the day.  (A few more negative Karma points on the way, I fear).

The sight tube is on the right of the oil tank so it is obvious that a different reading will be seen from upright (higher) than on the side-stand (lower) and is the reason the manual says upright and indeed, if you have one, on the centre stand. Interestingly it doesn't say on the level fore and aft if no centre stand.

There are so many variables involved in checking the oil level that if your conditions are not exactly the same check to check then no valid comparisons can be drawn.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there are vitamins, in water - bacteria!